free hit
counters
Cat bypass pipe - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All,

I am just about to pick up my new Evora later this week and I was talking to the dealer about a sports exhaust.

He suggested that I would be best saving the £800 odd and paying £250 to have a decat pipe fitted instead of the third cat as per the my12 cars. Said it only makes marginally less noise that retaining the 3rd cat and fitting a sports exhaust.

Any views on if it's worth it or not, I just want a bit more growl!

Cheers

Raf

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done that in the 400  20mph-70mph -20-70-20-70, only the fun police put on the "Incident 40mph" signs when I was half way through. I'm pretty sure that I was "the incident" as there was nothing else a

Mines in tomorrow :-) Will post feedback on sound, feel and price.

Just come back from Birmingham work trip. When it's cold there's not much difference in sound (I never blip above 2000 rpm until the temp gauge is half way) but when she's hot the noise is wonderfu

Assuming you have a manual N/A Evora (pre MY12), Lotus' decat pipe wouldn't be a straight swap as it has a different downpipe to the Auto & 'S'. So you might have to look at an aftermarket option such as Larini. However, it seems another owner has managed to get a custom exhaust set up done which includes removing the 3rd cat and paid under £300 using this company - www.tonybanks.co.uk. Might be worth a call.

You should get a deeper tone with the resonator pipe removed. Is it a substitute to a sports exhaust I couldnt say.

I have the Larini Race Pipe (resonator delete) and exhaust system and I think it sounds great. Sadly I didnt try it with just the exhaust or just the race pipe.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Thanks for replies all, it's a late 2010 N/A.

Steve at Christoper Neil sports cars said they have done a few 2010 na cars. I will call him again in the morning to get more details, I was hoping that someone on the forums may have had it done.

Cheers

Raf

Sounds interesting - may be an option we'd look at too!

As an 'S' owner I think fitting a decat pipe would be an easy choice to make as you know that it meets emissions for the MOT and still benefit from the actuator valve in sport mode. If the sound is still not as you like it it you can choose to change the silencer at a later date.

When I supercharged my Elise R, I kept the OEM silencer with decat... After 2/3000km, the silcener was completely burnt inside. When I removed it, it was full of burnt craps...

But was not an Evora, a case is not the other.

Elise R 07 - Europa SE 2008 - 2Eleven GT4 - Evora N/A - Evora S - Evora S SR - Evora GT430 Sport

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for replies all, it's a late 2010 N/A.

Steve at Christoper Neil sports cars said they have done a few 2010 na cars. I will call him again in the morning to get more details, I was hoping that someone on the forums may have had it done.

Cheers

Raf

I was at Chris Neil's last week and got chatting to one of the mechanics who mentioned they'd done this. I have to say, having had "the demonstration" of it, it really is fantastic - it sounded absolutely mental! :lol: I think he said it was something like £80 + an hour's fitting - bargain. Go for it, you won't be disappointed

Cheers for feedback ... My cars back up at CN at the moment having a few issues sorted. Top service as I am 200 miles from them trialered down loan car and tailored mine up.

Any way while it is up there spoke to Paul the service manager, seems a top bloke very helpful. I want a bit more warranty friendly noise spoke to him about options. Can only have a decat on an s. Only possible on an NA if you have a sports exhaust fitted due to the bypass pipe not fitting standard NA exhaust.

So I opted for a Larini sports back box and bypass pipe so it should come back driving better and sounding better.

Cheers

Raf

Raf I have this same setup, there will be no disappointment :)

Just need your Radium CAI next

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Seems like that is "the" catalytic converter. The one that actually cleans the exhaust!

I presume the other 2 cats are part of the exhaust manifolds?

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1917&MAK=1&MDL=20&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

I have seen another thread about changing out the exhaust manifolds to eliminate those "pre-cats", which actually harm gas mileage and are the major cause of engine bay heat. That might be the more productive route to go.

How does the 2012 do without the main cat?

The pre-cats are there for start-up emissions only, so eliminating them seems to be a no-brainer.

Out with the kids at the mo but when I get home will take a pic as the cat is attached to the old exhaust still.

Started it this am and my neighbors will love me when I leave at 6 am tmrw the garage echo effect makes it pretty loud

Compared to the Larini Club Sport I had on my Exige S, the Evora Larini is very very tame.

Suits the car perfectly thought, I am very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had the decat on an 2010 NA with the sports exhaust?

Just wondering whether it's possible in warranty, what the sound is like and what the cost was fitted..

I've just got back from playing in the new MY12 S IPS car at Bell & Colvill.. sounds fanbloodytastic!

Good stuff! Let us know how it goes!

Justin, I spoke to one of the Lotus engineers yesterday and he said that the convertible is 18months to 2 years away and 'not a priority'. After driving the MY12 S I made the point of saying 'if that car had the roof down we'd be talking numbers!'

I must admit I anticipate there being a lot more options in 18 months time.. although I'm still not sure any of them float my boat as much!

The MY12 is quite a big step forward in quality. It's still not a Porsche, but then I find Porsches quite soulless. The addition of extra leather and soft trim on the doors makes it feel more special, and the new seats are lovely. Not sure I like the red stitching in the black seats though.. but that's just personal preference.

MY12 S IPS

Build Quality: 7/10

Sound: 8/10

Auto box: 7/10

I'd still go for a manual as I missed having a clutch. It all felt too easy. Having said that, if you fancy an auto then I rate it quite highly. There is a slight lag in gear changes when you're using the paddles, probably about 0.5s. Which is enough to be noticed, but not enough to feel like you're not in control. It's no dual clutch system.

Bell & Colvill were doing some good discounts on the MY11 cars, but I had to say I would rather pay the extra for the MY12. We might see MY11 prices drop further, which won't be good news for us current owners!

@Justin

R u really considering a R8? It was on my shortlist too. I've only had my evora a short time but I'm always looking at other cars:-( I genuinely would struggle to replace it. Any other car I look at has astronomical running costs. My shortlist at the end was:

Xkr- the 500bhp + version

R8-

Evora

The only thing that let's the evora down is the noise. Here's hoping the cat bypass pipe helps:-)

Speaking about the decat pipe. I thought it was was just a resonator box and not a cat?

When the GTE comes out maybe we could buy it's headers too:-)