free hit
counters
Jubilee - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Jubilee

Bibs

I remember the Queen visiting Australia in 1970 when I lived in Queensland. She is definitely one stoic monarch.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see what all the fuss is about. We have it in good authority over here that this guy runs your country anyway...

post-6978-0-02364700-1338824485.jpg

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

What's with the hulahoop? :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I had nothing against the Jubilee celebrations until I just watched about an hour of the concert - that must be 20,000 disappointed people.

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

I had nothing against the Jubilee celebrations until I just watched about an hour of the concert - that must be 20,000 disappointed people.

Have to agree with that one - the only way I managed to pass the time was to look up their ages on wiki and ask the audience here in the pub quiz style...Rolf topped it at 82! And what was it with those comedians? Normally very funny people who have never been less funny in their lives. Their jokes made even Charley Farley cringe....

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

In case you wondered why it's called bunting, the word comes from the very 'to bunt', or make good possible from the latin 'bonitare'.

What's with Rolf signing too!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

What's with Rolf signing too!

I think / hope that was a oh crap the next act isnt ready some one fill please moment. The comedians were pretty 2nd rate. Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones can still sing, Cliff Richard need to call it a day. I guess the line up was was the over 60s rather than a younger audiance

What did Rolf sign?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The Beeb are getting a right royal slagging off for their coverage of the river stuff!

Evora NA

I wouldn't say that I am a die hard royalist but I think they do a good job for the country.

I have had the privilege of meeting the queen to speak to on one occasion and also on a separate occasion attending a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Both times were something special and will never be forgotten.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

The BBC appear to have had too much influence on the performers etc, there coverage of the boat pageant was awful, Fearne Cotton is on my hit list I cannot stand the girl, such inane questions, shame her boat didn't sink. I think they also influenced the concert Line up "Comedians" with Lenny Henry and all

NO ONE better diss Stevie Wonder the man is a musical God

The projections on Buck House were impressive.

I'm not an ardent Royalist, but overall think the Queen has done an outstanding duty, when you consider she should never have been Queen, but I do think Andrew is a prize Cock.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

We on the other side of the pond are not [directly] affected by the the rules of governance of the UK, or the monetary effects (plus or mlnus...depending upon your point of view I suppose) on the local economy of such celebrations, but we can certainly appreciate a display of fine pageantry. You Brits have a lock on official pomp and grand spectacle. The "visuals" alone are worth the viewing effort. Bright colors (oh, alright...colours), the precision marching, stirring music, and best of all, the seamless unbroken continuation of hundreds of years of tradition...an area in which we have a ways to go.

"There will always be an England." :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I thought the concert thing was very mixed. I dont think that any of the crowd present would be disappointed though - they chose to go , after all!

The comedians were dreadful. Rolf was the best until he tried to sing.

Very few of the acts could actually sing!!! What a surprise. But not as surprised as Paul McC seems to be.

Grace Jones was impressive though. She still has her voice thpough most of the range and can even HulaHoop at the same time - Bibs, I think it was just because she can!!

I quite liked the fireworks though.

Re the river thing. Well. It was just a load of boats wasn't it?

Agree the BBC were terrible. In what way do cookery and watercolour painting make me appreciate it?

Who were in all the boats? OK, there were a 1000 of them but the Beeb had 4+hours!!!!!

Still, at least we know that Sophie R's relative was there.

Perhaps the main BBC broadcast should have been water based? In it, with life-vests preferably.

I was most disappointed that we didn't get to see the Swordfish and helicopter flypast though.

Rant over. At the end of the day, I definitely wont live to see another Diamond J.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

The Pageant from the Sharp End....

For us it all started on the Thursday. We got underway, laden with bottles and foodstuffs, lifejackets and optimism, at around 1700... destination Teddington. The plan was to stay overnight just above the lock and then go through on the Friday morning and trundle down to West India Dock for muster and scrutineering. We had a Generic Passage Plan provided by the organisers....and I'd spent a few hours customising it for our needs. Lots of tidal sums....although it was intended that the Barrier would be shut, and give us a nearly current free 3metres above chart datumn....at Hammersmith....increasing as we went downstream....we also had to plan for the eventuality that it would be left open and we would have to do the whole thing under normal tidal flow conditions. So...every bridge had to have sums done for depth under the keel and height to the underside of the bridge (ours being quite a lofty vessel to the top of the radar arch)...both for Barrier Closed and Barrier Open. Having done all 4 sums for each bridge , I was happy that we could do the whole deal under any circumstances without problems. But I digress...we got down to Molesey Lock and telephone enquiries showed that Teddington was stuffed full....so we moored to one of the Thames Motor Yacht club boats at their moorings near Hampton Court for the night. We repaired over the bridge to the Chu Chin Chow for some ...er.....Chu Chin...ah...Chow!! After disposing of the Peking type rations, back to the boat and bed. We did some more sums,and threw away the early morning start in favour of 1030....thus avoiding the great press at Teddington and lining us up nicely to arrive at West India Dock at 1500 for the last lock.

Friday dawned reasonably bright and pleasant and we set off downstream, breakfasting under way on the inimitable Bacon Banjos. Through Kingston, down to Teddington, through the big lock and away!! Twickenham and Richmond were soon dispatched, the sluices at Richmond Weir were open (we'd done our sums properly!) and we cruised down past Kew and the old Watney's Brewery towards Hammersmith Bridge. This is always an obstacle to "Carrigane" as she's so tall...there are indicator boards showing the air draft available both sides of the bridge, so you can see if you'll fit! Discretion being the better part etc.etc. we lowered the radar arch...and passed through with about a foot to spare. Down through the moorings at Barn Elms where we would be on Saturday night...and a gentle bimble down through London, over the Pageant course, and on the West India Dock. Got into the lock....right up the front...and finally emerged into the basin....around the corner into the basin we were mooring in, lines made fast and vessels tied up alongside us... Next we had to be scrutineered. Finally, after waiting and waiting, the Scrutineering 'Erbert arrived. We were ready for him!!! Dire accounts had been circulating of boats failing Scrutineering for all sorts of weird reasons..and it was a one shot deal; once failed, no comeback, you're out...no second chances. We had heard that one boat had been failed for not having a softwood bung available, to be hammered into any hole that might appear in the hull!! So Bob had spent some time sawing the end of the ship's rolling pin and whittling it to a nice taper....then hanging it up on a thread behind the cabin door, ready for immediate use!! As for buckets for bailing, we had to hope he would accept the champagne ice buckets.....and he did. Liked my passage plan, too....and we'd passed!!! Then we had to queue up for our compulsory wrist bands...proof we'd been security checked....followed by the final briefing at the Hilton, with free drinks provided by the Hotel. That was the usual faffing about, all H&S and nothing about the meat of the thing which was getting a flotilla that looked good, with the boats accurately aligned. One boat length between boats in column, two boat widths between in the rows. And that's it for Friday. A few beers and some Lebanese nosh from a handy restaurant and time to turn in.

Saturday we left West India Dock at about 0700 and went back upstream again to the Barn Elms moorings. Sadly, no opportunity was taken to practise station keeping so that all boats could be drilled into the necessary standard of accuracy, giving a tiddly flotilla fit for the Royal Gaze....no, we all shambled up through London higgledy piggledy....apart from us, as we took the opportunity to get some station keeping practise...and both Bob and I could stay spot on without effort. Arrived at Barn Elms, downstream of Hammersmith Bridge by the Harrods Furniture Depository....got moored between our designated buoys....and that was it for Saturday; Just sit tight until Sunday....crew being a bit restive, the Water Taxi Service was called for for a run ashore to the Dove pub. An hour and a quarter later, somebody finally arrived and off they went to the pub...leaving me (a volunteer!) to preside over the vessel and the moorings. Peace descended upon me and my surroundings.....aaahhhh. The mob returned several hours later, and we dined on assorted chilled nosh done in the microwave and a curry produced by Marilyn. And so to bed.....

We had planned Sunday to the last detail. Passengers to arrive no earlier than 0930, giving us crew time to get up, do comprehensive engine checks and have breakfast. In reality, no sooner had we struggled out of our pits and turned on the telly than the TV picture showed us the Water Taxi coming alongside us and our passengers coming aboard....the camera was on the north bank just by our boat! So much for forward planning. There was final scrutineering to be done....after we had our full complement of passengers, including one aged lady in a wheel chair, whom we would cheerfully have sacrificed later on....and the scrutineering was again successful, and we got our Pageant Flag. The day had been dull but dry so far...and stayed that way as the fleet slipped it's'moorings and started to shamble downstream. I'm not surprised the TV showed very little of our efforts...they were totally dire and I was embarrased to be part of it. We stayed one boat length behind the vessel in front....but every other boat around us was out of position...one, "Rubicon" by hundreds of feet, as was "Suu Kuu" and some little barge thing as well. They should all have been in line in the row in front of us....but only our boat in front, "Knot 'Arf" made any attempt to get it right...and he was being got at by his club commodore on "Rubicon" to drop back and stay in line with him!! Of course, this meant that all the boats following were unable to get into the right places....and the Flotilla Leader didn't say anything about it, so it persisted and turned the entire affair from a neat, well presented flotilla to a bunch of boats looking like some madwoman's knitting. Nothing could be done...so we just concentrated on getting our bit right!! Down through the bridges we went, until around the Albert Bridge it started to rain....then it teemed down with mad voracity....I was alone on the flybridge as prophesied, until Marilyn showed up with an umbrella. That helped.....but offended the eye of the skipper, so I ended up with a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes so I could see, and the unbrella was withdrawn. So....old Mercedes jacket slowly getting sodden, lifejacket, jeans, baseball cap. Not quite the clothes to be wearing on parade in front of the Sovereign!! There was no let up in the wetness...and the Pageant kept stopping and starting, we never did get to maintain the steady 4 knots that we had been assured of at briefing! I was stunned that there were so many people all lining the banks and cheering....soggy spectators cheering soggy participants......but there they were, upper lips properly stiff, not going to let a bit of rain spoil the day. Staggering. Finally we got to Tower Bridge, opened for us, and we came under the open bascules and there they were...the Royals....the point of all this misery(!)

I glanced to my left...saw HM the Q and the D of E standing there, in all this foul weather, still cheefully taking the salute of their subjects...I raised my soggy baseball cap to them...and was left staring at Bob's back as he stood up to wave!! I got about a second or so of a glimpse of my Sovereign.....and then we were heading away downstream to West India Dock once more!!

Getting from Tower Bridge, back through the lock to our moorings, took longer than the rest of the pageant...we got to WI Dock and the world was full of vessels milling about, and doing everything except going into the lock!!! We continued down to the Barrier (closed, as advertised) and back up again to the lock where even more vessels were charging about...so the Port of London Authority launch took us all on a little cruise up to Greenwich and back again. This worried me....as we were being followed by the narrow boats, and the idea of them leapfrogging us and getting in first was galling. Needn't have worried...the PLA took them on the same little cruise as we had just undertaken, and after a few minutes we were - at last - in the lock. Phew, indeed!! Still raining, of course....we passed in through the lock and got to our moorings, got the other boats rafted up alongside, changed out of my soggies and we finally made it to the floating Chinese Restaurant in the dock for 2145 instead of the 1930 we had booked for...they were a bit cheesed of but we were sufficiently numerous for them to let us in!! Thus the day ended with more chinese food, nobody drownded, the Queen saluted, and a fine time was had by all....even drowned rat me!! People being taken away with hypothermia was as bad as it got.

Wonder if we'll be doing it all again for the 70th anniversary???(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

A classic "human interest story" anecdotal view of the event, John. Much appreciated. :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I was most disappointed that we didn't get to see the Swordfish and helicopter flypast though.

Yes that was a pity. Lucky for those of us in Somerset we've seen them in training and I had a lovely flypast the other day. 9 helicopters in close diamond formation - merlins, seakings, lynx, + + an awesome sight about 200 feet overhead - fit for a queen I'd have said!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

The flotilla was inspiring to the extent of seeing people battle manually down the river through the wind and rain, some singing and playing instruments at the same time...that was what got the patriotism and "Dunkirk Spirit" recalled for me as an un-monarchist, although fair dinkum to Liz and Phil who gamely stood through the whole thing and graciously ignored the red velvet thrones set aside for them.

BBC coverage squirmingly embarrassing and decidely lese - majesty-not that its my place to get worked up about it but why wasn`t one of the celebrated Dimbleby broadcasting dynasty present ? Bring back Raymond Baxter and Cliff Michelmore at least . John Barrowman ? Puh-lease !

I like to see people having a good time against adversity but it`s signally ironic that we are meant to celebrate people who have never known same for all practical purposes.....

Our very own Felix was on one of the Protection boats alongside the royal barge!

I thought the whole long weekend was brilliant. My daughter was alongside the river for the boat procession and also went yesterday. She didn't have any trouble getting close.....Her and her mates all had massive jugs of Pimms and said what a brilliant day it was!

For me, I just think that, royalist or no, this whole country needed to be reminded of our pride in not only our institutions but in ourselves and the amount of goodwill this event/events created is awesome.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Evora NA

I agree Tony!! from were I was it was brilliant! I meet people from all over the world and everyone said. The Royal family is what they think of as been a large part of what the UK stands for...

I meet people from all over the world and everyone said. The Royal family is what they think of as been a large part of what the UK stands for...

Thats a bit disapointing isnt it? I thought we as a nation were a little more than the performance of one family. However does that say more about us or the other people looking in?