free hit
counters
Rear caliper removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rear caliper removal

Hi all.

I want to remove my rear calipers so i can service them. Can someone please tell me the correct procedure with regards to disconecting the handbrake cable? The cable will not pass through the hole in the caliper whilst the nut is on. Do i have to remove it or is there something im missing? The workshop manual is a bit vague about this subject.

Thanks.

Dave.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manualy move the lever forward and disconnect the cable from the handbrake mechanism on the caliper, the cable SHOULD just pull out of the lug on the caliper,(you will probably find it is corroded in place , so give it a good soaking in wd40)

mine was corroded on the right calliper and when i gave it too much of a tap to knock it out - the lug on the caliper snapped off!! managed to get it welded back on at work, the left caliper cable slid out no problem.

handbrake.jpgbrake.jpg

Dodgy

Edited by dodgy154

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well the calipers have been serviced and refitted along with braided brake lines.

But im having trouble getting the drivers side handbrake cable to fit through the hole in the lever.

The otherside went in in 30 seconds but this has been an hour so far! :blink:

I think this is because the cable has a little less flex in it.

Anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Dave.

only thing i can sugest, is to slacken the handbrake adjuster off for that side only.

i found the handbrake cable was in need of it before i took mine off anyway.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

• 14 years later...

I need to remove the rear calipers on my 1984 US spec Turbo because I am lifting the engine out as part of a recommissioning of the car.  Do I need to disconnect the handbrake cable from the caliper in order to disconnect the caliper from the rear axle or can I leave the cable connected?  Photo below of the right side rear caliper. 

From this thread I am being a bit dumb (American) and not following how to disconnect the cable....

Rear Caliper 01.jpg

6 hours ago, Geeman said:

I need to remove the rear calipers on my 1984 US spec Turbo

UK spec no, US spec I would have thought were the same :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

pretty sure you can do it without removing the cable as long as the handbrake is off and there is not too much of a lip on the edge of the brake disc. Just remember not to hand the calliper on the brake line, support it with a tiewrap or similar. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remove the spring and this will allow the lever to move a few mm out of the caliper. It gives a little more space to get the nipple through the hole. Personally I think its better to remove the calipers first. Disconnect the hose first then the 2 sliding pins. Remove the caliper and its easier to remove the cable last.