free hit
counters
Can't get intake manifold off - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Can't get intake manifold off

Pulling apart my motor to powdercoat the valve covers, plenum, chargecooler, and intake - everything off above the intake including the 5 nuts and 4 bolts and it won't budge! Even tried a small crow bar but don't want to crack the manifold. Any suggestions for helping to get it loose? The only part I haven't disconnected is the coolant line, but figured that at least I could jiggle the intake at this point!!! :)

Suggestions from people that have been there?

May I also curse the engineer that decided to use the tiny allen screw to hold the secondary injectors in (which promptly stripped due to the soft metal, and is too low profile to grab with vice grips). Can't powdercoat that part till I get those injectors off!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulling apart my motor to powdercoat the valve covers, plenum, chargecooler, and intake - everything off above the intake including the 5 nuts and 4 bolts and it won't budge! Even tried a small crow bar but don't want to crack the manifold. Any suggestions for helping to get it loose? The only part I haven't disconnected is the coolant line, but figured that at least I could jiggle the intake at this point!!! :)

Suggestions from people that have been there?

May I also curse the engineer that decided to use the tiny allen screw to hold the secondary injectors in (which promptly stripped due to the soft metal, and is too low profile to grab with vice grips). Can't powdercoat that part till I get those injectors off!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pull the coolant hose for sure. You want to get most of the coolant out of the system when removing the intake to insure that no coolant gets into the combustion chambers. once everything is disconnected, grab the intake just above the coils and wiggle up and down till it becomes loose. There is a sensor plug underneath the intake that needs to be unplugged before it will all come out though. I feel your pain about the secondary injectors... thank god for the snap-on truck! The right tools make life soooo much easier.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Pull the coolant hose for sure.  You want to get most of the coolant out of the system when removing the intake to insure that no coolant gets into the combustion chambers.  once everything is disconnected, grab the intake just above the coils and wiggle up and down till it becomes loose.  There is a sensor plug underneath the intake that needs to be unplugged before it will all come out though.  I feel your pain about the secondary injectors... thank god for the snap-on truck!  The right tools make life soooo much easier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the trusty dremel with a cut-off wheel allowed me to cut a straight slot in that allen screw. Put a large bladed screwdriver in there and it broke loose. Seeing afterwards how deep that screw went definitely made me grateful it came out. That would have been a nightmare had it broken off.

Now if I can get that intake to break loose!

One thing that was a little alarming was that the plenum (portion with 'TURBO' on it) did not have a gasket....just silicone. Is that factory? Or was someone just too lazy to go and buy a gasket for it? I am startingto wonder if this was the source of my IAC counts not being adjustable below 75. (ie vacuum leak)

Well the trusty dremel with a cut-off wheel allowed me to cut a straight slot in that allen screw. Put a large bladed screwdriver in there and it broke loose. Seeing afterwards how deep that screw went definitely made me grateful it came out. That would have been a nightmare had it broken off.

Now if I can get that intake to break loose!

One thing that was a little alarming was that the plenum (portion with 'TURBO' on it) did not have a gasket....just silicone. Is that factory? Or was someone just too lazy to go and buy a gasket for it? I am startingto wonder if this was the source of my IAC counts not being adjustable below 75. (ie vacuum leak)

The plenum portion with the turbo on it is up stream of the butterflies, and therefore not able to be a manifold leak. Only the area behind the butterflies will cause a problem.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I was a little confused. Did not realise that the throttle bodies were staying in place. I just removed the plenum/intake assembly all at once.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Sorry, I was a little confused.  Did not realise that the throttle bodies were staying in place.  I just removed the plenum/intake assembly all at once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since I am having trouble getting the intake off, I plan on reinstalling the plenum to get me extra leverage to get it off the studs.....you're not confused. I just removed it prematurely as I was going to powdercoat it before pulling the intake.

The plenum portion with the turbo on it is up stream of the butterflies, and therefore not able to be a manifold leak.  Only the area behind the butterflies will cause a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then, dammit, possible boost leak? :( Hopefully I can figure out the IAC count once it is all back together.

Success! Got the intake off after much expletives, numerous yelling / grunting while shaking the manifold from the plenum end.

The studs nearest the turbo were the main culprits-totally gooped up with coked up oil residue. The intake manifold gasket also provided a lot of the initial resistance as it was bonded to both surfaces and was actually ripping as the manifold was pulled.

I will post before and after pics of the powdercoating.

Just trying to decide between two colors for the intake. I have a chrome powdercoat (looks like a low luster polished surface), and black chrome....what do you guys think would look best against the gloss red I powdercoated the chargecooler and other orange pieces?