free hit
counters
The missing Essex Esprits... - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The missing Essex Esprits...

Bibs

I have it down as being the Homologation Car for Japan. 

MODS - should we merge this thread with the Essex images one as there are so many great photos being added?

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
38 minutes ago, nello said:

Was that at Barry Ely's Steve? 

I know from experience with 017 that they did not all have the exact same spec. As has been discussed before it tended to be whatever was on the track on the day was fitted to the car. The Essex cam-covers are a classic example of that.

Correct Barry Ely’s back garden, been there for years, remember the headlight pods were full of water with the drainage pipes blocked paint above the waste line just rubbed off, was basically knackered. That sums it up nicely according to my wife who was with me at the time. 

I remember you telling me and Paul Dewey about it there Steve. 

Not sure if I've ever added this one but this photo was taken by Graham Arnold at Hethel about 25 years ago for the Club Lotus magazine. That's me with my great friend Paul Dewey and 017.

A great friend sadly missed........................ 

Incidentally 017 very nearly went back to its original buyer from 1980 who now lives in Australia and I was in contact with but the import taxes proved just too costly.

Note Paul ever the Lotus / F1 aficionado with his Lotus F1 Tommy Hilfiger Polo!

image.png.cd9e36b794ae7c6d7dab34a05d5997a8.png

Edited by nello
  • Like 2

@Veilside Steve another note, we heard from Momo El Khnati via Facebook from Belgium, he has confirmed he has 0335.

He posted a document showing the car has been black since at least 1993. Originally in Switzerland, then Germany in 1998, Belgium since 2010.

He says the original colour was copper fire and you can see traces in the wheel arches.

There is no record of this car being in the USA or a Jim Loose car. Can we say 0336, 0337, 0338 were the Jim Loose cars?

Perhaps on an earlier thread there was mention of 0335 being a US car.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lex Templar said:

@nello Do yo you think there was anything in the Youtube comment about #14 being in the Philippines? (LHD US 'Essex' video)

They may have got it mixed up with "JPS" #014 that's in the Philippines. 

13178975_992940014130485_5998369871777815216_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

@Veilside Steve another note, we heard from Momo El Khnati via Facebook from Belgium, he has confirmed he has 0335.

He posted a document showing the car has been black since at least 1993. Originally in Switzerland, then Germany in 1998, Belgium since 2010.

He says the original colour was copper fire and you can see traces in the wheel arches.

There is no record of this car being in the USA or a Jim Loose car. Can we say 0336, 0337, 0338 were the Jim Loose cars?

Perhaps on an earlier thread there was mention of 0335 being a US car.

Some of the original information changed while trying to piece it all together with conflicting information.

10335 LHD - Was never in the US - Copper with red leather not a good combination.

10336 LHD - Lotus records record this car being White - was thought to be in the US but never confirmed (see Brian Angus email extract),

sold by the Norfolk Motor Co. to Abdul Asizis, Copper ?/Beige still in the UK August 81 warranty claim. 

10337 LHD - US "Essex" white via Switzerland (Lotus Dealer) car still in US, current owner Tom O'Neelio (see photo Tom's Loti)

10307 LHD - US "Essex" Essex Blue direct to Jim Loose - shipped back to the UK - new owner in France (see photo's)

10338  LHD - Red Export not a Jim Loose car (see Michael DiNunzio extract),  

note - when Michael DiNunzio was referring to the black one should probably have been the white 10337 and the three cars were 10307, 10337 & 10338, his comment "two cars didn't have leather" is questionable.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 17.52.46.png

Tom's Loti 11-30-08 002.jpg

Chassis 10307 Engine no. 18522 Ex Jim Loose.jpg

Chassis 10307 Engine no. 18522.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 00.12.05.png

• Like 2

Just caught up with this thread and read about Barry Ely's Essex looking a bit sad in his back garden. Reminded me of our meeting at the 60th Anniversary in 2008, when we were parked up at Bib's invitation on what was then the Lotus Esprit Forum stand. Looked stunning.

IMG_4446.jpg

• Like 1

Gents - as mentioned I very nearly brokered the deal to sell 017 back to its original owner last year. By sheer chance I saw him comment on the Lotus Esprit Group on FB that he had an Essex new from Tim & Zoe Randles. I knew that was where 017 came from. We got in to a discussion and even though he had it new on a reg I'd not been aware of it turned out to be 017 and I recognised his name - He even sent me a copy of the original Bill of Sale from the dealership which he'd kept! Anyway he was very keen to buy the car back but there was the slight issue of him now residing in Australia. Once we'd delved deeper (and even virtually agreed a price) it was only then we realised the Australian import laws that affect even older cars and the duties required to be paid that stopped the sale. I was very keen to help the Dewey family and they were too to get the car back to its original buyer but in the end it just could not work and he found a car already in country to restore.  

• Like 1

On 18/04/2020 at 15:30, Bazza 907 said:

Yes and I think Mark's V8 won a prize 😀

I did, forgot about that @Bazza 907! Car of the Show, as judged by MJK and Martin Donnelly. I had no idea I was even in a competition. We were just about to leave when the announcement was made. It was also a big surprise given some of the very nice machinery there, especially the Essex Esprits. I think one of the stunning Lotus Carlton's was second and someones restored Elan, possibly, was third. The comment was IIRC "a very well turned out Esprit that is obviously used and enjoyed, rather than being a garage queen". Donnelly must have seen the rust.....

Won a Scare Yourself Sensible track day. Which I thoroughly enjoyed. And my wife didn't.......

• 2 weeks later...