free hit
counters
Bahar Suspended - Page 14 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

News from the bunker

It's beginning to pong down here a bit now. Dany's still cutting about in his Lotus Oringnals Y-fronts but now he's started wearing his own aftershave - 'Redbull Musk by Dany' and even though he's a marketing genius, it is a bit whiffy.

So, the other day when I was sorting out the stand for the space rocket show, that he wanted Buckingham Palace to host (he knows people there, apparently) I asked him who he wanted to do the catering. He thought I said Caterham and punched me in the face. Now I have to wear a sign saying 'Tony Fernandes is a Liberal Deomcrat, who's never worked at Ferrari, who can't come second in a race and I am his lover' which I thought was a bit mean. Tony never struck me that way - he always looked like a solid Tory voter to me.

Anyway, Manic called. Apparently the new guy turned up with his own socket set and is busy checking the torque settings of all the wheel nuts. And he's made Manic redesign the wing mirrors for the Esprit again. Poor old Manic; he's on his thirty ninth revision now. I told Dany that cameras don't actually work in the real work and he applied a bit direct marketing to my face. Man, this guy is good! And, apparently when the new guy visit the V8 test bed, he found out that Dany had told Wolverine to secretly build a V25 instead. Apparently the market is crying out for odd cylindered engines. It was supposed to go in the revised Eterne, to be renamed the Enorm and marketed as a twenty five seater minibus. Dany says that the market is crying out for a premium luxury minibus, built in Kazakstan and made out of yak hide. I can't see it but Dany is epic. Anyway, the new guy has turned it off and removed frois

Sudders and Dany

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hear Dany's client's clothes are made of the finest silk . So lightweight you can't even see the threads!!!    

Tut tut - they've spelt arse wrong

Wow thats one amazing looking salon. Eat your heart out Nicky Clarke....   Buddsy 

Posted Images

Dany, get off! I'm typing.

...gras from the canteen menu.

Luckily Dany doesn't want to work for the Chinese anymore, not unless they offer him a job, anyway. He has had one response to his CV mind. A job offer has come in from TVR. Apparently they're looking for a guy with premium exlusive car industry experience. They don't want to launch any cars, mind, just issue some dodgy drawings of cars that will never be built to Autocar every two years. Dany - being a marketing prince amongst pansies - thinks he could be the man for the job.

Manic just called back. Now the new guy has banned the sale of Redbull in the canteen. Dany isn't happy cos he was getting commission on that sweet deal.

Dany wants to know, if he ran for MP for Norfolk, based on the fact that the current guy is a muppet, would anyone vote for him? He thinks politics may be his calling. If not, then he's thinking of replacing Hammond on TG. After all he is a marketing genius, as the Lotus Ethos and Type 125 clearly prove.

Yes, alright Dany, I'll do your armpits, just gimme a moment!

Thank god, I have been waiting for a bunker update all day.

Don't worry, we're still down here. And when the revolution comes, Dany will return to the land of the Eloi (that's a reference to The Time Machine, by the way, but I may have misspelled it - Dany ate the only copy we have of it down here, yesterday) triumphant. And Ferrari will ask him to come back to launch their new MPV/hydrogen/1 seater race series and all will be well with the world again. Go Dany!

Sudders and Dany

Steve Cropley@StvCr

Shoot me down maybe, but I'm not happy Bahar's left Lotus. He had a plan. Now, unless Hicom blokes have remarkable insight, we have a vacuum

I agree 100%, it took a while for me to get DB but I finally got it... albeit too late. I'd love to think the likes of Zimmermann would stay but somehow I can't see a faceless businessman having the passion or vision to keep life interesting enough for people of that calibre. Perhaps the 5 car plan was a pipe dream but it got people excited about Lotus again and the Esprit was starting to look like it would finally happen. I can't say I hold out much hope right now but somehow I feel I should keep the faith... all in all very depressing news though.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Dany agrees

Sudders and Dany

:hrhr:

Some questions for Dany, Mark.

1) Did he ever consider releasing details of the other vehicles he was planning for Lotus? (especially the motorcycles)

2) How was the renaming of the Red Bull Air Race series going? (I know that's meant to be hush hush)

3) Is there any truth to the rumors that he was speaking to NASA to assist with sponsorship of relaunching the space program (I believe he wanted to rename the Hubble telescope to the HuBahar telescope?)

If you could ask, it would be greatly appreciated since we couldn't seem to get many straight answers when he was at Hethel.

Ta much.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Dany: "Mark, could you please pass the mousse? No! No! The chocolate mousse, not the hair gel, you twit!"

Mark: "So sorry. It was an honest mistake, mate. You'll be wanting the sprinkles as well, I assume?"

Dany: "Indeed. And I couldn't help but notice that we're running rather low on the brandy snaps and blancmange."

Mark: "No worries. I've a decade's worth of banoffee pie in the food locker. And tomorrow we're having Tavuk göğsü for the evening meal, which should warm the cockles of your Turkish heart."

Dany: "You're a thoughtful bloke, Mark, and as a token of my appreciation, I'm permitting you use of a full three quarters of the duvet tonight."

Mark: "Quite kind of you, sir. It's become apparent to me that the "hunker in the bunker" life has served to mellow you out somewhat. I've not seen you attempt to call the Baldwin brothers for over a week now."

Dany: "Don't get too excited Marky boy, it's been mostly due to the dodgy mobile reception in this mole pit. Any chance of you putting an aerial topside? And your internet service positively sucks."

Mark: "We're not opening that hatch for nine more years, web breath, so get over it."

Dany: "That's bit harsh, mate. My Facebook account will go dormant by then. And with it the only 'friends' I have left. Get it? Get it?"

Mark: "If that's the level of humour I'm to expect, it's going to be a very long decade. You know any Ernst & Young type jokes?

Hey, how about this one? Why did the local independent accountant want to work with KPMG?…. So he could upgrade to a slide rule."

Dany: "Aarrggghhhh! It's going to be a really long decade."

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I'm expecting a small raft of changes in the hierarchy of the company but as long they get to keep Coco, Zimmermann, James and a few others the company will be fine!

I hope this is true too. What worries me is that I think it's important to have some charismatic and passionate figure who has a vision of success, who can hold a team together to achieve it and push towards some deliverables along the way, and there's a bit of a vacuum right now.

I have no idea whether Dany was good or bad in the end. I do know he was charismatic and I also know he had the chance to assemble a very impressive team of people in the cause. It doesn't bother me one jot about the marketing tie-ins with various rappers or whatever. However, looking forward, I can't see the statements from the guy in charge right now as indicating that he's the man to make the future happen. Hopefully they'll find someone else with a bit of fire in their belly. Dry corporate-speak is no use at all when you are trying to gather a large amount of other people's money to try to make an exotic range of high price sports cars which just might turn a decent profit some years down the line.

There has to be some emotion and passion in there. There has to be someone willing to move Lotus out of the comfort zone it's occupied for so long making a range of cars which barely scrape a profit on good years.

Oh well. Good luck Lotus!

Edited by cnapan

I hope this is true too. What worries me is that I think it's important to have some charismatic and passionate figure who has a vision of success, who can hold a team together to achieve it and push towards some deliverables along the way, and there's a bit of a vacuum right now.

I suspect that they all have similar equity-linked contracts as Bahar reportedly had. Their decision to stay will likely to be influenced more by their perception of the future value of that element than the charisma of the leader.

No.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yep. Spend it but you're not allowed to actually have anything to show for it at the end. Genius Simon!! :) :) :)

Mark, can you possibly ask Dany why he left Ferrari and Red Bull? I've always wondered!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Kimbers,

is it not obvious why DB left Ferrari and Red Bull? Red Bull dont manufacture a sports car and Ferrari only build really expensive red things that look sh1t IMHO; where as Lotus ..............

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Mark, can you possibly ask Dany why he left Ferrari and Red Bull? I've always wondered!

Apparently, according to the Man, he left Redbull when he found out that they didn't make racing cars and he left Ferrari when he realised that the Italians don't make a decent fizzy drink. Actually, that's not true, he left Farrari cos they wouldn't give him a free house and private jet.

Other questions answered later, Dany wants me to help with some sketches for his new TVR range. I think the six wheel version with the bubble cockpit and massive rear fins is just a work in progress. But then again, he is a marketing leviathan.

Sudders and Dany

Does it have a driver called Parker?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm not sure about all this DB bashing. OK so I wasn't his biggest fan either but perhaps I'm thinking it's better the devil you know. I'm far more fearful of what lies ahead for Lotus without him at the helm.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Hey, I'm with you. Why do you think I'm down here? Dany is ace and I've just checked with him and he thinks he's ace too. I only declared a Three Purple Alpha emergency cos I knew the new guy would rock up with a socket set and get all facts and figures. Dany is a marketing orangutan (big and orange) amongst minkeys. D'you think Manic and Wolverine will stay without Dany steering a course though these austere times immune to the vagrancies of budgets and CFOs and the tediousness of expense claim forms. This guy was thinking big, looking beyond the market to a point that not even the market knew was there. He was bringing to market cars for people who didn't even know there was a market for people like them. So I agree, Lotus will be a poorer place now (mainly cos Dany's legged it with the petty cash tin) without that young boy who had a dream and the dream was to get the smeg out of Turkey, but later, although it wasn't his dream back when he was a young boy growing up in a turnip field, took a risk and moved to Norfolk, only to find that he was back in a turnip field. And then he took a gamble that turned into punt that ended up a discarded betting slip on the floor of corporate politics. Dany is ace and I wanted an Elite. With rocket pods and sharks teeth and an automated hair mousse dispenser not a Proton in a pretty frock. So I say go back to Malaysia new guy and let Dany deliver (although not until the Esprit's wing mirrors have been signed off, obviously).

Oh, and we finally managed to open a tin of spam. We used Dany's curling tongs. Took five hours. Dany doesn't like it though. So he's in for a bit of a shock once we've worked though the tinned caviar and artichoke hearts.

I agree (about the spam, bloody awful stuff). Dany.

Sudders and Dany

From a 7 June 2012 article by Steve Davies...

"From the information we’ve been able to gather, Bin Farikullah seems like a safe pair of hands. An engineer, family man and an executive who is more than competent in the manufacture and assembly of automotive vehicles and components. However, there is nothing in his past experience that would qualify him to lead a sports car company, nor create the kind of marketing and commercial deals necessary to build a strong international dealer network.

With Bin Farikullah being appointed to the role of COO, his role is clearly intended to oversee the operation of Group Lotus’ businesses (including its successful engineering and consulting firm) and either wait for a CEO to join, or be the caretaker until Lotus is eventually sold to another party."

Makes one wonder if we'll even get to know the new devil. Still...

"DRB-Hicom has confirmed this evening that no further comment will be passed on their dismissal of Dany Bahar, however we expect a statement outlining Bin Farikullah’s immediate plans to re-build confidence with the company’s customers, suppliers and dealers."

You can make your own inquiries, if you like. I'm certain that corporate clarification is but a phone call away. :ice:

Corporate Headquarters*

Wisma DRB-HICOM

Shah Alam, Selangor 40150

Malaysia

Phone: 60 3 2052 8000

Fax: 60 3 2052 8099

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20120608001156/Article/index_html

Business Times reported in April that Lotus was in dire straits, with Proton having to pump in between £5 million and £8 million a week into it.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Seems like this could leave Lotus cars standing or falling on the new Esprit, and a REALLY high chance that it will be yet another model brought to market with too little development. I think the "Lotus" V8 could be a real problem here, if it is not 100% reliable and developed, I think it will knock the brand of both Cars & Engineering so far that any sale of the company will be for the IP, and the brand will die

Have to agree with Simon. That is a hell of an amount to chew through each week!

Is that on top of the bank loans?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Seems like this could leave Lotus cars standing or falling on the new Esprit, and a REALLY high chance that it will be yet another model brought to market with too little development. I think the "Lotus" V8 could be a real problem here, if it is not 100% reliable and developed, I think it will knock the brand of both Cars & Engineering so far that any sale of the company will be for the IP, and the brand will die

Agreed... but that's if the new Esprit makes it to the showrooms. As much as understand the appeal of a bespoke engine I can see it being an achilles heel too. I'm sure the new boss is looking closely at the figures in WZ's dept. Hopefully there's other areas to cut back on... the motorsport bills alone must be spectacular.

Lotus Engineering has developed a whole set of engines for other car manufacturers in the last few years. Why shouldn't they get the V8 right? The V8 s designed to be downscalable to V6 and 4 cylinder engines. I'm sure these designs will be resold to other manufacturers, be they European, Malasian or Chinese.

You can't win in an exclusive market with a Toyota engine and the Mercedes 8 several exoticars are using weighs tons.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!