free hit
counters
Cat bypass pipe - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done that in the 400  20mph-70mph -20-70-20-70, only the fun police put on the "Incident 40mph" signs when I was half way through. I'm pretty sure that I was "the incident" as there was nothing else a

Mines in tomorrow :-) Will post feedback on sound, feel and price.

Just come back from Birmingham work trip. When it's cold there's not much difference in sound (I never blip above 2000 rpm until the temp gauge is half way) but when she's hot the noise is wonderfu

Borderline in what way? I have sports exhaust at the moment and love the sound and don't want something that upsets the neighbours every time I start up or gets boring and intrusive on my regular runs up & down to Aberdeen at 80 on the cruise control! :no (Apart from passing the 23 cameras on the route of course! :secret: ) However don't mind it a bit louder. As getting fitted very soon, if not already, I am now a bit concerned! Craig didn't seem to think too intrusive after the first one was done and he knows my preferences. He was saying the kit is lovely bit of worklmanship from 2bular.

Do you think it frees up any ponies? :w00t: Does the car feel different or is it all just noise? ;)

Old fart alarm. :question: As an aside, when the terminology 'headers' is used what are we exactly referring to?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

The decat pipe is perfect:-) it's really nice with the sports exhaust and perfect when cruising. Remember I have the STD ratios. My worry is the headers combined with my current set up. If u r in Aberdeen I've welcome to have a listen to my car

Al, Headers = Manifolds , on the 2GR engine they contain pre-cat's.

Kyber, if it's borderline now, changing the headers would push it over the edge - however, would you refit the main cat if you did? or simply do it at MOT time? Also, when you did the decat did you notice any improvement in performance?

It feels faster but that's subjective. Sounds lovely. I'm weighing up the option of cai vs a header. What struck me about the evora is how refined it is. Had an exige with a janspeed exhaust and it was crazy. I want a car that u can drive across Europe

The decat pipe is perfect:-) it's really nice with the sports exhaust and perfect when cruising. Remember I have the STD ratios. My worry is the headers combined with my current set up. If u r in Aberdeen I've welcome to have a listen to my car

Thanks for the offer Khyber but unfortunately or fortunately depending on how thinking I am offshore at present and I am picking up the car on the day after return home anyway so I will get to hear it soon enough for myself! :D However you have put my mind at rest as that aligns with what Craig at MMC told me as well. Looking forward to hearing it! :thumbsup:

Go on and take the plunge with Radium CIA so I can hear yours first!! :whistle: I think a lot of us are on the fence there! Not the cost holding me back. Although many posts extol its virtues it is only natural to want to hear it first as well when not just building a track or play thing car.

Al, Headers = Manifolds , on the 2GR engine they contain pre-cat's.

Kyber, if it's borderline now, changing the headers would push it over the edge - however, would you refit the main cat if you did? or simply do it at MOT time? Also, when you did the decat did you notice any improvement in performance?

Jaws, thanks for the old fart briefing! :harhar: Makes sense and was on my short list of possibles honest!

I will be asking Craig to test the cars emissions with the new set up and tell me if it will pass the MOT or not with the by-pass in place or even how close is it. He has promised a good rate to refit, test and remove again when MOT comes round. (Honest Guv. :whistle: ) Not a lot of £ are involved which is why I agreed to it, or it would become an annual PITA. Still it is also generating business for him as I would never normally go that far to get my MOT's via him having used somebody else locally for last 25+ years so he's not stupid!

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

So I got chatting to Bibs today at the P1 car meet and he said I can just remove the 3rd cat. This thread seems to disagree with that.

I have a 2010 NA with sports exhaust and want the car to be a little louder.

Answers on a postcard please (or just on here!!!)

This thread doesn't disagree with that, there was just an issue with what MMC was offering which has been cleared up now.

The 3rd CAT can be removed without any issues - MY12 (non-federal) Evora's no longer have it and it shouldn't have any affect come MOT time. I know of 2 companies that currently offer a decat pipe for your car - Larini (see my link) and 2bular. I'm sure other companies can fabricate you one though. The change will give you approx. 5dB increase in sound.

Have you heard the difference between exhaust note on a MY12 and on a MY11? I think it's noticeable and a bargain if only £80!

MY12 Evoras use a different silencer (a Janspeed one), the difference in sound is mostly down to that rather than the decat.

Edited by JAWS

Ah, thanks for clarifying - B&C said they'd fit the decat to a MY11 S I was interested in "to make it sound like a MY12". Is it possible to fit the MY12 Janspeed silencer to a MY11 car as a straight replacement or are there other differences?

It isn't a simple swap. The MY12 silencer's actuator is in a different location, this means the solenoid valve feed pipes etc will need to be changed plus the rear undertray will need to be altered to stop the actuator fouling on it and aid cooling.

A decat on a pre-MY12 'S' will certainly be closer to the sound of a MY12 than a N/A would be due to the nature of the actuating valve already on its silencer.

:thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Woza, I am assured by Craig at MMC that the mix of a Sports Exhaust and the By-Pass pipe is just right as Khyber has said. (Headers going too far for what I'll want) Sufficiently loud and nicely aural but not stupid Saxo loud or deafening on longer runs. I'll confirm on 1st on collection. :thumbsup: I'm also going to have the MOT emmisions' checked as well so will know the effect there also.

I've ordered a bypass pipe from Jim - fingers crossed it sounds good :scooter:

:thumbsup: Warren, are you planning on fitting it yourself? If so give me a shout if you want any pointers.

Yvo at Elise Shop is working on some 3-2-1 headers, watch this space (or give him a call?)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.