free hit
counters
Scotland Trip - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Scotland Trip

Hello!

I have just returned from 2000mile round trip of Scoltand over four days and the roads were simply amazing! No traffic and beautiful scenery. I can see why petrolheads go on about "driving in Scotland".

My GT3 (who was nicknamed "Princess" by my travelling companion) was such an easy car to tour with and I felt so silly not to have taken another friends' advice on driving upto Scotland.

I started in Surrey, and headed up to Glasgow. The next day we drove through the Grampian Highlands to Inverness and stayed on the non-tourist side of Loch Ness. We then drove up the East Coast and then travelled round to the North Coast to stay at "Tongue". Ben Loyal and Ben Hope were amazing. We stayed overnight there.

I then drove to Durness, and down Ullapool and then to Torridon where we stayed overnight. The last day was spent heading back to Glasgow and then back to London.

I would be interested in knowing which parts of Scotland other Esprit drivers have found to be great, because it is so beautful to drive through (when the weather is good!).

If anyone has not ventured up there I would encourage you to do it! The driving experience was pure and magical.

Mark.

post-239-1153313555.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had a drive up to East fortune air museum from Kelso A 68? last feb, not in my Esprit but wished I was, superb road.. want to go back sometime with the Esprit

Edited by esprit350

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Loch Lomond to Fort William, then to Inverness, back to Fort William down the other side of Loch Ness. Stunning roads, no traffic............just a pain having to travel through England to get there

Graham

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Howard - East Fortune good, A68 excellent - just avoid the speed cameras on the A1! I used to do many trips there in my Excel.

If anyone is visiting the area, make sure you call in at the Jim Clarke museum at Duns - very evocative. The A6112 from Duns to Grantshouse is an amazing road - low speed/high speed bends/ dips/ long straights and no other traffic. You soon appreciate how Jim managed to hone his skills.

Cool - going to do the Cornwall run in a few weeks hopefully (after a service).

I'm only 30 miles shy of Dover and my aunt lives in the toe of cornwall so it's quite a run - really loking forward to it.

FOr me the Esprit is the perfect car, I wouldn't dream of taking the other 3 cars I have access to here over it - cruising at 100+ the car is so calm, relaxing and easy to drive (until you hit speed camera land !).

Try and get some pics for that if I can but probably head down there in the very early morning so who knows - love to get a shot of it next to stone henge.

facebook = [email protected]

The fence will probably be a problem!

There are some amazing roads in Cornwall, have fun :(

I used to live in Helensburgh and my Mum owns a hotel up there still. I didn't take the Esprit but drove up then in the V8 X5 once and headed off to Loch Lomond a few miles away to test it's off road abilities. It was shit, completely useless! I nearly got stuck in the lightest of fields on a tiny slope!

There were some beautful, wide, good condition and breathtaking roads up there. Must take the Esprit once it's working and back on the road again one day :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Loch Lomond to Fort William, then to Inverness, back to Fort William down the other side of Loch Ness. Stunning roads, no traffic............just a pain having to travel through England to get there

Graham

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Loch Lomond to Fort William did Easter 05. Couldn't believe the amount of Bikes on that streatch of road - Obviously not just good for cars

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

I love driving in Scotland too, my favourite is the A82 Tarbet/Loch Lomond stretch. Sit by the pub for a short while until there is no traffic in front and go for it. There's trees on your right to stop you from going into the loch :o! It's no fun if there's something in front as overtaking can be almost impossible it's so tight and twisty, plus tourists drive too slow looking at the scenery!

Here's a picture of Glen Coe in case you were driving to fast to appreciate it!

glen_coe_01.jpg

An obligatory shot of the Esprit in Glen Etive:

glen_coe_02.jpg

I'll be going up to Scotland as soon as I get a new fuel tank in and some other jobs sorted. I'll be on almost the same route as you Mark, I especially want to get to Durness in the Esprit for some nice fresh images.

Signature not working...

Thought of jumping the fence....then again last time I tried that in an Esprit it didn't quite work out.

Gonna try and hop down there and get some sight seeing in with the car, Guildford Cathedral, Avebury, Stone Henge, Bristol (big brunnel fan), Seven bridge that sort of thing....see how it goes, should be a fun road trip as long as the car holds out hehe (should do, never really let me down before apart from the alarm)

facebook = [email protected]

anyone travelling up to scotland should drop by as I'm only jst outside Stirling so pretty close to the major roads. Stop off, have a cup of tea, quick tour of the race project etc etc.

If you find yourself up the A9 then take a detour along the side of Loch Tay - cracking 2nd-4th gear stuff all along the way. Better than the side of Loch Ness imho albeit shorter. A7 is a cracking little road if you like twisties and if you're in the North East then take the B road from Keith to Granton on Spey which will also allow you to drop back ont the A9 - awesome little road - best I've found yet.

For many tho the big speeds possible through GlenCoe are breathtaking - you can go 2-up on both lanes and keep it planted for a mile or so - such is the clear view ahead.

If you're over by Callander then head up the Dukes Pass - head for Aberfeldy.

On the west side - head for Killin.. very nice roads right up the side of the lochs.

If you really want to make a trip of it - head to Skye - the roads get steadily better and quieter - for jsut A road blasting the A9 provides a lot of stops offs ont the way up to Inverness, by which point you're still hundreds of miles south from the northern most tip of Scotland.

Re' East Fortune - used to be track days there - if they start back up I'll let you know.. details here: www.javelin-trackdays.co.uk

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Gonna try and hop down there and get some sight seeing in with the car, Guildford Cathedral,

You actually want to see the cathedral? It's a monstrosity in brick! Looks okay at night though and the approach road is always good if you've watched the Omen previously.

Either way, let me know when you're doing this and we'll meet up.

Bulk%20Paint.png

Nothing to add, Mr Blur has listed my favourites. The advantage I have of course is that I live in Fife so I'm up here already. The A9 to Inverness and many of the roads off it, particularly in Perth and Kinross, is highly recommended. There are plenty of great roads around me as well, on the way up to Gleneagles and Crieff, East towards St Andrews. Most are deserted most of the time and we have no Gatso's in Fife!