free hit
counters
Headlight replacement - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'd like to replace the headlights on my '86 HCi.

They work fine....to a point. It's just that they are about as bright as a small candle compared to todays super bright headlights!

What's the best way of replacing the originals for something that will actually show me the road at night?

Thanks.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Umm.

1) Buy new ones

2) Remove old ones

3) Install new ones

4) Wait for dark

5) Turn them on

:hrhr:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

It could just be that the reflectors have lost a fair bit of silver in which case replacement units are the way to go. I've assumed you already have H4 lamp units rather than sealed beam or anything ancient. Also a switch of bulbs can make a massive difference, even sticking to the same power, I now use Osram NightBreaker and they claim to emit 80-90% more visible light than a standard H4 lamp, it's hard to quantify that but they certainly make driving in the dark easier.

Definitely sealed beams in north america in those years...we like to drive in the dark!

Hella H4 and H1 are a good conversion for us Adam, if you want more bang, you can also install new high tech bulbs but the step from sealed beams to the H4s is already impressive.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Thanks for that info Ramjet :unworthy:

Yes, I've got original sealed beams. So the H4's and H1's are a simple switch out?

I take it the H1's are the way forward rather than the squarer H4's?

Edited by cookieguy

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

H1s are a single filament lamp, so for the inner high beam (if you want to / have to only have one pair of low beams) H4 are a twin filament lamp so used (in the UK) on the outers for low beam and high beam.

There is always a compromise, if you do a lot of secluded highway driving, you can go with the H1 on the high beam. They are designed for long range.

In my book, one set of H4 for low beam is more than enough. Then again, it depends where you're driving.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!