free hit
counters
Retrofitting Tech Pack - doable? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TomE

Retrofitting Tech Pack - doable?

Wondering if it is possible to retrofit all elements of the Tech Pack plus the factory reversing camera to a non-Tech car. I've seen the thread about retrofitting the camera so know that's feasible if you've got the Tech Pack already.

I've had conflicting stories: most people say it can't be done but one dealer suggested that if it helped secure a sale on a car I was interested in then they could tackle it. Sounded like it involved removing the dash and some interior trim so wondering if it's something better done back at the factory?

Anyone had any experience of doing it or getting a straight answer from anyone? Would be interested to know who you dealt with and costs quoted.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My previous experience of retro fitting anything like this (not with Lotus I should add) was that it was a nightmare. Non standard parts were used, which basically made the car look like it had been messed with by amateurs rather than being specced that way from new.

If all the wiring is already in place, and it's just a case of changing the Nav, steering wheel and rear bumper / diffuser then it might not be a big job.

I can't comment on how well the dealer in question could do it, but I'd wait for the right spec car instead. What exact spec are you after? Maybe we can keep an eye out for you.

Thanks - good points and exactly why I want to find out if anyone's done it. A few people have added their own double DIN nav and rear camera but that's not quite the same as the full Tech Pack. I'm not sure if the wiring is already there - would help if it was!

I've posted what I'm looking for in Wanted and Evora Chat - keep your eyes peeled :)

Guys, thanks for the suggestions - could you post those over on my thread about looking for a used Evora http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/50355-looking-for-a-used-evora-s/ and keep this one on topic? I've already commented on both those cars to the people that have already posted them ... which is you two!! ;)

Guys, thanks for the suggestions - could you post those over on my thread about looking for a used Evora http://www.thelotusf...a-used-evora-s/ and keep this one on topic? I've already commented on both those cars to the people that have already posted them ... which is you two!! ;)

Just the excitement of you getting an Evora S too. Back to topic....

I think it would be a real hassle adding the pack as asked! I looked into making a 2+0 a 2+2 as I fell for one or two that were only 2+0. In essence the answer is to find one with the right spec and price! Maybe not rocket science!!

"Simplify, then add lightness”

I think you're probably right Rob. Long chat with a dealer today - sales guy and his service manager - about what they can do. Whilst it's possible to add the head unit and camera fairly easily it isn't the full pack. I wonder whether you'd miss the upgraded speakers, amps & subwoofer if you went this route - could be added but starts costing more than the Tech Pack was as an option. I know some people have done a completely new ICE installation but it costs ££s. In the Elise I've only had the stereo on half a dozen times in three years as I usually just listen to the exhaust and supercharger :) I do use my satnav all of the time though, as it has TMC traffic alert plus a speed limit & scamera location warner ;)

I'm less fussed about cruise control and pressure monitors but I do want the parking sensors and reversing camera. It's looking increasingly like I need to hold out for a Tech Pack car. I'd been getting excited because currently there are no suitable Solar Yellow cars on the market but I've just found one that fits my requirements apart from missing the Tech Pack.

Maybe worth getting someone to source it for you - Will B or Scott Walker would be a good shout?

They're already on the case ... plus Jamie at B&C, the chap who looks after the factory managers car scheme and a handful of the main dealers :)

Be careful getting more than one dealer looking for the same car, if they all end up bidding on it the price they pay will be higher - then so will the price you pay!

I use the parking sensors and camera all the time, so they're well worth having if you can find the right car with them. I don't use the cruise control as I don't do motorway miles. I use the TPMS to check everything is OK whenever I feel something unexpected in the handling, so it is useful in that respect.

Thought I needed camera and seem to be happy with just the sensors so far!

Sensors are a €500 job to retrofit. Cruise control €50 parts (or less) plus some labour. And getting a proper headunit costs €800. So for less than half the money you get the tech pack without upgraded speakers / sub, camera and TPM. Have not missed the camera since I've installed the sensors.

TomE, I think you've got the answer but to add my 10p worth it is doable to add the total Tech Pack but a massive job if you want it done to the exact standard - pretty much all the interior plus rear bumper requires removing to replace the speakers and sub, add modules, reversing sensors and camera. The dash also needs to be removed to route the wiring to the headliner of the mic and homelink. Then if you want to go down the cruise control & TPMS (which I want on all my cars now!) route there's a whole load more work, but less removing of panels though.

As i've said on other threads, the Tech Pack is actually pretty good value for money and the sum of it's parts aren't far off it's cost. Second to Sport Pack, a must have. I'd hold out if you can as over 90% of Evoras have it.

Thanks Jimbo that confirms the conclusion I'd reached that whilst it's possible to retrofit it's going to be costly and I'm better off waiting for a suitable car with Tech Pack.

Interesting stats on take up too, as several of the supercharged cars currently advertised don't have Tech Pack and I get the impression many of these are ex factory managers scheme ones. I must be more patient and wait for the right car ... but having made a decision to buy one I keep looking at "nearly right" ones and trying to convince myself I can get one now if I compromise!