free hit
counters
beginning the body work - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

beginning the body work

hello christopher. well thanks for the positive comments. i have started the front end removal (looks like it will be a bastard) as everything is rusted (good uk weather) pics below on tonights progress. i'm trying to get the rear bumper / front bumper and lower valance prepped (paint and front shocks to be ordered tomorrow along withs new grills etc) looks like all the valance nuts are rounded and it will be a real pain to get these off as access is tight (although a stud remover may just get in).

20120619_180714.jpg

20120619_180536.jpg

20120619_180555.jpg

20120619_180606.jpg

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, i was either going stainless or alloy as the fittings are crap, also the rear vallance mounts are badley rusted so i may just give the lot to my exhaust guys and see what price for the lot in stainless

When I made those fittings I jus bought some 20 * 5 mm flat and a couple of cobalt drills. Then I spend some time (1 or 2 evenings) sawing, drilling and a little bit of filing and finally i had the nuts / bolts TIG welded at a local firm. I didn't break an arm and a leg on the fittings. The angled perforated plates in the picture are reinforcement plates which are part of the under tray (bonded in).

I forget to post another picture for some hard to reach nuts, they are situated between the headlight well and the front of the car, so here it is:

post-721-0-30728300-1340143960.jpg

Esprit Freak

I can understand people working late hours on their cars, but couldn't you have found a comfier place to sleep?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 4 weeks later...

well front bumper off and lower vallance removed. there are a few ways of getting to the rusted nuts and bolts. a bit fiddeley but now done i dont think i would be phased by doing another. everything rusted or spinning. so will all be new.

20120718_121158.jpg

20120718_121152.jpg

well todays progress. managed to paint the rear and front bumper (although only the rear is in the pics). next up is the lower front front spoiler primed and should be painted tomorrow then its flatting and polishing.

20120728_153449.jpg

20120728_153440.jpg

20120728_163710.jpg

20120728_172357.jpg

Looks good, how is the colour match against the body?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

i think the colour match will be good. i should have the bumper against the car tomorrow so i will take a pic or two. i use spray putty thinned down by 10%. also the high build primer in the can (but that takes 24hrs to go off (pretty much the same stuff (almost the same colour as well) i only used a £10 spray gun with cellouse paint. (much orange peel) so i spent quite a few hous flatting it back & a couple of bits need blowing in (but i was expecting to do that with a cheap gun) also a few imperfections which i dont mind as the rest of the car would look odd with mirror like front and rear bumpers and rear spoiler (which i have re-done) and not perfect doors etc may sound a bit strange but i was trying to get a reasonable finish to fit the car. the rest of the bumpers should be done in the next day or two (weather depending as i am spraying outside) pics below:-

20120801_115322.jpg

20120801_115304.jpg

20120801_164353.jpg

20120801_164337.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

well rear bumper now done and with the car pic to show colour match excuse the fingerprints on it as it will be repolished once fitted i think it will be a good match as the car is filthy and will be compounded(should be making the brackets and fitting this weekend) managed to paint the rest of the bumpers etc this morning as teh weather looks good so should be flatting andpolishing and beging the refitting next week as well as making the brackets.

20120802_154249.jpg

20120803_122651.jpg

20120803_122636.jpg

20120803_122629.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

well i managed to flat back the remaning panels today, also compounded tcut and polished the front lower spoiler and the rear spoiler. also started on the front bumper but the head on the compounded fell apart so that should be done tomorrow. als began making the brackets to hold everything back on so should also have these complete by the end of tomorrow. pics below

20120804_234104.jpg

20120804_234746.jpg

Coming along nicely. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

well front bumper now done. all brackets now cut just need drilling so i hopeing that i can begin to put it back together next week.then just an oil cooler front headlights front discs and compound then mot time may be able to have it on the road for the beginning of next month.

20120805_134123.jpg

20120805_134132.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well i began putting the car back together yesterday. all the panels i painted once compounded looked not quite right. so all were sanded primed and repainted again. now all buffed polished. rear spoiler is fitted. rear bumper is fitted and all lights in and working, rear splitter fitted.

front bumper is on with the indicators fitted and working (just needs tightening down). to make the refitting of teh front bumber a bit easier when i made the new brackets i shortened the length of the bolts (the one located on the inner wings) did away with the nylock nuts and used x2 nuts on each bolt as its much easier to spin these down finger tight and the nip them up due to the restricted access. the front lower spoiler will only take a few mins to fit (test fitted it before bumper put on) i also shortened the length on these bolts so quicker to take off if needed.the only fixing i kept was the long one on the rear bumber as that cleaned up fine so painted and re-rivetted to the bumper. i found that refitting the rear bumper was best done from drivers side to passenger side and the front bumper was very easy pick it up over the towing eye and then clip in the edges (inside wheel arch) then do up the two inside bolts (loosley) then loosley do up the two corner ones (access from underneath the bumper through the access slot ) then you should have enough play to position the front five bolts through into the front of the bonnet) if they dont quite line up i streched the end hook on a bungie and applying some pressue line them up and gently tap the bumper (i used my hand) until you can see or feel the bolt heads on the inside of the bonnet. all this done by myself so easily do-able if you have no help.

just need to make the front grill and remove the front oil cooler (refit new one) a couple of headlights then off for the m.o.t.

well pics of the bumpers and spoilers fitted now all bolted up just the oil cooler to replace and then the lower front spoiler fog lamps front grill,undertrays and front lip to fit then a good wash and buff and polish.

20120823_211711.jpg

20120823_211705.jpg

20120823_211558.jpg

20120823_211857.jpg

20120823_211517.jpg

20120823_211404.jpg

well yesterday the s4 sounded like a bag of spanners, after sailorbob and my self had a good look around a bolt had worked loose on the back of the pas pump. now put back on and threadlocked . number plate plynth repaired and refitted car started;. a bit of a coolent leak (looks like from a connector) should have most of the bits fitted tomorrow night. then its wheel painting time. a couple of vids below

th_20120830_164659.jpg

th_20120830_164758.jpg

well main front rad cooling duct on. horns rewired and refitted, passenger side oil cooler duct refitted and the chargecooler pipes screwed into place. just need to fit the eight lower spoiler brackets for the front lip and then the drivers side oil cooler duct, front side trays and lip and then the heat shields near the exhaust and the rear undertray. then the car could be mot ed but i want to replace the lights and paint the wheels.

Did you say you sprayed with cellulose. I resprayed the back end of my car using color matched cans. After much compounding etc it looked ok but you need to be very careful since a lot of substances remove cellulose. Tar marks and any petrol products. A drip from the petrol pump will remove the paint surface and soften the cellulose. Thats even after a good polish and then using polish sealant.

What looked a good job to start with is fast deteriorating

hello Mike. I used cellouse. but i was unhappy with the colour match when the front bumper was on the car (it looked too light a green) . so i went for base coat (which i had used 1st on the rear spoiler before changing my mind and re-doing in cellouse) and then laquered it. the paint for my car does not show laquer but the car is laquered hence the re-paint. the car will be rebuffed when the work is complete. pretty happy with the results perhaps a bit more flatting on the top of the rear spoiler is needed but that can be done still on the car.

well i managed to get the s4 out of the garage this evening should begin the undertray and front lip re-fit this weekend but i wanted to check the colour in the light as well as getting it up to temperature.

20120903_194838.jpg

20120903_194855.jpg