free hit
counters
RH fuel rail, shraeder valve leaking - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

RH fuel rail, shraeder valve leaking

Hy there ..

this turns out to be a bad start into the season.

On 4 of march 2012 we already testet the car, after snow & ice it was the first time on track again. All went well ..apart from a broken cable for the rear luggage/tailgate (now fixed temporarly).

But my passenger notet that I have a stronger smell of fuel than on other days last year. It was also hard to get the engine starting within the last couple of weeks. The starter motor needed notable more time to crank until the engine starts & idles stable, and while I have fixed the problem on the starter (magnet-switch) caused by overstressing and all those odd trys of cranking -it is now all back in.

Engine tested ..and there you have it -two 'prime' cycles are not enough to start the car, the starter motor cranks the engine really long ..and after inspection there is a loss in fuel pressure

-sadly not a easy raplacable fuel pipe, no .. just under the black plastic cap that covers the shraeder-valve from dirt.

So the question:

Is the actual inner shraeder-valve (the control valve to plug a pressure tester into the fuel system) replacable (just like a tire valve??) ..or is it as the part number A918E0038F for the RH rail suggest just a 'one piece' replacement item ?

Is a good used one available somewhere, with a tight not leaking shraeder-valve body ??

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's how it looks for now ..risky , but it works (added a small shim of rubber into the cap, and fitted the cap with a locking wire for safety reasons)

post-1463-0-84092100-1331646118.jpg

@Pete & Wayne: thanks for the reply

..as long as it means that it really can be separated from the rail-body (as I only could see the welded *add on* on the main tube profile so far) the material for the sealing would not such a big problem.

If it turns out to be to soft, or not chemical-compatible with fuel I would try to make my own (out of something rubbish, with surprisingly good effects ..just like you know me ;) ) From my impression the spring on the actual setup has lost a lot of its preload -if this is caused by the spring itself, or just bny the broken sealing we will see.

*so far I thought there was no 'factory clear out' sale for old production parts anymore ..but I hope that I'm wrong on this and it will be part of the Forum-announcements for long.

First step can only be there: inspect condituion of the rail, and find a way to undo the valve

AC Delco #12570619

I am guessing you mean the actual valve not the metal fuel rail housing. Easily replaced...takes seconds if you have the little valve removal tool. Its identical to replacing a tire valve....hint ask a tire shop for the tool.

Fuel Valve - Most General Motors 1991 - 2008 AC Delco #12570619. Cost like 10~ 20 bucks with a new cap.

Look up tire valve removal tool....its just a little fork looking thing. A small pair of needle nose pliers could be uses to undo it. It just unscrews. Look up the tool....you could make one really quickly.

See picture at

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cXSfXSCzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Keep in mind the black cap serves no purpose other then as a dust cover...it has no sealing abilities and is not made to hold back any kind of pressure!!

• 2 weeks later...
..Keep in mind the black cap serves no purpose other then as a dust cover...it has no sealing abilities and is not made to hold back any kind of pressure!!

..thanks for the parts reference -I know the ordinary tire valves well ..just thought there is a dimensional/conceptional difference

Oh, and as for the pressure -that's why I used the wire there and a piece of rubber to assist ..and I was on track/ on road now with this 'construction' (so knock on wood ) -will see that I can find a replacement after easter-holydays

thanks again, it is so easy if you know what you have to expect to see .. and yeah -maybe I have just found the weak point on my *Ethanol fueling* experiments ?!

If you look closer you can see where the valve failed on the base (the rubber sealing is not in good shape, not going all around)

will try to fit one of my various *tire valves* ..so cheap fix for now (even if it means that a valve under this conditions only lasts 10years .. lol )

post-1463-0-31830500-1333705132.jpg

there is now one of my 'tire-valves' fitted into ..so I will seee how long it lasts

-was on a easter 'round tour' of 300km yesterday, to met some friends..all without a leak. Next weekend I need to cover up 600km towards Hockenheim (Jim-Clark-Revival), and get back home save & sound ..

• 2 weeks later...

yes, right -car was full of power, and running fine ..how long this cheap fix will work is unknown.

-but as a sidenote: for now the engine power was just to much :D the 918 has 'eaten' the second set of clutch plates on the *Jim-Clark-Revival* in Hockenheim ..so the next problem is surely not an easy (cheapish) fix !!

post-1463-0-70557900-1335298169.jpg

Edited by Günter