free hit
counters
New 4 post ramps arriving soon - at last - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New 4 post ramps arriving soon - at last

I have always wanted a proper set of 4 post car ramps, I have finally taken the plunge. I have bought a second hand ramp set, 4 post hydraulic lift complete with axle lift. Cannot wait to play, it should fit in the garage ok, well fingers crossed.

This will give me excellent access to the whole car, I did consider a two post lift but I do not like the idea of an unbalanced car. Whilst the ramps are being fitted I am revamping the whole garage, a new compressor with proper air line fixings, this will enable me to machine polish the car again, it's only been done once since it was sprayed. I am also putting in down one side of the garage full height cabinets to store all he crap I seem to have collected.

I will put up photos of the install and garage rebuild for those interested.

By the way, I have advertised my old compressor and Levo-Artis car ramps on this site for anyone who is interested,

The ramps will be fitted at the end of the month, I will post progress going forward.

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very tempted to buy the set that are advertided on e-bay they are the brand new ones, two post with arms last time I called they wanted £2000 all in, thats for delivery and installation. Trouble is I have a friend with a really nice set of ramps and because people took advantage by leaving cars up on the ramps for weeks at a time he has even stopped best mates like me from using them. This may be something you may need to keep an eye on.

This will give me excellent access to the whole car, I did consider a two post lift but I do not like the idea of an unbalanced car.

I'm fairly sure all the garages that use these commercially should be able to negate this worry?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Dave wears a similar outfit when working on the car ;)

How high is your garage Dave, just wondered about clearence.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I only wear the little black number with thigh high PVC boots and only at the weekend. Got good legs though, me that is.

Bibs, my point was worthy of note, garages are clear of the balance issues and as they use them every day they are used to them. I however will not use them too often therefore the danger is greater.

Chris, the garage is not that high but the car is low, it's all about getting to the wheels, and I am happy to work on the car at around a metre, will only know once they are in place, all good fun.

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

A 4 post lift is a dream of mine, mind you so is a garage....

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If you use a 2 post lift and use the 4 jacking points on the car you will have no issues with balance. I've used mine for years and never had a problem. It's a 10,000lb lift and barely knows the Esprit is on it.

For me, I like the 2 post much better than the 4 post but you do need more height in the garage for it. Having said that, any lift is way better than no lift.... :)

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

And, oneother massive advantage if you have got some garage height is that you get an extra parking space!

IMG_2906.jpg

Fantastically useful to work on the car of course. Currently have the M100 on the top deck with rear wheels off while the callipers are at HiTech being refurbed. So much nicer doing the work at comfortable waist height than down on the floor.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Don't you use the same jacking points on a 2 post lift as you do on a 4?

Extra space is a bonus, lovely covers too! :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Looks like 2 post do have balance issues: http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/sectors/manuf/03-10-02.htm

Amateurs built the Ark

Looks like it's down to making sure you use it correctly.

25710_7bunbpmznt_m.jpg

Evora NA

Guest surferphil

The new 2 posters don't have balance issues as the arms are adjustable in length, it depends how far forward you park the car as to how well they are balanced and you need to make sure the concrete base is at least minimum required strength for the installation.

My mates garage has 3 lifts and the 2 posters make it easy to move cars about inside the work shop as they take up much less floor space.

They do look less sturdy but that's just because I'm used to my Grampy's old Ford dealership with 4 posters everywhere..

I'd be happy with either type lift or ramp!

Edited by surferphil

Ooopsy.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Don't you use the same jacking points on a 2 post lift as you do on a 4?

Extra space is a bonus, lovely covers too! :D

Two poster you use the jacking points, 4 poster you normally leave the wheels on and so lift via the tyres unless you put a jacking beam in play then you lift via a suitable pair (both front or both rear) points within the span of the beam. Those beams don't normally go so wide as to lift on the normal jacking points so you'd normally lift at the point where the suspension bushes are or similar.

I use the type of car ramps dealers tend to display cars on, carstages, and can use a jacking beam on that when necessary. That's when i cannot get into the garage and so use the pit.

My new compressor and air polisher arrived yesterday, the compressor is great, its double the size and should cope well with the air tools. What surprised me was price differences, I got a 50 ltr Sealey twin cylinder, on some sites it was a massive 30%more expensive than I paid. My aim for rebuilding the interior of the garage is to maximise the space and make sure there are no airline or other stuff to trip over. To that end I found a nice retractable air line which mounts on the wall, should make working on any car easier. I may even run pipe work around the garage to with various outlets.

I do not know about others but I have collected loads of spares and old tools belonging to my father, no good if you can never find them.

Looking for other ideas to improve the space I have.

Photos to follow.

cool. the best thing i have found is to have a good toolbox or two a bench to put them on and tidy up after everyjob. (i was pretty bad at this until recentley) i think i paid £71 inc vat for my 50ltr compressor with twin outlets just need to order a few more air tools.

if you need to increase the capacity i know people use empty propane tanks and link them up to the compressors tank as its a lot cheaper.

It's Oogies turn to boogie

That sounds a bit dangerous, I'll see how I go. I have kitchen units all down one side and a standard 8 draw tool box, cant get every thing in it though.

Need more space so one side of the garage will be hopefully floor to ceiling cupboards, std kitchen stuff is good.

May even carpet the floor for more comfort.

Dave

Andy there will not be any pubic hair carpet in my garage. Black and white check, possibly.

I will put up some photos of the garage as it and the new tools, the lift goes in on the 28th Feb, I will photo all the phases for reference.

The 4 posters are to be fitted on Tuesday, so Monday is a clean up day I need to get rid of a load of junk,

Stuff to go is:-

Aluminium car ramps with a long run up

Small compressor

Bench top mortiser(makes square holes in wood.

SE cylinder head

Full set of original SE brake calipers and vented front discs

Dash gauges and warning lights, all working.

Anyway, back to the new garage interior. Once the ramps are in place I need to address the flooring, it's currently painted in grey and not too comfortable, so what do you think about carpet, any ideas, I thought carpet tiles, this means if oil is spilt then thy can be replaced.

Work on clearing the garage starts Monday morning in readiness for Tuesday, getting excited!,