free hit
counters
speedo makes a ticking/rattling noise... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

speedo makes a ticking/rattling noise...

my speedo makes a ticking rattling roise which increases which speeed to a sort of ticking-roar above 120km/h. i see bit and pieces about this on the forums but its messy. lay it out for me about this magnet business: does a layman (me, a chemist) have the capability to fix it without doing damage. and how!!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjamin,

Simon has posted some pics here and a bit of a description as to how he fixed the one from his S4. Not sure if the 88 is the same, but won't be much different. I'm sure if you PM'd Simon, he would answer any questions you might have.

Michael.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/20055-removing-repairing-s4-speedo/page__view__findpost__p__202571

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

There's a place in Pymble that I used to use for gauges. No I wouldn't do it myself, getting the dash out is challenge enough.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

exactly what mine did - ticking, got worse, then started sticking.... until I fixed it.

It really is not hard to fix your self - I an assuming that the 88 is similar to my 89. four bolt to get the binnacle out (disconnecting a few connectors and the speedo) and two nuts to get the speedo out. the speedo just comes apart with a small screw driver.

you can see that my magnet backed off the spline and was rubbing on the floating cup...

Speedo.jpg

Edited by Quicker

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• 4 months later...

Cable.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

double check to make sure the magnet is not still loose. Mine would shift around and fix itself if I braked hard... Later is would slide around again and then I'd be driving 140mph through town.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album