free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit 1989 PAINT CODE P02 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Esprit 1989 PAINT CODE P02

Hi guys, does anyone know if the P02 late 80s pearl white is still available? the pack was basically just monaco white plus a pearl layer, so i presume monaco white would still be around but is the pearl coat still available? Or how can i find out???

I always thought the codes were like keys to formulation, IE they can be remade at any time....?

cheers

B

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The paint code should just be a formula of a mix of tinters, therefore a bodyshop would be able to mix it up, not sure if somewhere for the general public like halfords would be able to formulate it or not though it depends how comprehesive their range is. Pearlcoats can be difficult to apply to get a good match, but probably not an issue if a whole car was being done.

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Kronos1664

I went to a paint shop in WA before I moved to Victoria adn the computer they had referenced the Lotus code and name for Calypso Red.

Shouldn't be a major drama.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

and also DuPont Refinish, Standox and Spies and Heckler! I just had a look as well....ok it looks like its available....with the dupont onen though the formulations look different depending on which option you choose, 600,6000 or cromax....very odd. the grams per liter of white/gold pearl varies...look upn the P02 on the dupont website

• 4 weeks later...

Your car is I.C.I paint with a three part paint system Monaco white Pearl and Lacquer. From 1992 Lotus used a Dupont system

Paint Code B51 Dupont code ref = ABN9150 and Microfiche No F7505 with a two pack system using the primer as value shade.

Dupont value shade primer 1 and pearl white base and clear coat. I.C.I Pearl is not available today. You can fade through with Dupont but I.C.I. is darker. You can change the colour with the way you spray. It can also blow-in with the right operator.

For perfection a respray in Dupont Pear is needed.

Dug.

Hi,

Once again your car was painted from the factory in I.C.I. 2K Solid Met with I.C.I. Lacquer on top.

Not available today, The colour was still used after I.C.I but in base coat and clear and the colour looked

lighter than I.C.I. Dupont Valcan grey Met is B59, Dupont Ref No N9145, Dupont Microfiche No F7509,

Value shade primer is 6. You can fade thru on the I.C.I with the Dupont paint.

Cheers,

Dug.

what is dupont Pear? or did you mean pearl? ie to do a paint spray correctly today i need to use the P02 as reformulated by Dupont in 91-92. im only having the bonnet and front bumper redone, hope it looks ok. the original paint is very slightly yellowing too as it ages, making it a slightly champagne pearl white!

will be hard to match

Sorry mate, Pearl,

The yellowing is the lacquer not the colour,the only way the front of your car will look

right is to blend out the front end and may be half the doors.

Dug.

Hi,

The best way to paint the front of your car would be,strip off any parts that don't need paint.Degrease and mask off front end and doors, mask edges with 3M foam tape.Flat front end and doors with 1200 wet and dry to remove all shine. Repair any stone chips or damage and prime with white primer keeping as small as you can.Paint the primer areas first, this could take up to six coats to cover, then paint the bonnet and bumper and dust the colour on the sides of the clam and half way thru the doors making sure no paint go's on the back end of the doors, this area you need to keep the original colour.Dry paint and tak to remove any dry overspray.Spray two coats of lacquer on the front end and doors, this will give you colour match on the front and colour match on the rear end. Use Dupont solvent paint.

Cheers,

Doug.

I would,

Paint the bonnet and bumper first and check the colour match with the rest of the car.

If no good, I would lay them on to dust the front end to make the colour all the same then take

them off to lacquer.

Dug.