free hit
counters
PANIC! - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

PANIC!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they did blame the British Airways strike on Unite as well at the time. I think Unite were causing just as much trouble for the previous encumbant of Downing Street. He likes to throw his weight around does Len Mc!

Really........REALLY? Decanting fuel over a lit cooker? How Stupid do you have to be!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17561078

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Yes I'm going to microwave a gallon down to make it more concentrated so its more poweful *

* Obvioulsy this is a joke!!!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Now considering that they said that when demand was up 65% like Wednesday, the govt made an extra £30 million in fuel duty revenue, and the news today says demand was up 170% yesterday.....you do the math.

Somebody at work said the same thing today but I don't understand the logic. Sales are up but consumption isn't; therefore surely this just means sales will fall below usual levels over the next week or so because everyone has a full tank. In fact, if people think a fuel shortage is imminent they are likely to be more careful with their fuel usage and make it last even longer before the next fill up.

P.s it's maths not math, you are still a Brit not matter how much you hate the country my dear fellow!

Well they did blame the British Airways strike on Unite as well at the time. I think Unite were causing just as much trouble for the previous encumbant of Downing Street. He likes to throw his weight around does Len Mc! Really........REALLY? Decanting fuel over a lit cooker? How Stupid do you have to be! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17561078

I just read that and wondered why would someone let it breathe in the kitchen hell rum is cheaper than gasoline...

I think it's fast enough…maybe

I think its just bringing the income forward, though if people are storing it in Jerry cans that would be additional sales rather than deferred, no?

Thanks for correcting me mom!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The whole business of petrol transport and storage is ridiculously complicated. Since they hadn't been invented when the Petroleum Regulations were drawn up in 1928, jerry cans are illegal if you go to the strict letter of the law. This is the RYA guide...

http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/legal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Clubs/Premises/CARRIAGE%20AND%20STORAGE%20OF%20PETROL.pdf

It's a good a starting point as any. Note that it doesn't specifically prohibit pouring petrol into a jug in the kitchen by a lit gas stove.

Such people should die before they get a chance to breed...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Guest surferphil

Does anyone actually own a Jerry can? The Military and WWII enthusiasts excepted of course.

I'm pretty sure its illegal to fill and store a Jerry can of petrol.

I cannot believe what a nanny state you lot live in. Our petrol price goes up automatically every 1st Wednesday of the month and I have three 25 litre plastic containers which I fill up and store in the garage the weekend before the price increase. Is it not safer to store 75 litres in plastic containers in the garage rather than in a steel tank in the back of your car, e.g. fuel tank.

Our petrol price is going up 75 cents per litre from midnight Tuesday and I have already filled all my cars and the three extra tanks which are safely stored in the garage.

The maximum you can store at your home is 30 litres.

The jerry can is a 20 litre metal can. it is illegal to store petrol in one of these, this is because you are not allowed to carry 20 litres in just one container.

The 10 litre metal can

The maximum you can use is two of these = 20 litres in metal cans.

The 5 litre plastic can

The maximum you can use is two of these = 10 litres.

OR a combination of metal + plastic cans

The maximum you can store is 30 litres using a combination.

2 x 10 litre metal cans + 2 X 5 litre plastic cans = 30 litres in total.

And what is a Jerry can?

_59379330_014381615-1.jpg20 litre Jerry can illegal for home use

A jerry can holds 20 litres in one container, which is against the law.

It is an old fashioned bit of kit, made out of strong pressed metal and designed in Germany back in the 1930's.

How do you get fuel from the petrol station ?

There is a grey area in the law, it is not clear on how much you can keep in your car. It's down to the police and whether the officer who stops you thinks it's a "dangerous load" or "may be hazardous".

The Fire Brigade say if you're stopped by the police, carrying fuel in cans could possibly be seen as "a dangerous or hazardous load".

The AA also say they are "desperately worried" about people storing petrol and diesel which it describes as "incredibly, incredibly dangerous".

The AA recommends people "shouldn't even contemplate storing it at all."

However, it is not illegal to store fuel at home as long as you stick to the set limits.

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Guest surferphil

Yes, that's exactly what I thought, well the bit about it being illegal, the rest is way too detailed for me to know, nice to see a picture of old Jerry's can too.

I even let empty tetra cans breathe outside for a couple of days before I store them in the garage.

:innocent:

Very useful info - certainly one of those areas of our endless unnecessary statutes that I knew nothing about. As is often the case, I know of many who are in breach of these limits. Many in the countryside need much higher stocks of fuels for various bits of kit - not just cars. I've got a puckka road tow bowser for my red diesel, but just plastic containers for petrol as the volume demand is a bit lower - just strimmers, blowers, vacs, chainsaws, stump grinder, hedge trimmer, etc, etc. Even so a 5 litre can or two doesn't really cut it for me in my playpen. Quite how a more serious groundcare operation would be expected to cope with a 30litre store I dont know! Would that apply if I bought another bowser for unleaded?? Many many people in the countryside could easily be found to be not operating entirely within this 30 litre limit.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Such a strike by tanker drivers would be illegal here in the States. A strike that causes harm or impacts the life's others is against federal law . Truck drivers in the US have threatened to strike over and over again over the cost of fuel. Especially when fuel gets over $4.00 a gallon like it is now. Any strike by a truck driver over any issue is illegal as such an action would effect 'Interstate Commerce' and thus effect and impact the life's of others not directly related to the dispute. The law is enforced by threatening the union leaders, not the union members, with imprisonment and heavy fines are imposed that they must pay personally and not with union assistance. A few years ago there was a Subway strike in New York. Only about 50% of the workers actually went on strike and it was abandoned within a day or so because a Federal Judge was going to issue arrest warrants for the union leaders.

Its soooooo sad even after all the publicity about stocks being OK and no imminent industrial action, I had to fill up on the way to work today and there was a guy at the pump next to me with a van. He filled the tank on the vehicle then opened the door and started filling the dozen or so jerry can sized plastic containers in the back with Diesel!!!!!!! he had well over £200 on the pump when I left. of course if he runs the place dry then there WILL be a shortage for everyone else. And of course he is driving a well stacked bomb on the roads.

Twitter @radioRedwards

I cannot believe what a nanny state you lot live in. Our petrol price goes up automatically every 1st Wednesday of the month.

Our petrol price is going up 75 cents per litre from midnight Tuesday and I have already filled all my cars and the three extra tanks which are safely stored in the garage.

Bleedin hell, how much a ltr do you pay now then Roger? !

Unfortunately, this kind of panic brings out the people who have cars at home who may only do 50 miles a week at the most.

Isn't it the last week of the financial year too?

I also noted the price per liter went up again by 2p for unleaded, the cheapest around here is now £1.37.7 / liter (£6.28 / UK gal ) (( that's US$2.20 / litre or US$5.185 / us-gal ))

on the good side, my little citroen c1 managed 62.5mpg this week :D

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

"(( that's US$2.20 / litre or US$5.185 / us-gal ))"

Pedantic observation, Dave, but...

2.20 X 3.78 = US $8.316 / U.S. gal

If (when?) the price per gallon in The States reached that level, there would be a countrywide revolution, so spoiled are we in the land of gas guzzling SUV's. People here are already up in arms at [a nationwide avg of] $4.xx / gal, half the UK rate (if it were to be measured in "apples to apples" gallons, rather than imperial).

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Hey Dodgy. Our price as at today is R11 per litre and it is going up by close to 75c per litre on Wednesday. If you look at the present exchange rate of R12 30 to purchase one pound Sterling we are paying a little under one pound per litre.

In the price of our petrol is a 3rd party road accident fund amount. This fund is there to pay out the huge claims when our overloaded taxis (18 passenger without seat belts) have accidents by bad driving and excessive speeding. These Toyota Hi Ace Taxis in the rest of the World are licensed to carry only 10 passengers.

• Gold FFM

Nice! Our increases just fund Westminster's drinks cabinet.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Guest surferphil

I have never seen the shell station so empty on a sunday afternoon! and they had the ggod stuff too, last month I could not get any 97 and there was a que for 95! :D Almost tempted to buy too much fuel for when the panic is over. ;)

I hope I can fill up. The 2 cheapest near me have both been out of diesel all weekend and I have to go to Bristol tomorrow!

Peanut oil, Tony! Think peanut oil. Yeah, that's the ticket.:)

There's a profiteering fcuker local to me who was charging £1.47.9 for 95 & £1.51.9 for Derv over the weekend.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Set up a cigarette stand next to pump #1 and see if that get's his attention.:)