free hit
counters
Fuel Tank Foam - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TLF member Mike Sekinger had a ton of this stuff at one time and offered to post it out to anyone who needed it. However he has since sold his car, whether he held onto stocks is unknown, you could try an email/PM?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

My S1 has 1/2" (from memory) and I'm sure it's original. It's that reconstituted stuff which is mult-coloured.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

You could use Neoprene, it does not hold water.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I used one of those kneeler mats you can buy at autojumbles but I seem to remember I got it off ebay.

Make sure you replace it with something that does not hold water, thr original stuff was like a thick sponge which is the main reason why the tanks rust out. Use a closed cell foam, or alternatively an open mesh matting which allows water to drain away easily. It's about 1" thick.

Too many Toys are never enough !

This is something I just did - went to a foam rubber supplier and asked for a closed cell petrol resistant variety (any colour, got black) that was 20mm thick. Easily cuts to shape with a new blade in your knife.

20mm was a bit thick and it made clamping the tanks back in place a bit of a trick, with the upper bulkhead & wheel arch fixings. The previous post of half inch would be near the mark. Don't go too thin or you will loose the clamping that is achieved by the compliance of the foam. The last think you'd want is a tank (or two) full of fuel rattling around in the back...

If your old foam was wet or if the tanks were rusting excessively, find the source of the leak and fix it while the tanks are out (it'll be easier). My car leaked around both windows and also under the 'cill' - the black metal finisher under the glass that is bolted in underneath. Fix the leaks to avoid a repeat of your efforts. Finding leaks use a jet of water at all angles (outside) and dust with a paint brush & talc (inside) to see where the damp spots are.

Have fun!

See post 37. I have used this a few times. Cut and glue it back to back for the thickness. I've removed tanks a few years after I had fitted this and am pleased with how well it works due the the open ventilation. When fitting the bottom mats just hold it on with duct tape.

DanR