free hit
counters
What a Lotus Should Do Out of the Box - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What a Lotus Should Do Out of the Box

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WausauLotus

What a "cool" series of videos. I saw several close to red line "revs" and the camera views (front and back) are great. Obviously no one is concerned about the dreaded "concealed hair dryer" being pointed at them!

Dave

Why do Lotus need to build a car that can beat 1000cc bikes?

That's not what they are about.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I feel a bit sick watching those but it might just be the looking back view. Amazing though they are im not sure wizzing up and down the rev counter every 3 seconds is what its about for me IMO. But it would be a boring world if we all did the same.smile.png

I have to say I'm with Frank, I didn't fall in love with Lotus 50 years ago to go do the grocery shopping.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

There are two things every Lotus should do, straight out of the box.

Firstly, simply looking at it ought to make you dribble.

Secondly, it should be capable of frightening you witless, but keep you out of the scenery!

The longer you have it, the less frightening it should become - with practise and common sense - but the "dribble factor" should remain potent forever.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Guest surferphil

Love bikes, love fast cars, don't understand sports cars that look reasonable or funky, go reasonably well or handle all right.

They should do all 3 things exceptionally well and A Lotus Elite did none of them well 20 years ago. The S1 Esprit to me is like an old lady who never lost her looks but all new Lotus super/sports cars should be like a sports bike.

The Lotus Elan was the first car to excite me in the same way my Bike did need a lot more power now though.

Yippeee! Our favorite "keep their feet to the fire" "they will never take me alive at the factory" performance gadfly is back! Glad to see that the brouhaha over at "The New Lotus?" thread didn't scare you off, Frank. Occasional persnickety commentary has its place here, along with the usual loyalty oath requirements to post one's observations on the evolution of the marque.

Keep on keepin' on, bro.

rambo.gif

p.s., Having watched more than a few of your canyon du jour videos, I am more convinced than ever that your lawyer and the L.A. Chief of Police are close acquaintances.laugh.png

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Dudes my wife and I are coming over for an Exiges event at Anglesey April 5-7 and then I wanna visit the factory and see if I can get the good guy tour for the real Lotus mentals....

It was cool runnin with my two wheeled buddies at speed showin them that a Lotus is a serious bit of kit when put to task.....

It was not a race but a nice weekend afternoon drive at their pace..... The rocket pig could pull a tuned R1 at any speed..smoke.gif

I've ridin for years and these guys are TT quick...

Now if Lotus could produce a true performance sportscar out of the box they may have something that no other manufacture can touch...... My buddies have never ridin with any car that could keep their pace let alone pull away....Look closely and notice no drama with the steering, no squealing tires and still no need to cross the centerline...

This is what the next Lotus should do out of the box not some poser crap screamin look at me I'm shiny....Or this will be my last Lotus...

PS: The roads in NYC suck and would kill a Lotus if driven as a Lotus should be driven..harhar.gif

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Now if Lotus could produce a true performance sportscar out of the box they may have something that no other manufacture can touch...... My buddies have never ridin with any car that could keep their pace let alone pull away....Look closely and notice no drama with the steering, no squealing tires and still no need to cross the centerline...

How about the T125? I say light heartedly... In all seriousness though, what would you think if Lotus really did sell a car like the T125, or your Ronin Exige to anyone looking to drive on public roads. You have had years of driving experience and I imagine that your Lotus didn't develop this kind of performance overnight, as a result you will have been slowly accustomed to it's awesome abilities. The T125 comes with a whole package of support to help prevent the worst from happening...

I believe that Lotus are capable and indeed have already created a true performance sportscar out of the box, but being in the business of making money they choose to create cars that keep the likes of me safe.

Your car Ronin is very interesting. Have you ever thought of summarising your work into a blog or video, If you haven't already...

Edited by Frosty

He owns an Exige, I have criticisms, of my Esprit, as I did of my Elans, but the driving experience is without rival, as I beleive Frank's videos attest to.

For the record my Esprit is 20 years younger then my fisrt Elan, and the brakes equaly as catastrophic, when driven hard, I often reflect they didn't learn much in those 20 years.

Being critical doesn't mean you can't still be a fan.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I wanna vist the guys that put the shit together on the work floor and drive them around track testing not some guy that comes from designing sneakers to having the real workers spray chrome orange paint and then claiming he's now a designer...

I wanna talk to suspension designers and engine builders not the head of marketing of a city car....

I want Lotus to remain the manufacture of the best cars to be driv en not seen in...

I stepped up in 83 and speak from expereance not bullshit....And turned up the boost and modified the suspension for the canyons

post-8085-0-03715000-1326034075.jpg

Edited by ronin

I'll be coming over with my wife so the night life will be limited I think.... I would like to meet the grunts that do the real work

Yeah that's me back in 85as you can see time has been crule...turned.gif

post-8085-0-26308000-1326043180.jpg

Guest surferphil

You should try and get to see the motorsport guys, last time I was there they had some of their customer GT Exiges on show but I expect it's grown a lot since then.

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02261.jpg

side note:

The Trans Ams Gold and Black Colour scheme is based on....... Lotus JPS scheme. (read it in some mag)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The power to weight of modern motor bike is around 1kg per BHP, to put this in context you need 800 bhp for an elise. A track test done by an bike mag in Australia between 911 GT3 and stock 1000cc bike both set lap time that were very close, The car was faster through the corners and slowed down in less distance (car have better contact and grip with the road), but the bike able to use its power on the straights to make that time back.

The roads in NYC suck and would kill a Lotus if driven as a Lotus should be driven..

Like any city, so do the roads in LA, so why don't you ditch the public roads and go to a track where your car can truly shine, which I'm sure it would?

Also, nice '83 Special Edition Turbo. Were you an original investor in LPC?

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Come on dude my friends have to plan a route to the island in order to run their bikes without bending a rim.... You can't win against an old NYC cabbie on this one.

Yup and I don't wanna kill myself with a car as fast as mine on track..... A man has to know his limitations and I get bored going in circles....

That was already my third Lotus and this was my first and only ticket I ever got runin in the twisties while showing a buddy from France Mullholand Dr that same day from a Paxton supercharged Mustang....Nice CHIP we talked about the Lotus for a while since he did cut me a break on the speed......only because I stopped...

I want Lotus to build cars for nuts like me.

post-8085-0-64320100-1326258949.jpg

Edited by ronin

Come on dude my friends have to plan a route to the island in order to run their bikes without bending a rim...

Well, yeah, dude, tell me something I don't know. You seem to think I'm talking about tear-assing around on the Harlem River Drive, or Manhattan generally, which I've never said or have any interest in doing. Presumably you need to drive a bit to get to the twisties, so why is that any different than driving a bit to get to the Hudson Valley or Long Island or CT? Sorry, but not everyone in the world can live in your neck of the woods, nor does it contain the best roads in the world.

Regarding track vs. the twisties, let's just say we have different ideas about responsibility on public roads, which frankly, I'd think a guy of your age and experience would have a greater appreciation for, if only for your own safety, but it's fairly obvious from your videos and the incessent, chest-beating "look at me" tone of your postings that you don't much care for rules of the road or by extension the safety of others. And what exactly are you saying about your Exige on a track?...that you can't actually handle it on a track without killing yourself? That seems a pretty weak excuse, and given your obvious driving skill I actually find it hard to believe. Presumably you post these videos because we're supposed to be impressed, which in a way they are, but I'd be a lot more impressed if you took your car out to Laguna Seca or such and pit it against some others guys's Exiges and ate their lunch.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S