free hit
counters
Clutch pedal - its happened again - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TBD

Clutch pedal - its happened again

An update on mine. (A 2014 NA with just 13K miles).

After my initial low pedal in July I have had a number of further occurrences since, all after the car has been stood in my garage for a few days or more. I've always been able to resolve it by pulling the pedal back up and subsequently pumping it a few times. I took it to my local Lotus service agent this week, the initial plan being to see if simply bleeding the system might resolve it. However it soon became apparent that all was not well with the master cylinder and it took some considerable time for them to get the pedal back again such that I was able to drive home again. So a new master cylinder has been ordered for fitment next week. Although now outside of warranty, given the low mileage and the fact it already has the later master cylinder fitted, the agent has approached Lotus to see if they might be prepared to offer some goodwill gesture towards the cost of replacement....fingers crossed.

I could do with it properly sorted pronto as I'm booked up for Lotus 70 at the end of the month :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you end up having to pay for it, you might as well go with an aftermarket option so you don’t have a repeat problem. My last Evora S (2014) is on it’s third master cylinder. I think the person I sold it to went ahead and replaced the MC with a BOE offering from the US. 

A big thanks must go to Paul Shipley of PJS Sports Cars who pleaded my case with Lotus who then did after all show significant goodwill by offering to cover the cost of the replacement master cylinder, it's associated hoses, fluids and 2/3 of the labour cost so I am well pleased with that. Of course when the clam was removed it soon became apparent that the other failing - the mud flap brackets also required attention. They were rusting badly and a few of the fixings were compromised so I took the opportunity to have some stainless replacement ones fitted at the same time.

Given that the new plastic master cylinder is presumably exactly the same as the old plastic one I'm hoping the same problem will not occur again anytime soon.

The main thing though is that it's back and just in time for Lotus70! :)

• Like 1

Hi @Phil S1, how has your pedal been in the year since the master cylinder was replaced?

Mine went this morning, also just outside the warranty period, and also with very few ~15k miles on the clock.

Hi @trcm, sorry to hear that. I'm very pleased to say I've had no problems since the master cylinder was replaced and race spec fluid used, that said I've only done a couple of thousand miles since so maybe not the most exhaustive of tests.

Hopefully Lotus will be similarly sympathetic with you.

All the best

Phil