free hit
counters
Top Gear - New Series - Page 42 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Top Gear - New Series

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I made it about halfway through and gave up. As @Andyww said, the new style of humour just doesn’t do it for me. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Nathan Pitman
  • Like 1

Watched this weeks again and did find parts quite funny. as said it seems unscripted which works well. I don't mind Paddy, seems grounded and fame hasn't gone to his head. I did like when he stops at the house to charge his car, the guy saying can we have an autograph, then shows him his daughter's caravan.

Guest piece they could do without, not bothered how fast they can go around the TG track. The Tesla article wasn't too bad, but again the programme seems to focus a lot on cars that the average person wouldn't buy, £40k+ cars. I think there is room for a few articles on cars that average Joe would buy, also would be nice to see them cover classic cars as well.

Will still keep watching.

• Gold FFM

The leaf was funny. Having owned one of these for years and racking up 114k in it - they were a bit inaccurate in reporting on it.

however - I loved the spitfire - and would buy that tomorrow if I could

Only here once

FIrst epo

On 16/06/2019 at 22:03, mayevora said:

T The BBC had to get the 1st one right,  and imo they have.

Well it looks like they went downhill fast. Episode 2 was just a waste of time. Seems like the're just refilming the outtakes form the Clarkson/Hammond/May era.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I've watched the first two, but won't be bothering again.

The Tesla 3 piece was actually quite interesting, and it would be good to have a more serious motoring show back. I was a big fan of the Clarkson, Hammond, May TG, and they keep trying and failing to replicate that.

:huh:

Untitled.png

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Andyww said:

Humour is a very subjective thing. I grew up with the type of humour which Clarkson, May and Hammond did, being of the same age, whereby you do very silly things but in a semi-serious way, with a kind of British "Stiff upper lip" undertone. It's quite an old-fashioned and probably obsolete form of humour.

To me thats far more amusing than just arseing about and laughing at yourself all the time, which is what this lot do. I agree this seems less scripted but its also, for me, far less amusing. 

I agree, also, what Clarkson et al did required intelligence and thinking and prep to make it look that good. You could say the same about Python etc. All that classic British Humour had a lot of intelligence behind it. Anyone can fall about laughing at themselves, but will have a look and see. Not watched Top Gear for many years, even when Clarkson et al were on it.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Maybe it's me. I love Freddie in a "League of their own" and especially their recent "Specials" where they travelled across America doing challenges and arsed about. Very much like this. I love his dead pan style and think there is a lot of chemistry there. Funnily enough I struggle with the real car pieces. Like it is said above, they are always on Chris Harris's personal favourites and way outside what anyone can afford. I have absolutely Zero interest in a Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo. It does still amaze me that they haven't tried an Evora since Launch model or the Exige, since it went V6. They used to have the 4 pot on all the time!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

As predicted episode 2 brought us back down to earth.

So they make 3 electric sports cars (Leaf and a pick-up??). They don't even lift the bonnets to show us what they've done. How can a 500bhp car be slower than a 100bhp one? The "race" around the Go-Kart track with the electric shock treatment was particularly pathetic. The recharging jokes are wearing a bit thin now. The Tesla 3 was interesting but why not show what's under the bonnet rather than how to make fart noises? It's more Benny Hill than Top Gear at the moment.

I agree with the above poster. They need to ditch the interviews and celebrity laps, especially if they're bringing back the same guests now. Leave their promotional interviews to the numerous chat shows on TV.

• Like 1

Yea they completely skipped on what they did to those electrified cars, arguably the most interesting part of all. WTF!? I was looking forward to the Model 3 review because I thought they might touch on the track mode which uses all sorts of clever shit to improve the dynamics of the car and make it behave like a much lighter vehicle. Nope. 😕

18 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

Yea they completely skipped on what they did to those electrified cars,

Yes major fake alert. Also how in the Subaru could they fit in a Tesla motor and leave the engine in?

If they had done the conversions as stated that would have cost serious money.

Speaking of fakes I have a friend who appeared with a car on one of the other car shows. I cant drop him in it by revealing as he signed an agreement but the whole scene and his involvement was totally staged and faked. Never trust anything on TV.

16 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I agree, also, what Clarkson et al did required intelligence and thinking and prep to make it look that good.

I always cringed at 95% of the Clarkson/May/Hammond banter delivery too, but the other factor here is that script writer Richard Porter went with them to the Grand Tour.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
50 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

I was looking forward to the Model 3 review because I thought they might touch on the track mode which uses all sorts of clever shit to improve the dynamics of the car and make it behave like a much lighter vehicle

Wouldn't that approach give you a similar experience to picking up the most beautiful girl in the nightclub and taking her back to your hotel room only to find out that she has hairier balls than you?

I mean, why cheat with all that "clever shit" when you can just buy a lightweight sportscar that goes vroom vroom, pop, giggle, bang!

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I find it all quite interesting. Not interesting enough to press the button on ordering one though. Have def given it some thought but ultimately come back to exactly that argument. 

That said I have been considering replacing my boring car with a 2nd hand i3. Because all I need is something to get the kids from A to B with minimal fuss and expense. 

• Gold FFM

But that is such a fugly and weird looking car. I mean, if it did not have a BMW badge on it no-one would actually buy it. Would they? Really?

I bought a Clio just to get me to the airport each week - a 110 mile round trip. It does 65mpg, has satnav and aircon. 5 doors and costs me nothing to run really. And it ain't fugly... Oh, and I bought it 2 years old so depreciation is minimal...

• Gold FFM

You need to drive an i3 @C8RKH - ugly they might be - but they are certainly fun.

thread highjack slightly - and nearly off topic - an Ev conference was on in oxford today - here’s a new Ev from china

5566FD20-C43B-403A-907F-AD007D61AD23.thumb.jpeg.b43955e556b96ddcd9811dc620f7dd84.jpeg

Only here once

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

You need to drive an i3 @C8RKH - ugly they might be - but they are certainly fun

Not happening - and at £35k new really....  Would have a Renault Zoe instead

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

They've also decided Remain is the future too hence I no longer give a fook about what they think. Anyway, the Hydrogen revolution is coming and EV's will be like Betamax tapes, in the bin....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The i3 is ugly as it has to fit in with normal BMW practice. Every car they have ever made has been ugly and the same for all other German cars with the possible exception of the i8 which was designed in Asia.

The Japanese are going full tilt down the hydrogen route, and producing it using green energy. By next year it will be possible to fill up a hydrogen car anywhere in the Greater Tokyo area and they are working on the whole of Japan. The Japanese take the long-term view and are prepared to spend huge amounts to get their infrastucture right.

Over the past few years I have spent a fair amount of time in Japan and they make our country look like ist run by a bunch of amateurs. Which it is.

• Love 1

Electric is only promoted by those who know nothing (Jon Snow).......sorry Can't say that without adding Jon Snow at the end.

The Motor industry knows Electric is a hold me over only and not a long term solution. It is, infact less viable than Fossil Fuels as it's raw materials are even rarer than Fossil Fuels. The makers and "Greenies"  keep quoting that there is plenty of Lithium with only 1% of reserves due to be used in the next 10 years.....however, the makers are using figures based on current requirements. Should all Fossil Fuel Cars be removed from the roads then requirements will increase by a huge amount, at which time non biased reports show less than 20 years of reserves. 

Hydrogen Fuel Cells are definately the way to go.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Poor Jon Snow...he's always got to tell truth.  The only visible happiness we saw in the last season was him seeing Ghost.  Ghost looked as banged up as Snow did.

Agree with Kimbers, Hydrogen Fuel Cell power is the wave.  Batteries (large heavy ones) will end up in landfills.  Engineers are probably working on "proper" battery disposal, but Hydrogen's exhaust is water.  Hydrogen is also the most abundant element in the universe, so availability isn't a concern.  Unfortunately, we are most likely the last generation to enjoy fossil fueled cars.  It's hard to imagine what Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche will do when everything goes electric/hydrogen or some other option.  What will the value of a Chiron, La Ferrari, P1, Aventador, Ford GT (all versions), Boss 429, Type 130* etc. be when they can no longer be driven?  Granted most of these cars are treated like museum pieces that will never see actual daylight regardless.  

*Type 130 - Please be the new Esprit "the Electric Hybrid Ferrari Killer".

I mentioned the Boss 9 and forgot the Shelby GT500.  Sorry, not a fan of the other American muscle cars.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.