free hit
counters
S3 Brake tell tale light - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cookieguy

S3 Brake tell tale light

I've an '86 HCi, the brake tell tale light has started to come on intermittently (not the PARK light)

It comes on when braking but also when the car slows down quickly without pressing the brakes (changing down a gear or coming off the gas abruptly). Accelerating makes the light go out and stay off whilst accelerating.

Fluid level in the servo hasn't dropped.

I removed the electrical connectors from the servo and still the light comes on.

Does this aged car have the capability of letting me know when my pads are worn??

What pads can I put on this car (I'm in the USA)?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers chaps.

Adam

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It is interesting that the light still does this with the servo disconnected. The fluid level switch would have been my first idea as well.

I would suggest cleaning and remaking the connections to all the brake lights. I would suggest you are getting an intermittent connection to a bulb. Have you had someone follow you to see if all lights come on when braking or have you done a static test sitting in your drive?

And Adam, the comment in your signature is definitely worthy of going in here. http://www.thelotusf...post__p__353097

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hmm, the actual lights...worth a look, I'll let you know tomorrow. But the tell tale will also come on when not pressing the brake pedal, but it is always when the cars forward movement alters, after letting off the gas quickly etc( does that make sense??)

Should've posted this above......the tell tale will not come on if I press the brakes whilst the vehicle is not moving. Surely this would rule out any bulbs?

I'll check tomorrow anyhow.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the car? I am fairly sure that the level sensor would not work via a relay, so I would check, clean and remake every electrical connection you can get to. Pay attention to earths. A bad earth on the esprit can cause all sorts of things.

Someone else with more experience of your model will come on here sometime soon and may be able to shed more light.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Thanks for the replies Ramjet. I removed all the brake light bulbs (which were working fine) and made sure they were a good tight fit.

Still the problem occurs! :(

The tell tale 'BRAKE' light comes on when the car's momentum slows down. eg, it'll come on when I brake, but goes out at the end of the braking sequence (when the car is not slowing down rapidly) it will come on whenever the momentum of the car slows such as gear changes down or coming off the gas rapidly.

So....the light coming on is not actually connected to the brakes being used/pushed.

Is it likely to be a loose connection in the binnacle at the actual tell tale bulb itself?

Would it be possible to simply unscrew the black plastic which covers the gauges to get to the bulb?

Easiest fix.....a square piece of black electrical tape over the offending gauge!! LOL

If I'm not mistaken, the switch below the booster is to monitor the vaccum. That would explain when the light comes on, low vaccum condition. Maybe the system works as advertised, the vaccum pump might not though...

Try jumping the connector for the next ride and see what happens with your light.

Luc

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Luc, being a total moron with all things electrical, what do I need to do to 'jump the connector'?

Sorry if this is basic stuff...but I'm a basic kind of guy! :help:

Disconnect the wiring connector going to the switch under the booster as Luc has described above, then unbend something like a paperclip and insert it into the connector to bridge the contacts on the car wiring side, not the switch side of the connector. If the light does not flash as you have been noticing, then it may be your vacuum pump.

Errrmmmm...where is the booster? What am I looking at/for?

Sorry!

Hi Adam,

I'll agree you can barely get to the switch.

If you open the front bonnet, on the driver side you have the brake system and clutch cylinder.

It's located under the brake master cylinder, if I have a chance, I'll post a picture tomorow morning.

It might not be the pump, you don't really change these often but I might put my money on a vaccum leak.

What about your pedal feel, do you feel you have to work a lot to stop the car?

Luc

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Hmmmmm, now you've mentioned vacuum, I have noticed a noise (barely audible) in the last week whilst driving.

Would a split pipe or disconnected pipe do this?

Thanks for all the help, I'm pretty much a dimwit mechanically (as The Veg will confirm!)

Adam

After driving the car this morning, there is definitely a whistling sound occuring as I come off the gas (and the tell tale comes on)

Anything I should be looking for?

Here is a picture of the location of the switch Adam:

DSCN0568.jpg

At least you can drive it at that time of year, I've spend my morning shoveling snow from my roof (30" high...).

As for the whisling, has there been any work done lately, I would start with this area.

Mesprit, my switch doesn't want to budge much, which way does it come out?

I performed the 'Lotus position' under the dash and couldn't see anything untoward.

Where is this mystical vacuum pump located?

I'm trying my best (and probably trying your patience) but any help is greatly received. :help:

Can't help you more than that with the switch as I never add to remove it (Yet!). I'm sure somebody did though, help anyone?

As for the pump, if you stand in the back looking forward, it's sitting in the front lower left of the engine. you won't really see it from the top. From underneat, the only belt going to the left from the crank leads to it.

Luc