free hit
counters
Let's talk about wastegates - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nemick

Let's talk about wastegates

HI All,

I have a few questions and I'm hoping the amassed knowledge here can help me understand a few thinigs.

I am running a '91 SE with upgraded turbo, injectors and fuel system. Most things seem to be working pretty well, but I need some advice regarding the wastegate actuator. The wastegate actuator is pretty new, but a stock item. Funds do not currently permit an upgrade to a "Forge" or whatever. I am trying to set the actuator to the recommended specs as outlined in the manual. Once set to the prescribed opening value, the rod is too short to reach the wastegate lever without extending it via air pressure to the diaphragm. Is this normal or will this be putting something else out of spec?

Also, I will be adjusting the minimum air inlet setting to get my IAC within spec. Right now Freescan shows my 'normal' idle at about 135 counts on the IAC. I have ruled out other issues and after 21 years I think I need to just adjust the thing. I have read that the maximum count is 170 when the IAC is parked. Can someone tell me whether, when parked, if the IAC is fully extended, or fully retracted?

Many thanks

Neil M.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Neil

Having set it by the book, the actuator should be difficult to get onto the wastegate lever, but only by a fraction. You should be able to pull it on without air pressure.

IAC count is zero when the plunger is fully extended, so parked must be retracted! I recently had exactly the same issue with an SE - adjusted the minimum rate and it ran sweet as a nut.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

HI Sparky, Many thanks for the clarifications, they are much appreciated.

Neil M.

Neil,

I sent you a PM. I haven't seen you for years! hope everything is well.

Have you tried resetting the IAC via Freescan yet? That would be the first thing to do, they can get lost occassionally, especially if disconnected while the engine is running.

Are you following the Lotus EMH manual instruction for setting the minimum air rate bleed screw to get the IAC between 25-40?

A high IAC count could also be due to an obstruction in the manifold, like buildup around the throttle butterflies.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Travis

Resetting the IAC via Freescan has been done several times. I'm getting a reading of around 130 counts during idle and would just like to get it closer to factory spec as I go through the various controls. The butterflies are clean and I feel I have eliminated other possible causes. I think it's entirely possible that a PO may have messed with it or due to age, it's simply time for an adjustment. The idle on my car isn't particularly bad, but this is just one step in trying to ensure that all settings are within original spec.

Neil M.

I'm amazed your idle isn't horrible, and that the car isn't stalling the first time you touch the throttle, with an IAC that high. I had a high IAC once and it would do that.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Normal wastegate setting, without pressure pump and gauge,

you can set the turnbuckle to the length that in valve closed situation.

The hole in the turnbuckle is at half way covering the pin on the lever. +/- 3mm.

Then you can extend by hand the rod by 3mm And drop it on the lever.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com