free hit
counters
Hello From Malvern - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hello one and all

As yet I don't have a Lotus in my garage but I am on the lookout for an Excel

The last lotus I owned was a Europa in the 70s when I was a tad younger, I have a healthy interest in classic cars and mostly British, I currently have two and my wife has one.

Just recently I have been finding my thoughts wandering to owning an Excel and having spoken to my brother who owned one for a while I am now convinced that I should get one.

I know very little about the excel, but I do want a galvanised chassis which I am told the Excel has and after that who knows

I will now be searching the mags and the Internet and see what pops up, in the meantime if anyone here can offer any advise or knows of a sound car at a value for money price please let me know.

Michael

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michael and welcome to TLF. :welcome:

Best of luck on the search. Have you clicked on the link at the top of the page to The Classifieds. There is all sorts in there. Don't know if there is an Excel at the moment, but you never know.

Anyway, any questions, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

Michael

ps. Great name!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Welcome to TLF :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi And welcome! If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask a moderator. Malvern hey? I stay quite regularly at the Talbot in Knightswick, not too far from you!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi.

Yes, all will have galvanised chassis form new, after that you probably can whittle things down a lot more. I'd suggest you consider the following, post up and you may find somebody can match or come close.

Auto / manual/ not fussy. Autos are fine so don't rule them out as slow.

Colour, bright red looks great but can fade to pink as with all cars, just the plastic body means you don't get rust so many cars have not had a respray by the time metal bodied cars would have had a respray. Personally I like the metallic blue best but have a look and decide a few colours you'd like (if you set your heart on one colour you may have to compromise on other items).

Body. The body switched part way through production to the "wide body" which is the same size but has flared rear arches and bigger flares on the fronts, along with other changes. All SE and SA should be this type but so will some of the other cars. Some prefer the earlier cleaner shape, some prefer the tweaks applied. Personally , wide body.

Engine, it's either 160 or 180BHP, SE and SA are 180, others are 160. The 20 HP is nice to have but the 160 isn't sluggish and unless you really 2need" that extra, don't rule out a 160 BHP car.

Trim, leather or part leather. Leather is the higher spec but sitting on a hot leather seat when the sun has been beating down on it in mid summer is not nice, cloth (tweed) is a lot more comfortable in the heat of summer or cold of winter.

Now the big one. Project considered or "I want a car that looks and runs like it just left the showroom"? I'd suggest unless you want to pay lots of money the latter will be out, but the scale of the "project" can vary from it being a perfectly usable car with a few stone chips and a bit of leather renovator to a lot of work.

Many jobs that would put people off are actually not complicated or not costly if you have them done for you. a drooping headlining looks awful but can be done by yourself using a sewing machine a bit of glue and £0-£40 of material. So give an idea of whether you are prepared to consider a car that would benefit form work and what type, i.e. mechanical, body, interior.

I know in a few days Fitz's car is up for auction but it's in Norfolk. It's a bright red SE with leather, not perfect but good overall condition. I'd say it's fair money for what he advertised it at, so you could use that as a guide for how much to expect to pay, better car = more money.

Now the main points

Have fun in finding the right car, don't feel you have to purchase the first car you view, in fact go and view the cars closest to you even if they don't tick the right boxes, they may suit better than what you thought you wanted. When you see a car in the flesh you may find it's colour looks great, better than in pics (or vice versa).

TCS Europa owner (but not driver for several years).

Andy

Thank you all for the welcome and all the info Andy, Had Fitz's car not been going to auction in Norfolk it may have been worth a go but Norfolk is such long way I will look more local first.

I think body condition is king for me as mechanicals can always be replaced but bodywork is not my thing.

I will scan the Internet this weekend and see what grabs me.

thanks again