Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ahhh yes I remember... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ahhh yes I remember...

Rick Edwards

Over the past couple of months I have been having some serious thoughts about the sense of keeping the Esprit in the garage. Pressures of work and lack of practicality with a baby were making me think that a consolidation of cars into a new Galaxy or something may be sensible.

Then yesterday I had a spare half hour and took a friend out to "charge the Lotus battery.... "

60 miles later we realised we really did have work to do, but my mind is freshly reminded about WHY i have the car. Its not about practicality, common sense or in fact anything tangible at all. If anyone asks me why I have a Lotus I still dont actually think I can answer them. I can however go out for a drive on the roads of Devon and give them a chace to answer the question for themselves. The only down side is that after the weather of the past few days I now have to spend a couple of hours with a sponge.

Twitter @radioRedwards

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wondered over the past few years about keeping the Elise. Its hard during the winter months (I am fair weather with my cars for better or worse) but when you get to drive them, all that doubt disappears.

As long as financially you don't need to sell, I wouldn't - you work hard during the week and have to have some reward for it.

You can always sell in the future at a later date, but once its gone....

Look upon it as therapy. No better way of relieving stress, and it doesn't need a box of tissues, ahem.

Even though I have only owned my Esprit for a few months, I sometimes wonder if it has been worth all the effort and money, then I drive it - pure therapy.

There are so few cars seen with any frequency that cause such a stir, either as passive (yet often highly animated) spectator or experiential direct participant. Each drive is a visual "gift" to the masses and a cathartic rejuvenation of the soul for the man at the wheel.

Part with it? With what would you fill the void?:)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

It's all about emotion, they are hard work to live with and often you wonder why you keep it when a more practical car would be a better option. Then, you take it out for a blast and you realise why, when it all comes together, everything working in harmony, sun out, country road, the sound, the retro styling and the emotion they give you is just priceless.

I had a chap come round to try/buy mine last week and the day before gave it an extra polish and just looking at in the drive gleaming I seriously asked myself it I was doing the right thing. Then we went out for a test drive and the guys euphoria over the car really made me think, still I'll just have to wait to see if he sells his car.

As its been said, you can't put a price on enjoyment, I've tried to go without sports cars several times & always get withdrawl symptons! they're not sensible/practical cost loads (at times) but its worth every penny. Take my boat, it costs £2500.00 just to keep it in the marina per year & then theres insurance/repairs/fuel (4mpg) etc. Last year the boat had about 20 hours use, it makes no sense but each of those 20 hours were golden :smoke: