free hit
counters
Newbie seeking advice - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Newbie seeking advice

Morning all,

Am looking at buying a used Evora in the next couple of weeks.

Was just wondering what people thought was the best option.

1) Evora 3.5 with IPS and rear seats

2) Evora S with manual , but without rear seats

Will be driving a couple of miles through town to and from work daily, but live in the countryside so lots of good B roads when not at work.

Do the rear seats make much difference come resale time ?

Is the IPS liked or loathed ?

Budget is maximum of £40,000, but obviously less is best !!!

Lastly, i have the opportunity to buy it through my compnay and have it as a company car, but will then have to pay the Benefit In Kind - based on a purchase price of about £40,000 - does anyone know if it is better to buy it myself or let the company buy it and pay the BIK ?

Lots of questions i know, but many thanks in advance for any answers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TLF! :welcome:

Have a read through these for some pro's/cons - http://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/lotus-evora-long-term-test/

The 2 options are odd to be fair, the gearbox/supercharger/seats aren't concurrent with each other or are there just 2 cars you've got your eye on? Over 90% of cars have rear seats, they're pretty much essential for resale I'd say as most people expect and want them, they are useable for various jobs including being seats and also for luggage as per the +0 bench.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Personally I think I'd buy a manual, with rear seats. Either the NA or S.

I can't see the reason for not wanting rear seats, ok they are useless, but they are not nearly as useless as NO rear seats!

I think I'd plump for an NA, and spend the remaining 5-8k on a holiday, or three!

Welcome to TLF Steven. :welcome:

You should also drop over to the introductions thread and post in there to say hi.

Any questions, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Many thanks for your replies.

Am tempted to go for a NA 2+2 with IPS gearbox, mainly because have read/heard about the manual gearbox not being easiest shifting box around - or is this not the case ?. Will be looking at a 2011 model.

Don't think i will go for an S - like Justin said 5-8 K is a lot of difference. Will certainly help towards the running costs.

Have used the comcar website which calculate Benefit In Kind, but obviouslty the biggest potential cost is depreciation - which is very hard to predict. If i buy a £40,000 2011 Evora +2 NA now, and in 3 years look to sell it with less that 20,000 miles on the clock, i reckon i would get about £20,000 - does this seem realistic or hopefully pessimistic ?

Steve

Edited by munkyelise

The most expensive part of running the Evora is the tyre cost. The servicing and petrol are very reasonable IMO.

Nobody can predict depreciation, but being brutally honest, its bound to go down over time. Personally I think they will settle around 25-30k. Exiges seem to have settled at 18-25k depending on spec, and I think the Evora will sit slightly higher due to less of them, and with it being a more rounded car. Just my opinion.

As for the gearbox, I have not driven an NA IPS, but I have driven the SC IPS which when pressing on was great, but when tootling around town I found it changing gear too often, when not required. However I was told it adjusts to your driving style.

Drive both and see what you like.

Gearbox improves a lot with new cables (some get them on guarantee...), mine is now wonderful and was a pain before. S over N/A, no big difference if any on B roads, but big difference on the Autobahn and track. Also very torquey. And IPS - for technical reasons -is rev-limited 400 revs below the S gearbox's limit. +2 is useless unless you have young kids. I'm glad I've a 2+0, very usable for luggage.

Just my 2 cents....

Sven

Go with the 2 + 2 NA IPS. I have that config and I've used the back seat to ferry nieces around on two occasions now, and at other times it held a large suitcase perfectly. The IPS is bloody fantastic and reports around the place talk about better acceleration from an NA IPS versus a manual S; I can vouch for the fact that the car has more than enough power after fitting the Radium CAI and Lotus factory sports exhaust. Also keep in mind that without all that SC gubbins the NA weighs almost 100kg less, particularly if you fit the Radium CAI and pull out that heavy stock air intake.

There are no issues tootling around town with the IPS, just keep it in normal mode then. However for spirited driving I use the Sports mode exclusively.

Finally I am perplexed by reports of excessive tyre wear. After 8,000km which includes some very hard work on lots of twisty roads, my Pirellis look pristine and in showroom condition. Maybe the UK B and C roads are just horribly bad?

Edited by koorby

Finally I am perplexed by reports of excessive tyre wear. After 8,000km which includes some very hard work on lots of twisty roads, my Pirellis look pristine and in showroom condition. Maybe the UK B and C roads are just horribly bad?

Are you on 18"/19" or 19"/20" wheels?

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Don't forget the BIK tax will be based on the P111D of the car when new which includes the cost of all the options factory fitted, being secondhand and £40,000 now doesn't mean a thing to the taxman. I would have thought it would be better if you can get a car allowance built into your salary instead.

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

I'd go for an ips as there have been issues with clutches on the manual ones and there can be clutch chatter which does my head in after the cars warmed up.

Ps: I've the latest gear cables done under warranty.....massive improvement :-) 60% better but no disguising the long throw action

As has been said on many occassions before, but it all depends on what you want and how you will use it. I started with a LE car 2+2 LR box and am now in a later car 2+0 with CR box.

Back seats IMO are a complete farce and only for marketing, as the age group we are at with kids grown up and driving themselves. Used once in 2-1/2 years more as an experiment and could have avoided it even then. Seats marked easily with cases (Oyster car) and were not restrained particularly well if that is a concern. The 2+0 is better for what I use the car for. It would also stop car mags complaining the seat is useless and not consider it for luggage becuase presented as a seat. Yet when 2+0 they compare to Cayman and say it is similar capacity storage. Lack of seats hasn't harmed Cayman.

Regards resale I can't say I'd noticed having them made deal easier or not when i changed but the proof will be selling new car which had sat for a while before I bought it. Was that the spec or the colour or the market? Who knows! I will say however the dealer originally did say to me, well before car launch remember, that the rear seats will be an extra that will not plummet in add on value like most. Having said that unlike Porsche the way Lotus add packs is different so I am not sure you can compare so directly. All this before car launched and prices fully known!

CR Vs LR box. I like both at different times. I like the back road blast in the CR box but don't like the higher revs and noise at m'way cruise having got used to LR box for 2-1/2 years. It isn't bad, just different and probably harms fuel consumptiion but you don't buy these cars to consider that. As even 6th is not used for acceleration during a blast in CR box to me the ideal would be the bottom 5 gears of CR box and then a very long 6th from LR box for the relaxed cruise/fuel consumption. A bit like old overdrive used to do on Triumphs (showing my age but a 2000TC was the first car of Dad's that I got to drive at 17) If you will not be tracking or frequent blasts I'd say there is very little in it especially as 1st/2nd are identical.

Manual Vs IPS. Go for the IPS unless you are a manual fanatic as it is the WORST thing about the car. I had all the adjustments and cables changed etc. and it improved, but as above never great. Also do not base manual box smoothness decision on one car. I have driven 2 long term and a couple of others and every one different. Present car is the best I have had and it has the uprated nwer cables since I bought it. Base your decision on the car you consider and try and get a drive in it stone cold rather than dealer pre-warmed up oils......

S Vs NA. Can't say for sure but on earlier S's driven (Pre MY12 cars) I wasn't impressed enough to want to spend the extra at new prices. Obviously more is always nice, but is it essential? No. A well driven NA will not be left wanting at any time apart from in specific tests like pulling away at 60 in 6th or something.

Whatever you end up with you will enjoy the driving experience though!!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

@al

Nice review:-) covers all the main points:-) only had my car a short time but I'm in agreement. Only thing I'll say is the new exige is based on the supercharged powertrain of the evora s. So I suspect there will be more support in terms of aftermarket mods in the future for supercharged evoras. Currently it's the other way arround with hardly any aftermarket mods for the supercharged evora

As owner of a Launchedition (which was critisized so much) and driven now 53000 KM, I can not complain about anything. The gearchange could be better, but is far away from "has to be replaced". The 2+2 I use often (my son lies sideways in the back); the S is an option, but the normal one with the Radium CAI gets nearby. I have the normal gearbox and I am ok with it. So it depends, how you drive and for what puropse. I use the car dayli for any occasion and I am totally happy with it.

Another point I'd like to make is that theres nearly 10k between the price of a n/a and supercharged evora...I'd rather buy a used Elise for some top down fun than pay the 10k diff:-) but that's just me:-)

Not only you. I have already discussed this very scenario with MMC......

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Another point I'd like to make is that theres nearly 10k between the price of a n/a and supercharged evora...I'd rather buy a used Elise for some top down fun than pay the 10k diff:-) but that's just me:-)

I beg to differ. List price difference between NA and S with otherwise identical spec was roughly £6500 for MY11 and is £7800 for MY12 - you've got to factor in Sport Pack and CR box being standard on the S.

And when you look at used prices and compare similar age & spec you'll find the gap narrows. Both cars depreciate at the same rate so for example at roughly a year old and worth 70% of list they'll only be about £4500 apart. I think people's perception could be skewed if you're looking at the moment, as there are mostly 2010 NAs being advertised currently whereas all the Ss are 2011 apart from a few Dec 2010 ones.

Personally I'm going for a manual S 2+2 MY11 but agree the IPS on an NA would be a good choice too.

I would say it depends on your intents. If you're looking for the top performer you just have to take the S, if you spend your time in traffic, or on the boardwalk take the N/A. But then, you could just as well the a Boxster.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Many thanks for all your replies.

Funny that you should mention the Boxster TBD. I have just come out of a 987 Boxster, having previoulsy ownde one of the first S2 Elises. Anyway, i ordered the Porsche from the dealer when the 987 model was lauched in 2005, waited patiently, paid full price of course !!, had it serviced at the main Porsche dealer, kept it nearly 7 years, because i did so few miles, and was considering trading it in against a new Boxster, when the engine warning light came on. Get the car collected and taken in to the dealer, who tells me the timing belt was broken, massive damage caused, and that a replacement engine will be £11,000 !!!. I ask him what the car will be owrth as a trade in if i get it repaired, and he says £12,500. Phoned Porsche UK, explained the situation and told htem the car had ONLY COVERED 19,000 miles from new, and that i didn't expect to be replacing a Porsche engine at that mileage irrespective of the age of hte car, and they offered me ..... NOTHING.So i told them not to repair it, and sold it as seen to someone looking for a project.

So, that's the 1st, and last Porsche i will ever own.

My previous experience with Lotus was 1,000,000 better. I ordered my S2 Elise on the 11/11/2001 i think, at Cambridge Cars, funnily enough, located in Cambridge, paid a deposit (£2000), and sat back to wait for delivery. Between paying deposit (cheque) and delivery date, Cambridge Cars went bust - and of course they hadn't forwarded any deposits on to Lotus, although they had git a build slot for it. Phoned Lotus, thinking that that was the last i would ever see of that £2,000, and got a call back from Ali Ansar, who sazid Lotus would knock the £2,000 off thelist price of the car provided i collected it from one of 3 or 4 specified dealers ( i chose Bell & Coville). Now that is what i call customer service. Hence why i am now coming back.

Have looked at the Benefit in Kind (BIK) for the 2+2 IPS, and it's about £7,500 a year - question is will a £40,000, one year old, 9,000 mile old IPS 2+2 still be worth £25,000 in 2 years time with 17,000 miles on the clock ? Any bold predictions out there ???

If so, will buy it with my own money, just to spite HMRC !!!!

@TomE

Well LE cars are low 30s and the newer supercharged ones are low 40s. Yes I'm not comparing similiar year of manufacture....but it's such a new car and most have not done massive miles so I wouldn't b fussed. Just saying I'd buy an early LE and buy an Elise in the winter or maybe even a turbo vx220. Now only if I had that kinda spare money:-(