free hit
counters
Top Gear - New Series - Page 44 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mayevora

Top Gear - New Series

Can we get back on topic, I have to to say last nights episode was entertaining 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Connecting the two topics...

And I actually laughed out loud a couple of times at the episode last night. But skipped over all the celebrity rubbish. 

On 01/07/2019 at 14:10, Kimbers said:

Should all Fossil Fuel Cars be removed from the roads then requirements will increase by a huge amount, at which time non biased reports show less than 20 years of reserves. 

Hydrogen Fuel Cells are definately the way to go.

I remember the 70s when we had only 20 years or so of oil reserves but the truth was that the oil companies stopped looking when they had found enough reserves to cover them for a while.  Maybe it's the same with lithium.  (Isn't it also used for treating bipolar disorder?)  However, like you, I think hydorgen power is the way to go.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I thought this weeks TG was a touch too 'lad culture' - there were a few moments where I thought their behavior was just too immature, especially from Freddie.

Harris is evermore turning in to a caricature of himself - but so far I can put up with it 😀

Could do with a bit more considered opinion around cars from the other two, but I guess that's not what the shows about now; or at least their contribution to it.

I agree regarding Flintoff. He’s like that awkward school kid we all knew, who tries too hard to impress his mates but gets overexcited and takes it all too far, so ends up looking like a twat. Take the sudden desire to unload Harris’ car, the smacking of the melon on Harris’ head, goading Tindall to smack the Jag, rolling the hearse, etc. Too immature.

• Like 2

On 01/07/2019 at 21:02, scotty435 said:

Can we get back on topic

I think discussing what they broadcast in TG is pretty much on topic isn't it? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Found tonights episode painful to watch.

Find an extremely rare and cool car, a Matra Bagheera and deliberately vandalise it.

Idiotic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Verging on a replay of the Patagonia special with the Esprit...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Not proving to be a good series this one, I've actually turned this one off!

Enjoyed Churchill though 🤣, always nice to put a face to a voice!

Highlight for me:

McGuiness to Arjun the Gurkha: “So, have you met Joanna Lumley?”

Reminded me of his mentor Peter Kay as Brian in Phoenix Nights when he gets stuck on the stair-lift and ponders “What would Thora Hird do?”

The most positive thing I can say of episode 4 is that Chris Harris was not in the adventure bit.

Not really sure why Chris Harris seems to be generally so disliked. Seems OK to me, especially since he no longer seems to bang on about Porsche.

The Lotus 79 section last night was superb.

13 hours ago, Andyww said:

Not really sure why Chris Harris seems to be generally so disliked. Seems OK to me, especially since he no longer seems to bang on about Porsche.

+1 on CH.  We got his autograph last year at Spa for the Blancpain 24hr race where he was driving a McLaren 650.  He seemed like a half decent bloke to be honest.  He got on the podium in class from memory as well.

I find myself generally agreeing with most of his reviewing content and on the show at the moment, he's certainly the only one with any proper road testing credibility.

He's taken a bit of stick on the show as well.  Mainly scripted I guess, but for me, some of it has made for slightly uncomfortable viewing on occasions.  There's always a fine line between banter and someone being picked on.........I started to feel it was becoming the later.

• Like 1

The beeb had over 50 complaints saying the same thing! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

14 hours ago, Andyww said:

I would agree with you re the L79 piece. I just watched that bit and Harris was like a school boy who'd been given the keys to the sweetie shop for the weekend. He spoke with respect, passion, joy, enthusiasm and knowledge. And his admitting to the drifting was actually quite cool as secretly I am sure we woukd all like to do that.

Maybe he realises that now that Lotus has a serious backer in, and is part of Geely, he needs to now take them seriously again. The future is in the east. Just look how many past it footballers are heading there for fantastic salaries. It's the US from 15 years ago.  Maybe he wants in on that cash too...

Either way, my view, his best bit of proper car journo stuff for some time.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

On 03/07/2019 at 15:39, Bibs said:

The beeb had over 50 complaints saying the same thing! 

I actually put a post on after the first show saying I wonder how long it would take for the snowflake generation to complain, but then by episode 3 started to feel a bit uneasy myself

I'm not a light weight in that area........I did an engineering apprenticeship starting in 1981 and basically along will the other starters, got slaughtered for the first couple of years.  I saw things being done to people that you'd actually go to prison for now, let along get the sack.

I had a mate in the print industry and they got it worse.  On completion, they all got stripped naked and amongst other things, printing ink was applied liberally to their gentleman's veg 😱

I think generally things have gone too far the other way, but I now prefer the teasing and gentle ribbing rather than physical stuff that Flintoff in particular has been dishing out in some of the episodes.

Edited by Simon Bateman