free hit
counters
Lotus Production Figures - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wonder who bought the 1983 Excel in the US?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I know the owner of the Excel. He's in Salt Lake City Utah.

He bought it because it was right hand drive. All of his cars are RHD, even has an Elite (type 14), Xanthos 23, and an Elise 190 Sport among others.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• Gold FFM

Some cars can be imported under a "show and display" exemption. two of the Carlton/Omega's have been brought into the USA, that I am aware of. The Elise S1 and the 340R are specifically prohibited, because the Elise S2 is allowed now, and the Elise S1 and 340R were brought in a "off road use only" for race track use by Lotus USA.

Some people with disabilities may bring in RHD drive cars if they are unable to drive a car with the steering wheel on the left, and this is what my friend did. Also the US Postal service brings in RHD cars like Subaru Legacy's from Japan, so they can reach the mailboxes on the side of rural roads.

Here is my friend with the RHD cars

MetzOblad.jpg

some of his cars

Oblad7.jpg

ObladElite.jpg

Oblad18.jpg

I have another friend who just happened to have a RHD Seven (which I have driven)

Not exactly sure what the story is on that one, or why it is allowed...

P7241281.JPG

I have a good friend who does have a disability with his right arm not being formed very well.

He wanted an Ariel Atom or an Elise, and we talked about how he could import a RHD car due to his disability, but he ended up buying a federal Elise and I modified it so he could shift with his right arm.

IMG_2719.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album