free hit
counters
ignition amplifyer and coil overheating - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stink

ignition amplifyer and coil overheating

Has anyone had a similar problem , i have a lotus esprit s3 na 1986 , i have found that when the car has been driven for over 45 mins it start to misfire and judder between 2/3000 revs and makes the rev counter flicker , i have found that the igition amplifyer and coil are really hot does anyone have any suggestions ? i have already fitted new plugs, coil and ingnition amplifyer and the car has been in the garage for the timing setting up and carbs have been reset .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Had same problem on mine though I had Lumenition. Initially thought it was an earthing issue, but eventually gave up and bought an alternative system and problem went. Had tried new coil, plugs and leads as they can degrade, but my problem seemed to be with the lumenition itself.

What is the reference number thats printed on the bottom of the coll? Assuming its the original, it should be a 32C5. (which draws no current in the stalled condition) If its after market it must be compatible with electronic ignition, not a 'generic' coil. Probably worth double checking.

thanks for reply mate .the coil is a non balest coil and a new electronic amp at wits end with one

Hi any update on this one, I am having the exact same problem, the car will run for about 6 miles then start to missfire then eventualy die on me, if I leave her for about 10 mins then she runs fine again.

John.

See my thread "Poor running when hot" under in Carbs/ Fuel. Stil not fixed mine yet!

Mine get really hot too, but have had no effect (that I know of) on the operation of the car. Nevertheless, I'm planning on dumping them for a modern EDIS-based system.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad