free hit
counters
99 V8 slow to start when warm (cranks fine) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ESPREE

99 V8 slow to start when warm (cranks fine)

Hi all,

I have a warm-start issue currently (ever since full engine rebuild) on my 1999 V8, wherein it starts right up when cold, runs perfect always, but if I drive it up to normal temperature and shut it off... it usually takes 20-30 seconds to start up again.

It just cranks and cranks, with the occassional putter until it catches. Sometimes it has taken a few minutes worth of intermittent cranking. It took about 15 minutes yesterday and we almost got stuck a few times.

But once it cools down (below 80 degrees or so) it starts right up again.

I'm bringing it back to the rebuild mechanic soon (and I'm sure he'll probably get it resolved), but any info would be nice so that I can order any parts or at least have an idea of what I'm up against.

Engine is stock except for new K&N filters and HKS blow-off valves. Not sure if either of those could cause this problem. New high-flow radiator too.

No error codes, and the temperature reads ok on the dash and ODBII scanner, so I don't know if could still be a temperature sensor.

Others have mentioned fuel injectors, but the mechanic said they were in fine shape and doesn't think the issue is there. The issue comes up even when you turn the engine off and try to re-start it immediately, so I tend to agree that a leaky injector would take more time than that to cause a problem.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

have you testet the fuel-pressure during 'hot start' ..?

You can fit a pressure tester directly to the RH fuel-rail ..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Gunter,

Thanks - we can try that. Is there a "normal" pressure number that we should be looking for, or is it just that the number we see should stay consistent after the engine is shut off and then restarted?