free hit
counters
Tyres - Current Thinking - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
robington

Tyres - Current Thinking

Blimey - I have done so many miles since I had the Esprit the rear tyres look close to needing replacing, also they are the Goodyear NCT's, so are very old which is a good enough reason to replace anyway.

What's the current recomended tyre that's still available?

Pirelli P600 or Dunlop SP1 or others?

Have any of you had a recent experience and can point me to the best supplier?

Thanks

Rob

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I switched my tyres out this summer, so had the same dilemma you're now going through. I was going to opt for the Pirelli's, but the reviews weren't great.

I ended up going with the BFGoodrich Radials, which I believe were a fairly recent addition in the sizes I needed (I have an '86 HCi)

I went a size up and replaced mine with 205/60/15's on the front and 245/60/15's on the back. I'm really pleased with them. I don't track my car, just spirited highway miles and they've been really solid tyres.

I've probably put 3.5k miles on the since the summer. The cost was about $680 for all four corners (fitted) which was $320 less than the Pirelli's

They look big, fat and wide. Lovely!

Great grip, good in the wet. No issues for me.

I'd buy them again.

My old tyres looked to be in good shape, lots of tread etc, but were 11 years old on the front and 6 years old on the back. The new tyres make the old ones feel l like they were made of solid stone! Well worth a purchase IMHO smile.png

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

I've been using Vredestein Sportrac 3 tyres...had to use 225/60 for the rears as the original size isn't available. Very happy with them, no issues with grip wet or dry; modern rubber is better than the old Goodyear stuff, anyway. Also, the tread is designed by Giugiaro and the tyres bear his name, too! You need to run at higher pressures than the Goodyears to stabilise the sidewalls, I found the factory very helpful for queries.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I ended up going with the BFGoodrich Radials, which I believe were a fairly recent addition in the sizes I needed (I have an '86 HCi)

I went a size up and replaced mine with 205/60/15's on the front and 245/60/15's on the back.

Adam, would you be able to post some pictures?

Jaap

tyre2.jpgtyre.jpgtyre3.jpg

Not great pics, but hope they help.

They've been great tyres so far.

Many thanks Adam - I think I might go for these too - did they come with white lettering/did you place those looking into the chassis? Somewhere else on this forum somebody reported terrible grip with BFG's - strange..?

Jaap

Yes, they have the white lettering on the inside.

Never lost grip with them and I drive mine daily :)

I'm running the Vreds on my Scirocco and something sure, I highly recommend them.

They're smooth, quiet and sticky.

You get the Giugiaro on the sidewall as a bonus.

My old goodyears are dry and noisy, I just can't wait to replace them...

Luc

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I like the look of the Goodrich tyres, but in the UK they're only available "S" rated which is good for 112mph and therefore not legal to fit on the Esprit.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I have a picture with a pair of Esprit, one with Goodyears and one with the Vreds, I'll try and post it during the weekend.

Other than the sidewall finish and the somewhat taller front sidewall (205 available only), I think it's hard to tell the difference.

By the way John, at what pressure do you ride them?

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

The photo was not taken with tires in mind, the cars are a little far...

DSC_5558a.jpg

I agree that the BF Goodrich tread might look a little more like what would be installed in 1986.

I'm wondering, with square chunks like that, aren't they noisy?

By the way, you probably guessed it, the white one has the vreds...

Luc

Edited by Mesprit87

Not noisy at all. Great ride and handling.

Money well spent IMHO.

My current thinking on tyres is that they are good things to have on your rims.

Yes indeedy. :yes:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Humm, profound!

Yes indeedy.

I had decided on the Vredesteins mainly because of Johns recomendation and I liked the idea of the Guigario name on the sidewall!

Trouble is, I can't find them locally - I am being quoted for Continentals at the moment, so 2 questions really.

Anybody know who supplies the Vred's in the Northants area?

or does anybody have any experience of the Continentals.

Thanks in advance

Rob.

would have thought 255 too wide and 60[%] will make tyre too tall.Thought these tyres were for 4x4

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Appears that apart from Pirelli p600(150mph) the only tyres available in the correct size are Goodrich and General Grabber but these only rate at 118mph..not worth the risk. Dilema as dont trust the old rubber on NCT 1 anymore but need a tyre rated to 150mph apart from the Pirelli, but there is'nt one. Solution..why not change wheels? Hmmm

That is indeed the question Chris, which wheels? I really like the old BBS wheels, but am similarly needing to move on from the old Goodyear rubber. Haven't yet found a wheel I like, but even if I could find one, I worry that it would completely change the feel of the car. The suspension (and therefore handling/ride) were designed around 60 series tyres at very low pressures. The sidewall flex provides quite a bit of the overall travel. Swapping them out for some modern ribbons at 3bar pressure will potentially improve roadholding on smooth surfaces, but at the expense of any sort of ride comfort and handling on our potholed roads. But hard to just make do with the Pirellis.....tough choice!

Edited by MPx

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I have just bought a spare set of wheels that have come with these tires on the rear in 235/60/R15 http://www.shopbot.ca/ps-cooper-cobra-radial-gt-23560-r15-98t-rwl-asymmetric-ganzjahresreifen-28152438.html

Are they any good? Not sure what rating they are..

Lex

The speed rating of the tyres you have shown, under full load, is just 118 mph. Not high enough for a 150 mph car IMHO.

How you tell is the 'T' at the end of the description of the tyre. Ideally you want 235/60 R 15 V or 235/60 R 15 W

John

Edited by Mr_John111