free hit
counters
Restoring my 502 Elite - Page 10 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
esprit s2

Restoring my 502 Elite

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Am fitting the screen and side glass this week.

A little confused about the spacers that SJ supplied me. Any one fitted the glass to their cars?

The spacers are usually blocks of hard rubber used to position the glass correctly.

The idea is that they are placed at the base of the glass whilst the compound that bonds the glass cures. They are left insitu.

I am unsure of the bonding method that SJ use compared to the original but the spacer principle is the same.

On my car the spacer fitted at the bottom of the windscreen.

The first time my screen was replaced the fitter didn't use the spacer. At first everything was fine, but over the next couple of years the screen gradually slid down until there was a gap at the top that leaked. I had to have the screen removed, which of course got damaged, and replaced with a new one.

Edited by TonyPoll

Thanks Tony.

Does anyone know if i have to fit the gutter before i fit the side glass or after? Seems to me that once the glass is in it would be hard to rivet the rain gutter on.

When I restored my Elite, I took out the side glass but didn't take off, the rain gutter, so now you know that you can put the window in after the rain gutter is installed. so you are correct, gutter goes on first.

Richard

You've perhaps had your hands full but how are you getting on with it?

Time has come to sell the Elite. I'll of course be putting adverts on Lotusforsale and a couple of other websites. 

Just a heads up if anyone is interested on here first. 

Paul.

IMG-20190525-WA0001.jpeg

Lovely job. where did you get the airbox insulation layer, and the trunking

Any references would be a help

goodluck with the sale

Neil

5 hours ago, esprit s2 said:

Time has come to sell the Elite.

Boo! What's next mate?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

What a shame you're selling. Anyone who visited our display at Castle Combe a few weeks ago will have seen what a fantastic restoration job has been done on this car, so get in quick with your offers!

Cheers, Richard