free hit
counters
Oil Pump Timing Pulley - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Oil Pump Timing Pulley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

During last years tear down after my timing belt fiasco, found I had the same problem. Actually needed to get to the last bolt on the water pump. Tried everything to get the allen head to release. Wound up taking the entire oil pump / distributor drive assembly off the engine! Just to get at the last bolt! Just don't understand why Lotus went to an Allen Head drive screw when there is plenty of room for a hex head bolt. Guess that is why Lotus had such a wonderful reputation for building "kit cars"!

Tried the dedicated hex drive socket as suggested by Steve. Had the same result as you.

Lyn

I have sorted this now using Andys trick with the old timing belt around the pulley in the vice.

Heated it up and also let some WD40 soak in overnight.

Good socket and my breaker bar did the job.

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

Standard RH thread.

Got an old belt? You could use the help secure it in a vice and prevent it turning (belt round pulley, belt into vice jaws and clamp, then the pulley cannot rotate).

Sorry for being so dense, but I assume we're talking about engine out of the car?

Mark,

Was warned by my Lotus Guru heating the pulley might ruin the bearing in the drive. He mentioned the screw / bolt was installed with Loctite. As the pulley rotates in the same direction as tightening the bolt, why oh why would they use Loctite? As my engine is still not running, can't tell you if I correctly re-installed the oil pump assembly! Can tell you the Allen Head is still securely installed retaining the timing pulley! The new / rebuilt water pump came with an Allen Head bolt to replace the unreachable hex head. Starting on attempting to install the new timing belt tomorrow. Weather should be in the high seventies. Wish me luck!

Lyn

Yes, the engine is on total strip down.

It would have to be really. Otherwise, I couldn't see how the vice trick would work.

I suppose you could use the same trick when re-fitting/torquing the pulley back again?

More of a flat drift or a very small hammer.

Flat drift on the visible end pushing it toward the oil pump, if the visible end is pointing down so you cannot do that then use a small hammer and very light strokes to tap the other end down, the visible end will then raise up and hopefully far enough to either drift as above or just push out.

How does the dizzy casting separate from the other small casting, do they just push apart after you have separated the lock plate?

Or do I need to hammer on the oil pump end of the dizzy shaft?

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!