free hit
counters
New 4 post ramps arriving soon - at last - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New 4 post ramps arriving soon - at last

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello Dave. if you have a ramp i suppose theres not much need for the flooring to be comfortable if you have a ramp as you wont be on the floor too much. so not sure why you would be oncerned about a trolley jack, would not a jack for the 4 poster be on teh cards.

oh email sent.

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Guest surferphil

I'd get rubber mats, definitely need something on concrete especially if you have work benches.

You can get cattle mats (cheap and strong) which will save your knees and keep the place warmer. Horse mats are softer, still strong and work shop flooring rubber grills are really good, but get things stuck in them and I wouldn't jack on them either just used in front of the work benches.

Can anyone who has the complete 4 ramp setup give an idea of costs including compressors and additional kit needed (we can curency convert) and tell us if is it professionally installed ie to make sure the safety locks and safety features are working. would it fit in the middle of a standard uk double garage re the height.

This would really inform this thread.

Interestingly enough prior to Dave starting this thread I had purchased my self an additional lift to offset the limitations I have found on the mid rise scissors lift. During the course of my visiting the equipment distributor they tried to talk me into a portable 4 post lift. Only problem I had was that the portability required several people to make it portable. Whereas the one I got can be moved by just myself. Portability is important for me due to the fact that because of ceiling height I can not raise my trucks in the garage. So the lift must roll outside to the concrete and asphalt tarmac.

However I must say I do like the design of a four post lift. The safety factor is one of the greatest. I did find with a bit of humour the governmental findings on the lift issues. I wonder what the true statistics are ? How many vehicles have dropped off in relationship to how many have been safely lifted. From what I have seen here in the US the two post lifts and single post column lifts seem to be more popular as they are space saving. The only four post lift I have seen in some time has been the one associated with the Hunter Alignment System. However you see more private four post lifts in part to the dollar value.

Well Done Dave ! Will be nice to see the finished product in your garage with the storage units and all. For flooring have you a similar product such as this Garage Floor Mat available in the UK ? I figured you must. Great against oils and still allow a trolley jack and equipment casters to roll across.

As far as cost are concerned the following applies

4 post lift second hand, base price was £795, plus an axle beam at £345, repainting, refurbing, delivery and fitting brings total to £2,200

Compressor, best price is about £250 for a sensible size, 50 litres

Air tools about £100

Cabinets, will be about £300

Flooring, maybe about £200 my garage is 6 metres 6 metres

Dave

Can anyone who has the complete 4 ramp setup give an idea of costs including compressors and additional kit needed (we can curency convert) and tell us if is it professionally installed ie to make sure the safety locks and safety features are working. would it fit in the middle of a standard uk double garage re the height.

This would really inform this thread.

Alex, I got my lift from Intern BV (Holland) as part of a group buy on Pistonheads in 2008 for £1550 inclusive of taxes and delivery (about a dozen of us). It included the main lift, the dolly/castors to make it mobile, three plastic drip trays and a heavy duty cross tray which can be used for jacking etc. The only extra I needed was 10litres of hydraulic oil (about £40). It probably would be useful to have a cross jack, but I manage with a bottle jock and axel stands in the cross tray. Not sure what other kit you think would be needed?

It comes “flat packed for easy home assembly”. Its big, weighs nearly a ton and is far from easy to handle let alone put together. Having said that, in the end I did manage mostly on my own with a trolley jack and a couple of furniture dollys. Would have been much easier with 2 or 3 very strong mates though! I’m not sure everything is still included and it looks like the price has gone up, but all the measurements etc are available on their website…

http://www.garage-apparatuur.com/#/server/showproduct11

Interestingly enough prior to Dave starting this thread I had purchased my self an additional lift to offset the limitations I have found on the mid rise scissors lift. During the course of my visiting the equipment distributor they tried to talk me into a portable 4 post lift. Only problem I had was that the portability required several people to make it portable. Whereas the one I got can be moved by just myself. Portability is important for me due to the fact that because of ceiling height I can not raise my trucks in the garage. So the lift must roll outside to the concrete and asphalt tarmac.

However I must say I do like the design of a four post lift. The safety factor is one of the greatest.

Probably not practical for you Christopher unless they export to the US, but the Intern BV lift is mobile. Its a bit awkwardly big to push around, but as long as the floor is reasonably flat then its fine to move on your own. Just put the dollies on each post bracket, lower the lift and it raises itself onto the castors. Then just push and pull it to where you want it! I used mine as a mobile scaffold to put the ceiling up in the barn - did it on my own…

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Some delay in fitting the ramps but they are now in place. As requested here are some pictures.

The ramps just about allow a sensible working height, possibly sitting on a castored chair, wheels are at eye level and it will make working on the car much easier. The lift is very quick to raise, and when loaded drops quickly. Time for some fun. More pictures as I install the compressor and other bits.

I have issues in uploading photos even with Megans help, I have browsed and tried to attach image and the attach button does not seem to work, once I sort i will post the pictures.

Dave

Hi Dave & Megan

Thanks for the last time. So, now you got new tools 4 post lift sound really nice :robo: .

And I'm looking forward to see the pictures :turned:

Have a nice weekend !

Yasuo

Nice one Davey boy. Dont throw my engine stand away ;)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

looking good :B)

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Well I finally took the plunge on the garage interior. I have opted for a plastic tiled floor and in grey and titanium, just started to lay this yesterday, it is looking great. Easy to lay it looks very durable. The cabinets arrive next week, couple of tall units with shelves and 3 metres of draws and overhead lockers. I have started to repaint the internal walls, white again to provide plenty of reflected light.

I have fitted a television, as you do, and are undecided on extra lighting, the garage is 6m x 6m and I have 4 double 6ft fluorescent lamps, it gives reasonable light but I wonder what alternatives there might be.

The compressor is now in place as is the retractable airline connection, it works a treat, so good to have air on tape 24/7

I will post pictures as the refurbishment progresses, likely to be over the next week or so.

Dave

I was going to seriously look at a vehicle hoist when I built the big shed in WA, but then we moved and I don't have the room in the garage now.

I'm going to have to come up with a different idea. I like Reymondos double scissor as that can live under your car all the time. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Don't forget the beer fridge...! TV is too distracting, I stick with the sound system. Do envy the lift owning classes, though...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Dave,

Swap the flourescent tubes for daylight versions, makes a huge difference.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Chris, good idea, will be posting pictures of new garage, hopefully later today. Are you coming to the meet tonight, not seen you for a while, hope all is well.

Look forward to seeing you if you are able to make it.

My cabinets have arrived, major work to get everything out of the way, will post progress.

Dave

I may well pop along as the better half is out, I will be in the Mighty Italian (Fiat Stilo)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 1 month later...