free hit
counters
Lotus future in the UK - Page 7 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus future in the UK

Same info, just in a different paper. :sleeping:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another article in the Telegraphsaying they've hired KPMG to review their future.

Quite amusing. I think this story first made the rounds about a month ago, but the it was supposedly Ernst & Young. I'm excited to see how many more rounds these rumours will go.

Maybe we should start our own.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Lotus sold to Iceland!!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yup, that's the fellas. They've bought the lot and are relocating the company to the shadow of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My concern is that KPMG are refusing to comment...

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Yup, that's the fellas. They've bought the lot and are relocating the company to the shadow of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

Makes it easier to get the Carbon Grey colour.

Actually lets hope its Luxembourg not Iceland. :smoke:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

It was my understanding that the Icelandic people had little time for spin, talking bollox and spending money on nothing. So its highly unlikely DB will be moving with the company!

Unless, of course you meant Iceland the frozen food shop! They are in Norwich which means he just needs to locate the factory 7 miles to the top of St Stephens....this has the added benefit that whenever anyone asks questions they can disappear easily and with all those freezers, not stink the joint up!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Iceland smyshland. I heard the whole operation is moving to Bora Bora, primarily to design, develop, and test a whole new line of underwater models. It's a DNA thing I'm told.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Getting back to more serious matters.....

Although I knew Gerard Lopez at Genii Capital was a car guy, I had no idea how obsessed he is. His car collection is featured in the new Top Gear (along with a very positive review of the Exige S) and currently numbers 85 and counting. He's got some astonishing motors, many with outstanding provenance. And yes, he does have a JPS Esprit taking pride of place.

It's a romantic notion to have Lotus bought by Genii (and they are taking a look I understand), uniting the engineering and road car operation with the F1 team. With Lopez in charge I reckon tradition and history would get due recognition but the new car programme would get a fighting chance, maybe even under Bahar who he is best mates with.

The problem is Lotus still needs a few hundred million to make it happen and I doubt Genii could raise that kind of cash. If they are to be sold they need a big industrial and/or motor manufacturer to invest. I wonder if Genii could partner with say Tata and sit alongside JLR?

All idle speculation of course. God I wish they would hurry up and put us all out of our misery!!!

Note the 2nd last paragraph,

"And I reiterate that we have not decided on selling Lotus."

It doesn't mean they will or they wont, just not decided yet.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Mark

I'm not sure that the press agency report is 'official' - it's not a press release but simply comments from the MD.

If you accept that what he's saying is correct then DRB-Hicom simply haven't made a decision about Lotus either way.

I may be missing something but it sounds to me as if Richard Bacon is right to be making noises to help protect jobs at Lotus. Reading the piece it looks as if he wasn't wrong about KPMG having been appointed to evaluate a possible sale albeit that it may not have been DRB-Hicom that appointed them.

My sympathies go to all those who work at Lotus - it must be a very unsettling time

I may be missing something but it sounds to me as if Richard Bacon is right to be making noises to help protect jobs at Lotus.

If Mr Bacon really wanted to support the jobs of his constituents he would try and conduct as much of this behind the scenes. What he (and others) are doing is perpetuating an impression of instability at Lotus; that it might not be here in X months time. This doesn't help one bit with Lotus's job of selling cars which ultimately is what they need to do to provide security for their workers.

Mr Bacon seems only to be acting for the benefit of Mr Bacon.

I doubt that any of us here are in a position to know exactly what is or isn't going on behind the scenes.

Further, I suspect that we could argue all day about the merits of 'going public' but personally (if I worked for Lotus) I'd rather he was vocal than silent - it's what he's there to do.

Blimey it wasn't all that long ago that MP's seemed to be doing nothing other than filling in expense forms !!

Sorry Bazza I can't agree. Richard Bacon has made statements in the House of Commons which are factually incorrect. It is absolutely his job to protect his constituents jobs but he needs to be working in close cooperation with both Group Lotus and DRB-Hicom behind the scenes in a calm and professional manner (and get his facts right), not spouting off in public at this delicate time. Representations should be made in the privacy of the Boardroom armed with the correct information.

I agree the guys at Hethel are concerned, but Bacon is not helping matters with his manner. Cameron's statement in the House last week should have been enough and Bacon should have shut up from that point, rather than call for another debate supported by factually incorrect rhetoric. I honestly don't think he is helping the cause at the moment.

Lotus and DRB have now stated, several times that the decision to sell Lotus has not been made. I accept that that does not mean they have decided not to sell Lotus (don't you just love the nuances of the English language) so where does he get off saying Hethel is about to close and get shipped off to China. He even says Youngman is the importer in China - they are not.

DB has updated Autocar today and I can see signs that he and DRB-Hicom are getting a little p***ed off with all the speculation. That's why I think calmer heads should prevail.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262480/

I agree with Mark; Bacon needs to shut up in public at least.

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

If Mr Bacon really wanted to support the jobs of his constituents he would try and conduct as much of this behind the scenes. What he (and others) are doing is perpetuating an impression of instability at Lotus; that it might not be here in X months time. This doesn't help one bit with Lotus's job of selling cars which ultimately is what they need to do to provide security for their workers.

Mr Bacon seems only to be acting for the benefit of Mr Bacon.

I couldn't agree more! He's not doing the work force any favours what so ever.