free hit
counters
Nice Essex in USA - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
red vtec

Nice Essex in USA

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That car has a very interesting history . . . my understanding is that it is not, officially, a genuine Essex . . . but its actual story is just as, if not more, interesting: If I am not mistaken, it is one of three Esprits "grey-marketed" into the States for 1980/81, and left the factory in Monaco White with a full Essex decal kit in the boot, with its own sequential number.

If this is the one I think it is, it was for sale in Maryland a few years ago. A bunch of people poo-pooed it because of it not being a "genuine" Essex car . . . but I think being one of those three Esprits alone is just as cool, and I'd have snapped it up myself if I'd have had room for one more car! Whoever bought it is both smart and lucky! :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I really like this car.

I remember seeing one on the cover of a magazine in the early eighties

It was SO over-the-top! Bright blue with silver/red accent strips and red interior?

Too much!

Tony,

I thought only the Essex cars had the Panasonic (?) roof-mounted stereo.

I suppose a non-Essex could be retrofit OR leave the factory with one.

I'm curious.

Some dry sump turbo's had the Panasonic roof stereo - was not just Essex models - although these had it as a standard fit I think. I fitted one to my S3 - but obviously was not standard...

Can someone post some photos of this Panasonic roof stereo thing? I have never seen one and I am curious.