free hit
counters
Brit in Germany drives Brit, in Germany - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brit in Germany drives Brit, in Germany

Hi all,

This is my first post ever in a forum so do excuse my ignorance of netiquette.

After years of longing to buy an Elise I recently took an extended test drive in a 2012 CR. Great fun to drive, great to admire from a cafe, if not only to see the passers by dribbling on the paintwork. I could picture it parked in my garage parking space, much to the envy of my neighbours. Then i remembered one thing, that I live in Germany, a country so perfectly regulated that Jack Frost needs permission to let the snow fall. but this permission he gets, without fail, every winter. And there was the catch. Winter. I imagine that driving an Elise in Winter is like trying to climb up the outside of a skyscraper wearing gloves made of butter.

So I bought an Evora.

Now there's a 2011 IPS parked in the underground garage and the neighbours assume I have either won the lottery or am running a house of ill repute. Turns out I paid 150.000EUR for it! According to one neighbour. I live in Leipzig Grmany, a former East German city with half a million inhabitants, a museum for JS Bach, a Porsche plant where the Cayenne is produced, a BMW plant where 450 1series cars are produced every day, and home to ONE Evora. I won't lie, I think it quite cool to be the owner of such a rarity. But in a place of such envy I find myself parking around the corner from my office as not to provoke the looks of scorn from certain clients. Can this be normal?

Nevertheless, I'm glad i didnt buy a similar priced Audi to blend in with the suburban middle class. I would rather drive masked through the streets in my 150 grand lotto winning pimp mobile, because it's just the perfect car! Hand-made by people who aren't CNC programmed, a car that is greater than the sum of it parts. A few weeks ago I drove a GT3 Porsche, with engineering so good it makes the driver seem redundant, with the Evora I feel like the driver is the final element that joins all the dots together. Just wonderful!

So hello from me, I happy to be part of the club. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

Regards, Ian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great first post Ian!

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

As far as your netiquette goes, you just passed with flying colours. :thumbsup:

Post some pics of your car up in the garage section or here as many will always want to see another car. I am sure there are other members in Germany also.

Other than that, any questions, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Welcome to TLF. Ace cars aren't they, you're right about wanting to enjoy the drive rather than be a high speed passenger :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ian, I wish you a lot of enjoyable kms!

When I bought an Elise about 12 years ago, I was only 23 years old... I became instantaneously a drug dealer... some people who I passed like every morning going to work, acted as if they didn't know me any more. I felt gutted. Excited about my new car, but so disppointed about the reactions I got from a lot of people... Some co-workers are still soo jealous after 12 years, can you believe that? I got a lot of comments and try to hive stuff now... So I bought an Esprit some years later... I honestly don't dare to tell that to any one any more... I had to drive her 2 times to work and I parked it at the parking lot of the company next to our company, went to work early and left after any one else left... So I understand what you are going through! Good luck!

By the way; a collague of mine bought a kitchen for almost 50k euro, he showed us all the bill, yet everyone thinks he is normal, buying an Elise worth half that money makes you insane or a drug dealer..

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!