free hit
counters
Rocker Cover Gaskets - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Rocker Cover Gaskets

I am about to replace the rocker cover gaskets on my Excel as one of them is leaking. They are the curved 'saddle' type.

The workshop manual says to use the gaskets and put silastic on both sides. I have heard that they can be a bit painful to fit correctly and are prone to leaking. Does anyone have any handy hints for fitting the gaskets or is it just a matter of gasket + silastic?

Cheers

Daryl

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by Steve at SJ Sportscars to use superglue as well. He has written a few notes on his website:

Cam cover instructions The secret of a successful fitting is cleanliness. Remove the cover. Clean and de-grease everything. Shape the new gasket by hand; apply a bead of RTV732 Silicone sealer to the outside on the underside of the gasket. Note the three pegs on the top of the engine, which secure the gasket via the three holes. Using super-glue or some other instant adhesive, around the pegs, stick the gasket to the top of the engine. Apply a bead of RTV732 Silicone sealer to the outside on the underside of the cover. Fit and tighten the six bolts evenly.

I have always thought that construction silicone was not real suitable to oil. I would use a product like Gasket Goo in preference, but that's me.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I was told by a Lotus mechanic to glue the gasket into the cover first using RTV & let it set for a few hours with weights holding it in place. it's then an easy job to apply more RTV to the gasket face & fix it the cover to the cam carrier.

I've done it several times & it worked every time with no mess & no leaking. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I've yet to fit them, but I've bought some rubber gaskets. Apparently, fit them dry and use a little superglue to hold them in place.

Which ever type you use, cleanliness is the order of the day - remove all traces of previous gaskets/sealant, and don't over-tighten.

The rubber ones are sooo much easier to fit. I know Steve at SJ can't see the point, but they are re-fittable, and easy to adjust in place. I find that they need to be tightened down a couple of times as they bed in, but once bedded in they are fine.

Herc

Edited by Herc

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Im obviously doing something wrong here. I have replaced the Lotus paper gaskets with rubber ones as I had the usual slight leak from the exhaust side. The first time I tried I applied a bead of hylomar blue all the way round both sides of the gaskets tightened it down and watched the oil pour out from both when I fired the engine up. Second time I applied a thin smear on both sides of the gaskets and jointing faces then bolted it down to the correct torque and watched the oil fill up the spark plug recesses. Now just failed on the third attempt by fitting them dry with no sealant which is a bit fiddly without glueing them in and same result. I cant convince myself if the rubber gaskets are too long as when I bolt them down all they seem to want to do is squeeze themselves out from either end of the cam covers. Is there more than just one size and Ive got the wrong one or is it just me failing to seal them properly?

Phil

Rubber gaskets are supposed to be fitted dry.

You might use a little super-glue to hold them in place. Use v little torque, and tighten them a bit at a time if they leak.

Rubber gaskets are supposed to be fitted dry.

You might use a little super-glue to hold them in place. Use v little torque, and tighten them a bit at a time if they leak.

Im starting to think that maybe the cam covers are bent as the leaks are so bad that I get a continual stream of oil as soon as i start the engine.

When you released the nuts form the studs, did you do this in sequence?

i.e. diagonally outwards from the centre. failure to do this can warp the carriers.