free hit
counters
Antifreeze - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Just been down to halfords for some Antifreeze,i left the shop without buying any.

I looked at the ones in the shop and most of the labels said things like, engines built after 98,one had engines built after 2004,I think one said after 98 and suitable for alloy engines :dizzy: .

Most of them had this on the label Organic Acid Technology,so is this a load of B****CKS and I can just put anything in or is there somthing specific i should use ? :):shuriken:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently using the comma pink one, which you can get in halfords...although I couldnt find it originally, so made the mistake of asking someone who worked there, they said they only sold their own brand...then two mins later I found it in a different part of the shop! Useless...

Anyhow I digress, I use the pink one x40 I think it is as its suitable for alloy engines, Lamborghini etc.... I do have a stock of the proper castrol stuff too for the next engine out service end of the year to change too. Ive had no issues, it runs fine with no temp issues etc. As any coolant in my car wont be in there for more than about 2 years, or 3 to5000 miles I dont see any issues.

if you aren't doing a full flush, then you need to put in the same color as what you had. Changing to a different type while there is still old coolant is bad, they will reduce each others corrosion prevention additives. And can gunk things up.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• 5 weeks later...

Most antifreeze doesn't have as good thermal transmission properties as pure water but using pure water brings far more issues than it solves. So, using antifreeze means the car's system tends to be running very marginally warmer with antifreeze but each type will be marginally different.

And that's bad because.....?

I'm glad that Sue's engine runs cool on the pink stuff, one less thing to worry about !

John

Boost old boy, if the engine runs under 73-78 degrees you dont get max boost

To be fair John, I think I have a thermostat issue, rather than it just being the coolant type, but that plus the extra core in the new rad contributes.

• 6 months later...

I have to get some antifreeze. I looked on the Comma site and it says Lotus Esprit (81-94) use G48 on the data sheet it says its clear blue/green but above everyone was saying pink? Does it matter?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Put the pink in, it lasts longer :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The pink stuff lasts longer.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ring Lotus now and ask for their technical dept. They'll recommend the pink stuff (OAT), we had all this come up some years ago when a dodgy vendor was selling chargecooler impellers which dissolved in it!

Blue stuff - change annually.

Pink stuff - change ever 5 years.

Evora NA

They still use the same technology for coolant!

Evora NA

Thanks Bibs for your answer. I posted the question then had to pop out. I was in Smarts Autopoarts and was that close to buying the other stuff, when I thought I will just check the old Forum to see if anyone had replied!

I will go with the pink stuff!

Buddsy :unworthy:

As I said before, use the same color that was already in the car!

Unless you are flushing about 10gal of distilled water through to change the color of antifreeze. Which I have done...

If you mix two different types they turn into gunk and you lose the corrosion prevention.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Not over here. Most will say on the label that they are cross compatible.

Evora NA

They still use the same technology for coolant!

No offense guys but....... http://www.jaylenosg...ant/index.shtml

I have it in my cars and never changed it. The minute you introduce water to the cooling system you are compromising. Period.

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Edited by Bentzion

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

As I said before, use the same color that was already in the car!

When I bought my car it didn't have any in...well there was some rust in there as the engine was in bits with no head or cams. So after my rebuild are you suggesting I go with what was there before and use nothing!! hahaha :harhar: Well it would be cheaper for a while at least...

Buddsy :welcome: