free hit
counters
V6 Exige S TLF Driven Test - corners? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

V6 Exige S TLF Driven Test - corners?

Just been looking at the Cup 260 Hethel lap comparison chart in this test report, now sent out by email.

What about the speeds in corners in comparison to the Cup 260? Excepting Graham Hill and Andretti with their reversed 10 mph differences - something strange there, never been on the new circuit so no ideas - the corner speeds are identical or only 1-2 mph higher than the Cup achieves. And that's with the improved chassis, race kit, magic electronics and super special tyres. Don't want to be negative, but any thoughts? Of course it slays the Cup where power counts, but ...............

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For clarity

Clipboard01.jpg

The new car seems faster around all the corners to me?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes indeed, shorter intervals for decel in and accel out to a given speed, so overall faster yes, but it was the similarity in the lowest speeds that struck me, i.e. the max grip level achieved.

I see what you mean, the corner speeds are pretty similar. I'll ask the clever dynamics chaps why :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I suspect it's the price of being a little heavier, I'm an expert in that sector before anyone cares to comment :-)

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Both the Exige Cup 260 and new Exige S are fitted with road legal semi-slick tyres, Yokohama AO48s and Pirelli PZero Trofeo respectively. As these are track focussed performance tyres, each tyre will help generate a similar lateral acceleration during low speed steady state cornering as highlighted at Andretti and Rindt Hairpin. This is the reason for the similar corner speed.

As an aside, the Andretti corner label relates to where the traces reach 40mph, slightly misleading on the chart – between Graham Hill and Andretti is a sweeping corner where we see a 12mph higher speed on Exige S! During transient and mid-to-high speed cornering, the aero balance and dynamic improvements on Exige S give us higher lateral accelerations/cornering speeds such as shown through Windsock (6mph increase). Our race mode controls the rear axle slip, maximising traction and allows the driver to get on the throttle sooner. This, along with the engine performance, is the reason our corner exit accelerations are improved.

Also to bare in mind is that the Exige Cup 260 was a track focused car, we have achieved better results with the Exige S which has improved road behaviour for everyday use!

Evora NA

Thank you for getting hold of that explanation Bibs. It shines a little light on the huge complexities of chassis engineering and real life dynamics. (Many years ago, more from enthusiasm than expertise, I wrote a few articles for a club mag under the title "Slide Rule Rallying" (a primitive sort of calculator for the youngsters here!) in which I came to the conclusion: "tune the chassis before the engine".)

As I read it, the absolute basics here are a) that the maximum grip at the peak lateral force is down to the tyres, and the AO48 and Trofeo are very similar in "stickiness" and b) that the Exige S has not been honed to quite such a degree of track focus as the Cup 260 was in order to make it more usable on the road. Despite that, the overall dynamics - and of course the power - makes it clearly faster on the track. Through the corners - as you pointed out - as well as on the straights.

Edited by mdavies