free hit
counters
P0133 & P0153 errors with Set MIL on, Why Me? MARCUS! - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

P0133 & P0153 errors with Set MIL on, Why Me? MARCUS!

WEllison

Both errors started at the same time. OK maybe bad gas contamination, reset ECU, new pre CAT 02 sensors from JAE, fresh fill with premuim, run drive cycle, set MIL again, same error codes. But, switching times reported by my scanner show as passed with 0.45 and 0.62 seconds rich-lean and lean-rich. No changes to engine no other parts swapped in/out. I am hoping someone like Marcus may have seen this before. All other PIDs returned look normal. Something strange is going on. The switching waveform using Peters software looks more like a triange wave than a square wave but I have not used Peters software before, I normally use ODB-2.com's Vechicle Explorer.

The Older I get the Faster I was

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the wiring/cable from the sensor plug upwarts to the engine harnes is intact ??

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Gunter,

I think so, but I have to remove the trunk (boot) insert to verify tthe harness is ok. The O2 heater readiness test passes , so the sensors are switching and the system goes into closed loop for both sensors so the ECU is using the O2 sensors to control the fuel mixture. The ECU goes into open loop on full throttle and on decel, so I think the wires are intact. I have some octane booster coming to add to the tank to see if that cures it, to eliminate "bad gas", or not! With new O2 sensors I am running out of ideas.

thanks Gunter

Edited by WEllison

so you have allready played around with switching front to rear to see the change in the signal level (aka 'catalyst is working') ?

Or is the signal from 'pre' and 'post' sensors allways the same on your car

what does the term 'bad gas' mean in your region of the world ?

-as far as I know you have some lower rated fuels (lower octane classification) ..but it is still 'clean' and not contaminated with lead .

..if the fuel is allready contaminated I could imagine that this influences the reaction time/abiity of the O2 sensors -in relation to the actual running temperature of the exhaust.

Higher octane rating does not clear a problem with contaminated fuel -how should it ??

Edited by Günter

Gunter,

I replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors with new ones, same error. By "bad gas" I'm thinking water in the gas from the station. I was just hoping the octane booster may offset the water in the gas, it is just a "shot in the dark". I have removed the plenum and found a fairly heavy oil film coating the intake passages on both sides, so I think I may have a turbo seal begining to leak. This maybe the real problem!

As for the O2-sensors: ..the signal line up to the ECM is intact, there are no short-cuts or corroded contacts who could give maybe give false results ..even if you fit those new sensors on the end of the wiring ..?

On the oil: ..increase in blow-by contaminating the emission results/ cover up the O2sensor active-elents , I would also consider to look into the aircleaner boxes, not only the turbo duct -do you have the crankase breather pipe vented as factory fitted, or with 'open ports' ?

...mentioned that you'r car sees a trackday often -could be some wear in generall ..is the mileage you have there average for a real used one, or more that of a 'sunday drive' car ?

(my car prior to the last rebuild on the belt fail was running with this 'oversize liners' ,as you may recon from the rebuild story -and the engine was running without notable loss in power, just a little more of oilmist in the aircleaner boxes and on loadchanges comming from the exhaust)

sidenote* ..if you have problems with water, or suspicious gas stations -use high concentrated Ethanol to mix up with your fuel in the tank. Think 1L (as over here) or a gallon (3.05L ?) from a grocery store/supermarket in the camping/citchen departement would cost less per volume than any 'octane booster' magic toy from a gas station shop :D

Edited by Günter

Hi Gunter,

O2 wires are fine as I can monitor the switching times with my PC via software. I've also verified the crancase vent system is open for both paths, and the check valve in the small line to the plenum chamber is working fine. No oil on the air filters, so no oil back up the air intake path. Plenum now back on. Should fire the engine today and try the octane booster. There's probably and turbo rebuild in my future.

Thanks

Edited by WEllison

good luck !

..at least turbos can be seen as a easy fix up ..as long as you can reuse the turbine housings and just need to replace the central section

• 4 weeks later...

I think I will call this one bad gas! Even though I still had the problem after several fill ups. I recently filled the tank with 91 octane premium, my normal gas, and added a 32 OZ can of Torco Accelerator octane booster. No more errors even with a 1/2 tank of refill with just premium? Who knows?