free hit
counters
Lotus Mountain Bike (from the 90's) - Bike Banter - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

Lotus Mountain Bike (from the 90's)

Back in 93-94 after Chris Boardman broke a world record on a Lotus carbon fibre racing bike, a limited run of mountain bikes were comissioned via British Eagle under licence. This was at the last recession and I was just made redundant at my first place of work for 5 years as a draughtsman. This was my only time out of work and it took me 9 long months to get a job. I had just left my last girlfriend and lost half ownership of our house and had to move back to my mums on a council estate.

To keep me on the right path and keep my little dream alive, I spotted this mountain bike in my local cycle shop, so decided to buy it. I couldn't afford it at the time, so my sister helped me out. She paid for it and I wrote her half a dozen post dated cheques, one month apart. Also my best friend did the same and we actually bought our bikes as a pair in a deal. He only had his for a year and sold his because he needed the money. Luckily I kept hold of mine and I still have it to this day. I haven't seen another one since as most would now be wrecked or painted and junk by now.

It has an aluminium frame (not carbon fibre) and Shimano Deore chainset.

They came in three different models, mine is the lower model LX in British Racing Green, then there was the DX in magenta and the top model was XT in black. The difference was only the colour and chainset.

Here's a few pictures of it.

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

It even came with an owner's manual with Lotus Sport printed on it!

img169.jpg

img170.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got a pic of you riding it in the Donington carpark in 2004 or 2006, when you had the yellow turbo!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Bibs,

You have a good memory, it was 2004 infact ( I had to trawl through old pictures from LEW). Here's a picture from 2004 in the carpark. http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EPictures/donington04_carpark.html

Donington_2004_32.jpg

After this year I used to help out on the PNM stand and it also appeared here on their stand in 2005

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EPictures/donington05.html

Donington05_19.jpg

Oh forgot to say that in the first picture with me riding it in the carpark back in 2004, I had just taken it out of the boot of my Esprit. It was a 1990 carb turbo. How practical is the Esprit now?

I took the wheels off and put them in the front. Took the seat post out and then the rest went into the rear boot after a bit of careful negotiation.

I don't think people believed me until they actually saw me take it out of the boot.

No-one believed you could do a wheelie either :lol:

post-1-0-13956400-1334823016.jpg

post-1-0-30219400-1334823020.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

How did you fit it in the boot of the Esprit? I keep thinking about how i can fit my bike in my Esprit, or make a roof rack that clips in where the removable roof goes...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Hi Travis,

It's a tight fit so not to scratch the frame but it does go in. Wheels off and in the front boot where the spare wheel would go. My seat has a quick release lever so took this off. Then I inserted the bike in with the rear forks to the left so it goes into the left hand side well area. I then think you have to twist the handles bars a bit to get the last bit in.

You might need a bit of padding to prevent your frame being scratched during transit with the boot lip as it's pretty sharp underneath.

My bike is normal/large size (21" frame I think) as I am 6'-3" tall.

If I can find a picture of bike in boot then I'll post it on here.

Regards,

David Walters

I've got a carbon lotus mtb frame for sale,it's in great shape I'm looking to get $250- firm.With no markings I'm not sure what size but I'd say its probably a 19. I've got plenty of pics also,thanks.post-15890-0-70172400-1379769392.jpgpost-15890-0-99824100-1379769559.jpgpost-15890-0-68568600-1379769586.jpg

Hi Rick. Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

If you want to sell the frame, you need to put it up in the FREE Classifieds area. (link at the top of the page) You just need to register yourself and then post your ad up in there. More people will see it that way than hidden in a topic.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

hi,,

I have one. It's a Lotus Elite and was purchased in circa 1983. It was lightly to never used until two years ago when I got more serious. I finally got the stem replaced with a taller one and it's now become my road bike with aero-bars and clip ons. 
Like you, I decided to check the web to see if this was a good bike or not.

Another thing i never knew lotus branded mountain bikes excisted , very cool David and good right up, and good right also , falling on hard times can happen to anyone even to the best of us  :)

A

Those aluminium Lotus mountain bikes were made by British Eagle weren't they? My cousin had one but it got stolen, he was understandably distraught.

I managed to get a couple of Lotus F1 bikes for my kids a while back. However, the ungrateful buggers weren't as impressed with them as i was:lol:....

58d7fd14a07fe_2014-10-3113_31_13.thumb.jpg.dedc76a3e7b5bbe0646fd01f22cd20bb.jpg

• Like 2