free hit
counters
Restoring my 502 Elite - Page 7 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
esprit s2

Restoring my 502 Elite

Just washers, they are added around the window frame fixing points, very easy to forget how many went this side/that side etc. and critical to get a good seal afterwards. There is a recent thread on here just about window sealing with a lot better advice than I can give.

I don't know if you can ever achieve a better seal that the factory, but don't bother putting the door trims etc back on until you are sure the frame makes good contact with the door seal or wind noise will be terrible.

PS Sounds like yours will be one of the best on the road by the end of this journey, hope old Albert is still around to see it!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Really coming together now, love the original colour, can't wait to see this in the Sun! 

What's The Sun got to do with this - have they hacked your phone now!

• Like 1

Great meeting you today Mike and I hope the dash helps with your project. I suppose you were expecting Michael Caine, however I would have thought more like Bob Hoskins! All the best, Charlie ;-)

PS. Love the insight btw, very cool.

Wasn't it booked in for August? it's looking really good now and I guess it won't be long until it's all painted.  

I hope you don't mind me asking but I have a few questions since I'm getting to this point... I see you've stripped the paint back to the gel coat - I guess this is due to cracks in the paint only? How many cracks have you had to fix in to gel coat itself or was removing the paint enough? And do you any tips on repairing these cracks? My searching of the interweb has revealed many ways of doing it but how many are tried and tested?

finally is this a picture at the body shop - couldn't help but notice the x2 esprits

@Mike, don't know if you ever saw the corvette they did on wheeler dealers recently, they stripped the paint back to the grp then using literally 'carbon fiber' filler (wouldn't know where you would get it from and I expect it ain't cheap) but they reckon cracks will never return using this stuff. Might be worth looking into?

http://westfield-world.com/Fibreglass.pdf. Have a look at this if you have not seen it already I believe it is by Miles Wilkins of Fibreglass services

Regards Dan

The article is very informative although others better qualified than me say it is a little dated. I think procedures have moved on a little.

I would like to get hold of the original book for more detail.

Ebay sellars are listing them at hundreds of pounds for a secondhand £7.50 book. Sort of puts me off.

On the subject of fibreglass repair I have found much more up to date info on You Tube with regard to boat repair.

I am lucky I live by the coast, most boat chandlers sell the ingredients even how to books.

It will look fab when polished and with the shiney stuff added. Did you ever get the Bell and Coalville sticker remade?

I didn't. I forgot all about it to be honest.

I have loads of photos of it so I could still get something made up.

Still don't know what to do with my shiny bits as they aren't that shiny and a bit pitted. Need to free up a day and go to Lotusbits.

Glad you're sticking with brown, it's a great 70s colour.  And the Guvnor drove one too.

Colin_Chapman_Elite.jpg

That is a fabulous colour. Darker than Sable, Roman Bronze if I am not mistaken. One of my favourites

Hi,

Re the pitted trim pieces, there was a thread on here where someone had found a good place to straighten and another place to re anodise the aluminium. I remember it because it was in Sandhurst..... If you so a search you'll find it. Might be a better option than going for second hand parts if you're going to all the trouble of a full respray.

And i also like the bronze colour.

Mat.

You must be quite excited now Paul, it will be fantastic in the original shade.

Sorry Mark....i haven't gone for the original shade now. I don't know why but i changed my mind at the last minute.

Ohhh. the last minute must mean it's now done? Pics please!

Sorry Mark....i haven't gone for the original shade now. I don't know why but i changed my mind at the last minute.