free hit
counters
beginning the body work - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

beginning the body work

well it was a nice evening so after getting a few supplies i decided it was time to start getting the rear spoiler ready for paint. all now filled just a few more coats of primer and flatting then on to the paint.

20120522_190206.jpg

20120522_190139.jpg

once the rear spoiler is done its on to the front suspension (well after i have completed the bits of glassing on teh under trays)

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you need to low bake the fibreglass to get the moisture out? I had a fibreglass spoiler on a previous car, and it would keep poping the paint from underneath as the moisture tried to escape in the heat from the sun.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Peter,

It appears your son has adopted a supervisory position...lol... or was it best not to let him too near the sandpaper ?

Looking towards the end results.

Had a chuckle...I had to translate the bit about the blind man in the jumble sale...

What part of the undertrays do you have to glass up?

What are you painting the side trims in? mine have a sort of hammered finish to them along with the Engine cover, They could both do with a spruce up.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

well i just cleaned them 1st with white spirit, masked them up, a couple of coats of plastic primer (not too thick on the coats) then 3 or 4 thin coats of trade matt black. if you are doing the engine cover it may be worth using some heat resistant paint

well a bit more done today lh under tray almost ready for primer and paint, the boot floor passenger tab is now repaired just needs drilling and the insided of the boot floor to be prepped and paint then finally the boot floor can go in and be bolted down. also managed to paint the vac pump housing to match the side trims (although they are not screwed in yet, just in place), may also do the air filter to match.

20120527_162331.jpg

20120527_163740.jpg

20120527_162356.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

You look very young to own such a car.

Amateurs built the Ark

yep young thats ,me (well my 8 year old lou)

well this evenings progress below

20120528_215526.jpg

20120528_215534.jpg

20120528_222151.jpg

20120528_222224.jpg

also managed to drill the holes in the lh undertray also had the carpets washed in the washine machine (much to the wife's annoyance) came up very well

well only managed a bit of sanding and a test fit of the boot floor(as its being held in with alloy rivet nuts) also pics show the rubber seal that i have fitted to the boot floor which should stop having to reseal the floor everytime its removed.

20120601_231206.jpg

20120601_231139.jpg

20120601_231128.jpg

Good stuff Peter. :thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

well spoiler now fitted. next wil be the bumpers and front spoiler. oics not great as using an iphone 3 and not my galaxy note.

thanks for the positive replys.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

This part I am especially interested in the front end removal. I now have to get the front of my car straightened out from the dealership fiasco. Curious to see how yours looks in comparison to a " Lotus trained bodyshop repairman " job.

I get the feeling that whomever I take the car to I will be assisting in the process.

I can say this much already...your painting skills are much better than the Lotus dealers

Edited by cjtpb13