free hit
counters
S2 front chassis cross brace .. Missing? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S2 front chassis cross brace .. Missing?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working through rebuilding my suspension/ chassis... While looking at the SJ website i've noticed that they have a front chassis cross brace available.

My car doesn't have this part... could it be missing or is it just an s1 part?

I've been in touch with Paul Coleman and he's informed me that he has this part on his s1... (Cheers for the help Paul! :) )

Cheers,

Vin

post-5592-0-13136700-1331203898.jpg

Vin Taylor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't a cross brace.

It is bolted to the anti roll bar bush bracket (bottom).

It is used to bolt a piece of sheet metal to this bracket and also to the radiator housing, to cover a gap.

Edited by markjonesx

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

This isn't a cross brace.

It is bolted to the anti roll bar bush bracket (bottom).

It is used to bolt a piece of sheet metal to this bracket and also to the radiator housing, to cover a gap.

Hi Mark,

On the SJ Site its marked as front cross brace.. Since I have an inclined radiator could it be I don't actually need this part?

Cheers,

Vin

Vin Taylor

Well, whatever it is, it isnt structural. Its way to thin. It a mounting plinth, nothing more.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Well, whatever it is, it isnt structural. Its way to thin. It a mounting plinth, nothing more.

That's true .. I guess the word 'Brace' put me off thinking its something structural ..

One less thing to bolt on !!

Cheers Guys,

Vin

Vin Taylor

Yup, that's a fair point Vin. The chassis does has a cross brace at the rear of car. Not sure about the earlier models. That's pretty much what I thought you were referring to initially.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

As already mentioned this is to support a piece of steel which bolts to the back of the fibreglass radiator housing on an S1...

undercarriage0421.jpg

Vin's question is does the S2 also have the same arrangement? I wasn't able to help him as I don't have an S2. So, any S2 owners care to shed some light on this...

If this is an S2 then I guess it's a different arrangement?

frontnqa.jpg

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

As already mentioned this is to support a piece of steel which bolts to the back of the fibreglass radiator housing on an S1...

undercarriage0421.jpg

Vin's question is does the S2 also have the same arrangement? I wasn't able to help him as I don't have an S2. So, any S2 owners care to shed some light on this...

If this is an S2 then I guess it's a different arrangement?

frontnqa.jpg

Paul.

Hi Paul I guess there actually is a front brace then! It looks the similar, however the SJ one has nuts welded to the bottom of it .. Or maybe i'll just get one made here in Malta.

I guess it just clamps onto the ARB mounts, so 2 bolt holes

Cheers for the pic Paul!

Vin.

Vin Taylor

But it's not supporting anything, so why bother? It's not strong enough to do anything, so if it were me I'd save my money.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Yes the S2 has one but as above I'm not sure what it actually does. These no steel sheet on the S2.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Yes the S2 has one but as above I'm not sure what it actually does. These no steel sheet on the S2.

I'm just going to have one made over here.. at least it would be as original as possible :P

Cheers Guys,

Vin

Vin Taylor