free hit
counters
Engine not starting after adding water to chargecooler - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Engine not starting after adding water to chargecooler

1994 S4. Coolant light was on. I had it backed up on ramps as I was troubleshooting a water leak.

I ended up replacing the hose from the top of the chargecooler to the bottom of the chargecooler water reservoir which was clearly leaking.

I filled the reservoir (still on the ramps) and started the engine. As it sucked the water, I kept filling the reservoir.

For about 4 seconds, it idled rough and died. Will not start. Fuses good, starter turns over, temps were good (I drove it every day this week with no problems other than that coolant light). Inertia switch is in. Even with full reservoirs (main and chargecooler), the coolant light stayed on until it died. Temperatures were cool as I had only backed it out of the garage and onto ramps.

Freescan isn't giving me any codes, but the engine isn't running.

Any ideas?

Edited by Crescent Fresh

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After it died, coolant immediately started overflowing out of the reservoir.

Is there a link on "how to" remove said box without unnecessary removal of other objects?

Is there a link with a "how to" remove this the easy way? Is it a major ordeal if this is the case?

Also, upon dying, water rapidly filled the chargecooler reservoir and overflowed. You might be on to something.

• 2 weeks later...

take out spark plugs and look for signs of coolant or wetness.

Test your compression, remove all spark plugs and crank engine with full throttle.

I'm wondering if you don't have a head gasket leak that forced out all the coolant by pressurizing the system. happend to me on the track recently.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Read post #5 Travis. Sorted. :hrhr:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Oops. True. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.