free hit
counters
S1/S2 Fuel Sending Units - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S1/S2 Fuel Sending Units

Anyone know if S1 and S2 fuel sending units are the same? I need one, but only see S2 units available. Thanks.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, John. But where did you find the reference to "Series 2 from chassis number 486G"? I wasn't able to find that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a message from Tony K that they send different voltages due to different gauges, but can modify an S2 unit to read correctly on an S1 gauge.

Anyone know where I can find an S1 fuel sending unit? Not having any luck through the usual channels. Thanks.

Theres a post july 78 one on ebay uk currently....

Phil

Thanks Phil. Do you have a direct link? I can't seem to pull up that listing. Thanks.

I gave up looking for an S1 sender so used one of these in my S1 instead. Im still in the rebuild process so cant say how accurate it is but that should be easily remedied with a bit of trial and error and a potentiometer wired in.

Phil

Think I have a spare but would be reluctant to let it go until I have tested both of mine in case I keep a dud, I should know soon as body be progressed so should have it fitted and start the wiring in a couple of months. PM me then if you are still not sorted.

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Thanks Dave. Will do. And good look with the project!

I gave up looking for an S1 sender so used one of these in my S1 instead.

Phil, it mounts the same? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, while we are on the subject. My fuel light comes on when the tank registers 1/4 full and tends to flash a bit then stay on, Its a bit annoying. The fuel gauge tends to drop pretty quickly from full so don't know if it is reading correctly anyway. Is the light supposed to come on at 1/4 full? Could this be a sender problem, gauge problem? Any suggestios appreciated. Cheers PAUL

My dealer really came through for me and sourced one yesterday. Psyched! Renn has a great photo of one on his restoration blog at http://www.lotusespritrestoration.com/2011/03/refurbishing-s1-lotus-esprit-fuel-tanks.html

Not sure about when the light should be coming on, but in my '83 Turbo it also came on at 1/4 tank and the level would then fall off precipitously.

My dealer really came through for me and sourced one yesterday. Psyched! Renn has a great photo of one on his restoration blog at http://www.lotusespr...fuel-tanks.html

Not sure about when the light should be coming on, but in my '83 Turbo it also came on at 1/4 tank and the level would then fall off precipitously.

Have you got the part number? is it Lotus or a parts bin part?

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I'll ask. I know MikeH, who's doing the bulk of the restoration on my car, is also restoring three other S1s and he pulled the sending unit from one and it had absolutely no markings or numbers on it at all. But I'll ask my dealer.