free hit
counters
Clutch slave cylinder for an '86 Turbo HCi - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch slave cylinder for an '86 Turbo HCi

cookieguy

Overnight my clutch pedal has gone all soft (ooooeeeerrr!) and getting into gear is now notchy. The pedal needs to be pressed to the floor to engage the gears.

Seems like my master cylinder is the culprit as the reservoir is empty (was full a couple of weeks ago)

How much are the Lotus replacements, or is it possible to get a cheaper option from another manufacturer?

Is this an easy job to undertake or a garage jobby?

BTW, I'm in the US.

Cheers chaps.

Adam

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooops, my bad.

It's the master cylinder DOH!

Just toppped it up with fluid and I've got some resistance back in the clutch pedal and am getting the gears as normal. But there's obviously been something leaking around it as some of the paintwork underneath has been stripped.

Adam

So it seems both my master clutch cylinder and slave need replacing.

What alternatives to buying Lotus are there in the US?

How long can I rely on driving what I currently have? Is it something that will just 'pop' on the road at any time, or will I be ok driving around on the bad ones for a few days?

Cheers

Adam

You can check with JAE, I'm pretty sure they stock them.

I've dealt with them in the past and was very satisfied with the service.

Just go on their website and give Jay a ring, they don't have a catalog on line but it's just as good.

While you're there you might consider replacing your red pipe from front to back with a braided one, JAE stock these too and is highly recomended across the forum, after all the car is 25 years old. The last owner of my car replaced it with the original so I'll stick with it for while as it's fairly new but I'm changing my brake flex lines this winter just to be on the safe side.

Otherwise, if you search the parts section of the forum, I remember somebody posted a Wilwood replacement number.

Good luck

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Cheers Mesprit, I already have the red pipe replaced. Just wondered if there was a direct alternative part rather than speed dial JAE (I DO have them on speed dial) !! LOL

Adam

Adam,

Before you go to any more trouble and buy a new Master, please check behind the carpet under the pedal box. Thought either my slave was bad or the red pipe was leaking. Turned out the rear seal in the Master was going bad. If your Master is installed the same as on my '77, your about to find out all about the "real" Lotus position. Removing the steering wheel, perhaps the drivers seat, et al. Not the easiest job. Hope ACBC had his earplugs in while I was doing mine! Regardless, rebuild yours. Don't buy a new one.

Look forward to meeting you at this years LOG in Orlando.

Lyn

• 1 year later...

New seals in an old cylinder...often not a good idea, unless the cylinder is honed at the same time. Brake fluid is (generally) hygroscopic and water tends to collect in the bottom of the cylinder and corrode it...so replacing the seals wil not necessarily get the proper sealing back. New units are a better idea if you are keeping the car!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I had my slave re-sleeved in brass for $60 including the retainer snap ring step (not everyone will do that) for $60 by Sierra Specialty Automotive in California. They are at this web address
http://www.brakecylinder.com/index.htm

They cleaned the cylinder and sleeved it and it was superb quality workmanship and it looked better than brand new. I don't think you can buy a new one for $60. The last new "Girling" I bought was made in India and was a POS.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just re-built my master cylinder (its aluminum not cast) and the internals were in amazing condition. Got the re-build kit from SJS in the UK for less than $10.

Didn't have to remove the seat or steering wheel as all you have to do is remove the clip that connects the slave rod to the pedal and pull the slave out from the boot (trunk) side.

I've rebuilt the slave as well and I'm not too sure that it will hold as well as the master as it is cast.

I haven't filled the system and tested yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.