free hit
counters
Boost gauge calibration - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rogerch

Boost gauge calibration

OK an 88 Turbo, the boost gauge is calibrated in Bar, but what do the marks represent ?

ie, is the verticle mark 0.5 or is .5 the 5th calibration ? because either way it's not coresponding to what I set the waste gate acctuator to 0.8

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That boost gauge is notoriously inaccurate.

Also, the actuator and the MAP aren't going to match exactly. The wastegate is going to begin to crack well before .8, plus you have to take barometric pressure into account. I don't know how the mechanical gauge handles that, but I imagine it's "calibrated" assuming sea level.

Am I crazy?

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Much to my surprise the gauge seems accurate, wastegate pops at .8 bar, which is where I set it. So my next mod will be to pull it back to .6 and then add a controller, to take it up 1 bar. For purposes other than shopping.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I'm in the same mode - about to add a wideband and boost controller as well.

The reason you are going to a softer wastegate spring? Is it to allow that to be the low-bar and you will still set the 'normal' mode of your controller to 0.8?

I have 89 SE - does anyone know how we allow the 15secs of over-boost? reading the service manual - it specs the max boost pressure for the wastegate at 0.65bar - tuning the movement of 0.38mm at 0.58bar. so how do we allow an spurt of overboost?

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....