free hit
counters
oil filter - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

oil filter

esprit22

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inflation?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It's probably taller then a previous revision, which in turn was a lot shorter than the original. There was a disruption to the supply where they rather quickly went from ones with the part number printed/ painted on to simply being a sticker. I guess they've now settled on a new source of a part that meets the spec.

Since the filter is horizontal you'll struggle to know where it is in the filter as you twist it onto the thread. Non-return valves only work in vertical applications where the thread is lowermost and it helps keep a minimum level of oil in the filter.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Any one used a K&N filter?

There must be another make of filter that is the correct size, or does everyone use the Lotus brand...

I use the K&N exclusively. Great filters and the 1" nut on the back makes it easy to change. They are readily available everywhere for good prices. This is THE oil filter for the 900 series motor. Its even got that anti-drain back thingie.

Get one, use it, you'll love it! Part # HP-1002 :)

Edited by s2mikey

I use the K&N exclusively. Great filters and the 1" nut on the back makes it easy to change. They are readily available everywhere for good prices. This is THE oil filter for the 900 series motor. Its even got that anti-drain back thingie.

Get one, use it, you'll love it! Part # HP-1002 :)

I'm going to buy that filter first thing tomorrow mike, i hope your right man.

Guys,

Been using a Mobil One filter for several years now. Seems to perform well. Bought a couple of Mann filters from a local foreign auto parts store. Found those were the quarter inch "taller" described by the original poster. Double checked the listing. It said S1 Esprit.

Lyn

I'm going to buy that filter first thing tomorrow mike, i hope your right man.

Its a good choice. My Esprit Turbo has been being run with those for like 10 years now. Runs like a top. Its hard to quantify the actual performance of an oil filter but the oil stays pretty clean between my frequent changes so who knows if thats a gauge or not? The quality is also consistent and they are easy to get.

Wanna know whats crazy? This particular filter also fits some Lawnmowers and big tractors.... :gathering:

What a foul thing that FRAM filter is....well done, Scott, for posting that...blokes a pretty good shot, too!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

So the K&N filter will fit in without hitting the starter motor? (unlike the now taller Lotus ones)

Just checked this out on Opie Oils site and they recommend the HP-2004, looks the same, maybe a new type...

Edited by esprit22

A mod worth doing is to duck tape a bar magnet to the bottom of the filter after fitting so that any ferrous particles that enter are trapped even if they're small enough to pass through the filter membrane.

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

So the K&N filter will fit in without hitting the starter motor? (unlike the now taller Lotus ones)

Just checked this out on Opie Oils site and they recommend the HP-2004, looks the same, maybe a new type...

Hmmm - mine say HP-1002. They fit perfectly without getting near the starter motor. Not sure about the HP 2004....????

This thread comes a few months late, I hesitated between the original and the K&N and got really frustrated when I installed the Lotus one...just too tight to install it without scratching it...

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

2004 is larger in diameter and height (or length in the position on a Lotus engine), the pressure valve is higher on the 2004, but both have the same thread and I guess the same rubber ring diameter. So both physically fit.

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-1002

Vs

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2004