free hit
counters
O2 Sensor Fault ? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

O2 Sensor Fault ?

philip600

Hi,

My Engine light came on briefly the other day followed by a bit of a mis-fire. Stopped the car & checked plug leads & O2 sensor lead etc. Re-started & car ran fine for rest of journey.

When I got home I plugged in Freescan which showed Code 13 - O2 sensor circuit.

Cleared the code but when I went out for a run last nights again the CEL came on briefly although this time no mis-fire, car was running fine.

Just checked with Freescan & now Code 44 - O2 sensor lean showing.

Question is, do you think this is likely to be a fault with the actual sensor ?

This was replaced last year with pattern one from SJS.

Your very knowledgable thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SJs sell and aftermarket one an they're always troublesome on the Esprit. If it's not the delco one (that's OEM too) then call Steve and ask him for a genuine one.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a quick update.

There is no part number of the O2 sensor & it's definately not a genuine Lotus one.

I am very grateful to a forum member who has loaned me a genuine Lotus O2 sensor to try. I fitted this one Friday, disconnected the battery to re-set the ecu & have now had three trips out in the car since then with no problems or CEL so it's looking likely that it is the sensor at fault ? I noticed that the genuine one has a much larger sensor head & looks better quality then the one I bought.

I got in touch with SJS & they have agreed to test the one I've removed & if faulty I'm hoping they may offer to refund against a genuine sensor. Either way I'm going to replace it with the correct Lotus one.

I'll report back & let you know how I get on.

Regards, Phil.

The OEM sensor will have a 4th wire to heat the sensor too, perhaps the one SJ's supplied was missing this?

If they sold it as genuine, you are completely entitled to a refund as they've mis-sold it to you. It doesn't matter that he's sold 10 million and you're the first to complain, which isn't the case as much as I'm sure you tell them it is, if you ordered a genuine OEM part they should have supplied it. Don't put up for any of their 'restocking fee' junk either.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The OEM sensor will have a 4th wire to heat the sensor too, perhaps the one SJ's supplied was missing this?

If they sold it as genuine, you are completely entitled to a refund as they've mis-sold it to you. It doesn't matter that he's sold 10 million and you're the first to complain, which isn't the case as much as I'm sure you tell them it is, if you ordered a genuine OEM part they should have supplied it. Don't put up for any of their 'restocking fee' junk either.

Hi Bibs,

The sensor I bought form SJS has 4 wires.

He has two listed on his website, the one I bought which is listed as 'non Lotus' & an original Lotus item so I have no problem with what was supplied just the fact that it appears to be 'faulty'

The sensor had been in the car for about 1000 miles before any aparent problem although since replaceing the sensor, back box & cat bypass in September the engine seems to run a bit richer than it did before. I have nothing to back this up though other than the exhuast tip seems very 'sooty'

I've never checked the MPG or know what the ommissions where before.

It was only recently that the CEL has been coming on & an initial miss-fire. Both faults pointing to the O2 sensor or wiring loom to it.

Since fitting the original Lotus sensor I have loaned there has, so far been no more issues. I haven't had a good long run out yet though so my findings are far from conclusive but it does point to the O2 sensor.

This has been returned to SJS to test & I'm awaiting his response.

Will let you know what happens.

Either way I'll be replacing the sensor with an original Lotus part.

Regards, Phil.

Just spoke to Steve @ SJS & he has agreed to refund cost of the O2 sensor from purchase of a genuine one which should be here next week. Fingers crossed.

Phil.

:thumbsup: Result, happy days :)

Evora NA

Hi,

Quick update. Steve ( SJS ) was true to his word, refunded cost of non-original O2 sensor I returned & replaced with genuine Lotus one ( Delphi ES 10057 ) which arrived yesterday. Hopefully get it swapped on Saturday & get a run out to test it.

That's if it ever stops raining :-(

Phil.

Hopefully now sorted.

Fitted new genuine O2 sensor & been for 20 mile run out, no CEL, no mis-fire & exhaust tip does not seem anywhere near as sooty as before. I don't pretend to know how they work but suspect the first non-original sensor may have been giving incorrect readings to ecu regarding fueling as the exhaust tip was always very black ?

Anyway, just glad it's sorted, running like a dream today with MAT at 19 degrees :-)

Many thanks go to Peter ( Mr oogieboogie ) for the loan of the O2 sensor, much appreciated.

Phil.

• 9 years later...

I found x-ref list for AFS99, don't know if it is correct.

Any thoughts?

ACDelco afs99
CITROEN E144001
FIAT 465234950
NISSAN 226 A 0 0 Z 801
CITROEN 9619112180
LANCIA 465496740
FORD XF5Z-9F472-HA

MrDangerUS